Ginger

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Robertsons of Springwell

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:22 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:and on a Saturday the Cream Boy (usually a sweating adolescent) came round with his two buckets of cream, one single one double. Can you imagine that now?
[/url]

Funny you saying that, I was asking my 90 year old dad about that type of thing not long ago! He lived in Inglefield Street in Govanhill (the end nearer to the railway line which is now landscaped) and anyone who knows that area will know a cafe on Butterbiggins Rd near to Cathcart Rd that does hot rolls and styro's of tea.

Well back then in the mid 1920's that cafe was a dairy but there was no bottled milk then. The shop knew all their customers' regular orders and the wee boys were sent out with big churns of milk to fill the jugs left on the doorsteps. The boys had to physically lug the churns scraping along the pavements - no barrows for them! The milk was generally unpastuerized. You could ask for pastuerized but it cost more - the equivalent of today's organic labels?

The first boy at the dairy before it opened got the best run. The best run was to nearby Inglefield House which sat in the woods on the site now occupied by the Larkfield bus garage. Not only did they have a big order meaning less to drag around but the woman tipped the boys well. My dad says the only downside to getting Inglefield House was having to go down the lane into the dark woods on a winter morning.

Anyway, sorry back to ginger!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Ginger

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:08 pm

AG Barr did a lot more for the city than any other, they had a great range of tasty flavours as far back as i can remember, when they started using artificial flavoring in place of sugar the taste obviously changed and the weegies noticed it right away, i can remember my dad talking about it in the shop to the customers and how the sales had droped cause of the loss of taste during the 70s, , they also used to do a range of fruit flavoured wines with selafine wraped and wooden corks that were best sellers at xmas and new year.

Other ranges of Ginger from Barrs. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gallowgategal » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:22 pm

engineer wrote:i remember alpine ginger well, and bon accord too. the bon accord was delivered by a squad of neds riding round on a flat bed truck. they would bound off the truck (before it had stopped, naturally), hammer your door and say 'GINGER?' when your maw answered it.
i remember going out to teh lochgilphead area and you couldn't get barrs juice there, only garvies

best thing with soda stream was to use far more than the prescribed 3 skooshes of syrup. still pretty shite though

A red van comes round my way every week delivering ginger, I think it is Alpine :D

Went right off their ginger beer as one time (about 20 years ago :oops: ) my mum bought some and it tasted like fag ash :?
have I missed anything ???
gallowgategal
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 pm

^ Schweppes Ginger Beer is OK and Fentiman's, if you can stomach the price, is ace.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:02 pm

onyirtodd wrote:and Fentiman's, if you can stomach the price, is ace.
Indeed. This is better still but £1.49 for 330mls in Peckhams 8O

(a wee newsagent in Finnieston used to do it for 79p but it got spa-rified, and all the product lines vent vanilla...)

While I'm here does anybody know of any manufacturer still in existence making Red Cola/Kola without the addition of artificial sweetners. The Barr's stuff is an abomination these days...
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:05 am

There seems to have been no mention so far of "Merrymate".
Marketed (I think) by one Doctor Okhai (pronounced Och Aye!) from a place out near Mount Florida, (he also wholesaled stationary products & office furniture) this ginger enjoyed the tragi-comic gimmick of being packaged in a plastic bag surrounded by a cardboard tube...the theory being the whole could be secreted in an inside blazer pocket. I think the telly ad featured Jimmy Cranky in full pedo bating gear.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:58 am

I can still remember the taste of Alpine limeade, it was pretty unique in both colour (comic book nuclear goo green) and flavour. Its ingredients are probably banned now under the Geneva Convention.

On another, when did Barrs Strike Cola just become Barrs Cola?
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:03 pm

JayKay wrote:I can still remember the taste of Alpine limeade, it was pretty unique in both colour (comic book nuclear goo green) and flavour. Its ingredients are probably banned now under the Geneva Convention.

On another, when did Barrs Strike Cola just become Barrs Cola?

During an industrial dispute?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:09 pm

remember barrs wild cola?
the can had a brick wall logo, with a gorillas arm breaking through it. i think
you could win a trip to an american water park
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:27 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:......... I think the telly ad featured Jimmy Cranky in full pedo bating gear.

Quote of the month ::):
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby invy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:There seems to have been no mention so far of "Merrymate". ...this ginger enjoyed the tragi-comic gimmick of being packaged in a plastic bag surrounded by a cardboard tube...

I remember that - it didn't have a lid either did it? It had a few holes at the top of the tube with a little sticky plastic flap to seal it back up again? My pals mum used to buy it from the freezer shop on Maukinfauld Rd (Multifreeze?)

-Jim :)
That'll be Fife I can see from the window :)
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:12 pm

Still in existence by a Dundee company but not in the tube format said above, my cousin had a franchise for it during the 80s and was spelt Meri-Mate

Meri-Mate is the UK's favourite 330ml drink for children. Available in Cola, Orangeade, Lemonade, Cherryade, Iron Brew, Dandelion & Burdock, American Cream Soda and Bubblegum it's a great tasting drink available in all the best flavours.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:36 pm

There used to be the big Coke/Schweppes(?) factory in Carnwadric. You could jump over the back fence from the bomb shelters and indulge in some low-level pilfering. Mostly with the aim of trying to get steamin' off copious amounts of Shandy Bass. It hurts my teeth to just think about it today!

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:14 pm

My local Chippy sells Curries Ginger. Does anyone know where it is made.

Peekay

One of my old neighbours was the Security Guard at the Schweppes factory in Carnwadric.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Merlot » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Mori wrote:And when was the last time you got a group of wee guys up at your door saying "Ye goat Any Gingies ye don't want"

The Gless Check Appreciation Society ::):

We called a wee guy who lived round our way BBC
British Bottle Collector.
:D
Merlot
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects