Westfield bunker

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Westfield bunker

Postby Captain Brittles » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:53 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:30 pm

I live in Eastfield so I know where I'm going to be walking my dog this weekend!

I've not come across this before. I had no idea it was there. I'll ask around to see if I can uncover anything too.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:30 pm

nice find! i have to get myself a dog.. otherwise people just question what ur doing in dark places at odd times of the night... looks like some sort of "bomb proof" shelter or maybe a watch post like you might see at old airfields although i know very little about this stuff so maybe someone else can fill us in? just out of interest are the white symbols on the inside walls just grafitti or did they say something?
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:36 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:59 pm

Is there or was there? a factory or works nearby Cap'n Brittles?

Looks like a WW2 air raid shelter to protect workers. I've seen similar types near the canal at Anniesland before they were filled in and had houses built on top of them.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:56 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:16 pm

I think there's a shelter as described still visible at the junction of Bearsden Road and Temple Road, bricked up and sealed, with grass banking.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:33 pm

Where exactly Apollo? I can't place anything unusual there, just the car sales and houses.
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:48 pm

I may be wrong, it's a bit of a while since I was last there, but at the junction of the streets I mentioned, there should be a bridge ahead of you if you were heading to the Cross, and traffic lights with a filter to the left.

I think that's the place, the structure should be in the grass of the area on the left. but the traffic on that road is terrible and I've never managed to stop for a pic. If you don't know it's there, you'd probably miss it in the grass etc.

Being pessimistic, if it's not that junction, there's not that many on that road to have a look at if you've got wheels.

Afraid I'm not due to have any reason to be there for a while, so can't do better at the moment.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:12 pm

Ive had been up at The Mitchell(Glasgow room)Library to look at a journal called Building Industries(Incorporating Scottish Architect)which ran from 1890 odds through to the 1960's. It is full of incredible information on tonnes of things of interest to forum users. I was up looking to find info on provision for the working class population in the event of air attack in the impending second world war. Westminster refused to accomidate new houses with air raid shelters on the grounds of cost. The first air raid shelters in the East end were above ground !. By 1940 permission had been granted to build the city's first underground shelter in Springburn in 1940. It was designed to accomidate several hundred people. I would recommend the "Building Industries" journal to any forum members conducting research.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:34 am

any ideas where it was in springburn?
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Westfield bunker

Postby Captain Brittles » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:32 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:30 pm

Sorry i dont know where about's in Springburn the air raid shelter was. Building Industries journal might be worth a good trawl through in the hope of finding later references. Or maybe finding out if there is an old folks group or local history group in Springburn you could talk to. I must admit i am now very curious.
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:30 am

I think there was one in Vulcan street in springburn
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Westfield bunker

Postby fullfatmilk » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:58 am

Hi folks

I know it's been quite some time since this post was last discussed but i've only just registered to use the forum, so here goes.

As a couple of the posts on this topic have been removed, i'm piecing together what's left and making the assumption that the reference to Westfield Bunker relates to what i remember from when i was a wee guy.

I had relatives who used to stay in Leckethill (Ave ?) in Westfield, Cumbernauld, whilst out walking their dog i remember stumbling across a partially underground bunker/shelter that, in consideration, is probably what sparked my interest in the hidden/unseen/forgotten relics of yesteryear.

It's been a number of years since i been out there but from memory i'd leave Leckethill, past a v small kids playpark, 100 metres further on was an entrance to playing fields, to the left was a play park (for bigger kids) and ahead (to the right) were more playing fields (poss football park), keep walking (to the right) for about 10 mins, took you to a wooded area and this is where i remember the bunker being. The was an obvious grassy knowll with a steel shuttered door at one end that clearly hadn't been opened in quite some time.

Now that i have access to this forum i wondered if any of you good folk from Cumbernauld remembered this hidden bunker or indeed knew what purpose it served/serves? Is it even still there? Oh man... what a den that would have made.

cheers

Stan
fullfatmilk
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects