Pollok Park site for "Go Ape" centre.... just say NO!!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Pollok Park site for "Go Ape" centre.... just say NO!!

Postby Fossil » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:30 am

Bob loves animals! Here he is on the set of Dactari

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby jim » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:05 pm

Great meeting! The city councillors showed themselves for what they are. Shifty, double-talking, bullshitting idiots. Great stuff from Save Pollok Park and from the floor. So many good moments, but the bit when Go Ape and their pet PR drone were fingered as dodgy bastards was great. Or the complete lack of sense from the so-called environmentalist! Booth and Curran and the other one were truly disgusting. They're performance will not be forgotten.
The problem is, they are determined to continue with 'business as usual'. We cannot let this happen.
a pair of stout boots, a stick, and away...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:15 pm

Something else that really bothered me was the banding about of arbitrary figures - we kept being told how many acres Pollok Park consists of and that there are 100,000 trees there, but the point is that the North Wood is tiny in comparison to the overall size of the park and the 100,000 trees range from being twigs on a sick to a centuries old Beech! Then Bob and his budget, bragging about the £280 odd million he is in charge of as though that simple fact gave him cart-blanche to do what he wants in spite of the groundswell of opposition!

These playpark things look fantastic (I want a shot) and are perfect for rural estates where there is only sporadic or periodic footfall and there are large amounts of land and woodland involved, which simply isn't the case in Pollok Park! As for the trying to engage with teenagers and the local youth, thats absolute bullshit! How many families in Pollok or Pollokshaws are going t be able to afford a day out at Go Ape's prices? This will not engage those who need it most, the kids on the streets drinking are not going to have a u-turn and spend their money on a tree-top climbing frame. :roll:

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in Chambers and Land Services today! ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:48 pm

From today's Herald :

"The meeting concluded with a show of hands, where only seven of the 550 people in the room were in favour of Go Ape's proposal.

But even after the vote, Mr Booth said he remained confident that the course would be proven to be popular.

"We have seen opposition to many developments in the park, such as the mountain bike track, the play area and the Burrell Collection. But in the cold light of day, people will see that this proposal, if passed by the planning committee, will enhance Pollok Park."

Incredible. The majority say a firm no and Mr Booth decides stuff you all we are doing it anyway!
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:20 pm

crusty_bint wrote:
Peekay wrote:^ That is fucking bollocks!(not you AD, the quote) If I vote/put my wee tick in a box for someone then it's my right to know what, and who, that wee tick gets me!

Anyway, the cooncil has a short memory what happened last time they tried to tinker with Pollok park(M77). I will personally make the whole thing 'financially unviable'

I think its more important that any councillor represents their community before they go pandering to some ranter on an internet forum. I'm sure you will agree Peekay? Also, I don't think there'll be any need for any vigilantism... you planning on stealing the petty cash tin or something?

First off I couldn't make it last night, but I've read enough in the rags today to get an idea of what happened:

What community was GCC and it's assorted people representing last night or indeed at any point in this process? Not my community anyway and I live within a mile of Pollok Park! The business community perhaps!

And it's quite simple to make the whole venture financially untenable. It starts with active protesting at the proposed site (delays works) then, when that eventually fails as it did with the M77, the front gates of Go Ape get protested. Mummy and Daddy from Fenwick ain't going to take their little cherubs past the big scary people.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:37 pm

If it goes ahead we could always chip in and buy the Pollok Young Team a chain-saw.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:45 pm

onyirtodd wrote:If it goes ahead we could always chip in and buy the Pollok Young Team a chain-saw.

::):
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:52 pm

Peekay, stop rambling and making ill-informed statements and demands and no-one will pull you up for it.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby OLDFART » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:38 am

i really wish they would just leave Pollok park alone over the years they have cut a bit here & there. Before the Burrell collection was put there it really was a great park. By the time they slice & dice a bit more off the bits that are left you could walk in 5 mins. I'm not a big fan of where they situated the Burrell collection as impressive as it is. If you dont remember it before it was built you really missed something. It could easily have been put somewhere else, not as if Glasgow is short of areas to redevelop :mrgreen:

The play area is right on the edge of the Burrell car park and so can hardly be considered an intrusion.

there was a play area & for years but GDC let it fall into disrepair it was at top of hill from Burrell Collection.
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jim » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:18 am

I agree. The Burrell should have been sited elsewhere and goes against the spirit of the lease. I was really pissed off at the time! So historically, this is just GCC riding roughshod over everyone yet again. Which tells us one thing – in 5, 10, 20 years time there will be another proposal for something else, another facility to 'enhance' the park.
Oh and by the way, the last time there was that much excitement and debate in the Pollokshaws Burgh Hall was in 1912, when Burgh status was being summarily removed (check out the 'Pollokshaws News' at the Mitchell for more). So there is a long history of dubious council tactics here...
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jim » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:22 am

One more thought. If the attacks on the Henry Moore's placed adjacent to the Burrell a few years ago are anything to go by Go Ape won't stand a chance! They had to install 24 hour security then too. But it should not be allowed to get to that point.
jim
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:14 am

I'm not sure how I would have felt about the Burrell at the time, but I have no problem with it now. It is a prize asset and can't be compared with this Go Ape proposal.

Anywho... Go Ape Stand Firm
The founder of a company behind controversial plans to create a treetop assault course at a historic country park was standing firm yesterday in the face of strong opposition.

Despite witnessing protests of 500 residents at a public meeting on Tuesday, Go Ape chief executive Tristram Mayhew indicated that he will neither delay nor withdraw his application to create a treetop assault course in Glasgow's Pollok Park.
Continued...
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:27 am

Why doesn't the Chief Gorilla just bypass the planning system, invite Alex Salmond through for a 'chat' and fuck Wee Eck up the arse?

It worked for Trump :wink:
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 am

tehehehe
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:34 am

Alex Salmond and Donald Trump in happier times.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development