Can't bear to throw stuff out?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Can't bear to throw stuff out?

Postby DMcNay » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:42 pm

Take a look at this crazy shit. You'll be down the dump throwing crap away by the end of the week:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=6214531f27048ab1c25ec2683222be21&threadid=830487&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:00 am

that's mad. worryingly i can see some of that tendencies in myself, of hanging on to junk because it might come in useful, or it looks nice, or any other reason.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:15 am

That is just crazy - that's beyond even an obsession.

I do have about 9 Apple Mac's under my bed tho, so I should shut up - my house might look like that in ten years!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:37 am

::):
Last edited by paladin on Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:38 am

I could see myself going this way if I was on my own. I never pick things up and put them away. My study has books sitting where I left them. I'm tidying up tonight....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:46 am

::):
Last edited by paladin on Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:00 am

purplegrum wrote:That is just crazy - that's beyond even an obsession.

I do have about 9 Apple Mac's under my bed tho, so I should shut up - my house might look like that in ten years!

phew! i thought i was bad with 5 macs!! although i do have a fully operational first issue mac classic and packaging. :D
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:19 am

I did like her glass insulators...but my god. Someone give the woman a shredder and a skip. Or a smaller house. Downsize her storage space. It works for me. I have chucked out around 6 bags of useless junk in the last week. It has been quite liberating.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bing Buzby » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:21 am

The is nothing better than looking into the life of a complete loon to make you feel better about your own minor quirks.

Makes walking down an abandonned railway tunnel on sunday morning seem quite normal.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:26 am

Sharon wrote:I did like her glass insulators...but my god. Someone give the woman a shredder and a skip. Or a smaller house. Downsize her storage space. It works for me. I have chucked out around 6 bags of useless junk in the last week. It has been quite liberating.

Apparently she doesn't want to. I read about five pages of this, and her son says that whenever he mentions tidying up and throwing stuff out she freaks.

Although he later made mention of getting her some help.

He posted a pic of her later. She looks quite sweet, like someones granny. You wouldn't think she was a complete fruitloop.

I think I could go this way, though. Whenever I hear friends are clearing out some junk the first thing I say is "Any books? Let me know what you're chucking" like I might miss out on some rare and valuable collectors item that will complete my collection.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:30 am

Hmmm... she somewhat confuses my theory on men and their collections. Although she is clearly quite INSANE so perhaps my theory stands its ground still?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:32 am

Sharon wrote:Hmmm... she somewhat confuses my theory on men and their collections. Although she is clearly quite INSANE so perhaps my theory stands its ground still?

Remind me of this theory again? Because I seem to recall last time at least one woman admitting she collected stuff, thus blowing your theory out of the water.

And my mum collects stuff as well, although not as much any more, and not as much as Mrs Fruitloop USA....
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:37 am

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=698

The theory is still a tad underdeveloped. More research needs to be conducted. I have yet to collate my current research.

Yeah, ok, women collect stuff too...usually small china shoes or dools or other equally hideous and creepy things. God I hate small ornaments sooooooooo much (wrong thread for that comment).
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:41 am

Sharon wrote:http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=698

The theory is still a tad underdeveloped. More research needs to be conducted. I have yet to collate my current research.

Yeah, ok, women collect stuff too...usually small china shoes or dools or other equally hideous and creepy things. God I hate small ornaments sooooooooo much (wrong thread for that comment).

Yep.

There's an interesting side to the collecting theory. Men collect things which are, on the whole, useful or which serve a purpose. Books, CDs, toys even.

Women collect things which gather dust and "look nice" even if they are, as we all know, bits of tacky sh1te.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:45 am

I'd have to disagree with your theory there. Most of what I've collected is complete junk, some of which looks nice. On my desk just now I have some bits of weathered glass collected off the beach recently, sitting in a plastic cup. I have in the past collected such useful items as pizza boxes (stopped at about 4ft high) and empty Coke cans
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions