Fairfield Farmhouse

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Fairfield Farmhouse

Postby motman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:25 pm

Dugald wrote:... (and we all know the Linthoose folk always were a bit snobbish!).

Watch it Jimmy - Ah came from Linthoose ::):
But I just wonder how much all of this is going to cost - I see that they have engaged a market research company as well. And the artists impression :roll: But the cooncil have shed loads of money for this sort of thing.
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re:

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:27 pm

crusty_bint wrote:There's at least two on the south side, one on Shawmoss Rd and the other on Barrhead Rd :)

There's one in the middle of Kings Park at the wee mini roundabout where Kilmorie Drive meets Bankhead Road. I can mind when it was a dairy when I was but a hairy-arsed youth in Toryglen.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Sharon wrote:I like farmhouses (a touch of home for me!)...

... are there many more still standing in Glasgow???

There's one on Queen Elizabeth Ave in Hillington Industrial Estate. I understand it was the farmhouse in the days when HIE was still a farm (before Rolls Royce arrived).
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:57 pm

Ideas are wanted for 300-year-old farm

Ingrid Campbell at the 300-year-old farmhouse

A GLASGOW community is being asked to help transform one of the oldest buildings in the area.
Plans are being developed to restore the dilapidated former Fairfield Farmhouse and yard in Elder Park, Govan, into a facility which can be used by residents.Ideas to revive the 300-year old, B-listed building include a nursery, a healthy eating cafe, meeting space and a business unit.
But Linthouse Urban Village Project, part of Linthouse Housing Association, which is working on the project with Glasgow City Council, needs local people to tell them what they want.
Project co-ordinator Ingrid Campbell said: "The first stage of the project is to do a community consultation about what the hopes, ambitions and ideas are for the historic former farmhouse and yard. At present it's a waste of a community asset."
They want as many people as possible to attend public meetings on Wednesday - 3.30pm till 4.15pm, or 6.30pm to 7.15pm, both at Elder Park Library in Govan.
The park, including the farmhouse, was gifted to the people of Govan by Lady Elder whose husband ran the shipyards.
The project, which will also canvas for ideas door-to-door, was given almost £200,000 by the Big Lottery Fund to get started but will need another £4million to £5m to complete.

Publication date 14/01/08
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:40 pm

It seems a "healthy eating cafe" is included among the plans for the improvement of the Elder Park farm house . I wonder if these Linthouse folks will have enough sway in order to keep this "healthy eating cafe" dry... like the rest of their corner of Govan? ( Linthouse is a part of Govan... eh, isn't it?)
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:02 pm

Dugald wrote:It seems a "healthy eating cafe" is included among the plans for the improvement of the Elder Park farm house . I wonder if these Linthouse folks will have enough sway in order to keep this "healthy eating cafe" dry... like the rest of their corner of Govan? ( Linthouse is a part of Govan... eh, isn't it?)

The Gazelle, The Reform Club and The Fairfield Bar only selling Kalliber?

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:25 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Dugald wrote:It seems a "healthy eating cafe" is included among the plans for the improvement of the Elder Park farm house . I wonder if these Linthouse folks will have enough sway in order to keep this "healthy eating cafe" dry... like the rest of their corner of Govan? ( Linthouse is a part of Govan... eh, isn't it?)

The Gazelle, The Reform Club and The Fairfield Bar only selling Kalliber?

I guess this means Linthouse is still dry. Googling "Kalibar beer" as shown in the picture, yields Kalliber(yuk) any more around among others; this does give a strong negative impression. Don't know any of the pub names mentioned... I do know the "Fairfield Club" on Uist St., but I gather this is not what is meant by the "Fairfield Bar".
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:53 am

It's Buckler beer in The Bush photo and as we all know Dubbya gave up alcohol some time ago it's non alcoholic. All three licensed establishments are in Linthouse. I doubt very much that anyone would wish to open a bar in Elder Park but it would be a sign of improvement if a licensed cafe did open.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:41 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:It's Buckler beer in The Bush photo and as we all know Dubbya gave up alcohol some time ago it's non alcoholic. All three licensed establishments are in Linthouse. I doubt very much that anyone would wish to open a bar in Elder Park but it would be a sign of improvement if a licensed cafe did open.

I hadn't recognized Bush in the picture! I'd thought it was an ad for non-alcoholic beer. I too, doubt very much anyone would wish to open a bar in Elder Park , but I also doubted very much that anyone would want to open cafe there... and I wouldn't want to open a pub in Linthouse either.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:14 pm

The Urban Village lot already have a caff at the corner of Drive Road and Govan Road, where you can sit ootside at wee tables (weather permitting) and watch life go by (as it does in Linthoose). A Caff in the Park - now there's a thought. Mind you we once had ice cream vans in the Park in days gone by :cry:
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:00 pm

And very pleasant it is too, although they do have a habit of shutting just as I arrive. I have so far managed to resist taking it personally.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:38 pm

The last time I visited the Fairfield Farmhouse was inthe early 1990's. My wife and I were spending a week's holiday in Largs, and decided to ride our bicycles (we were actually on a cycling holiday, touring Scotland) to visit some friends in Glasgow. In order to cut the mileage down by a wee bit, we climbed over the Loch Thom road into Greenock then followed the Port Glasgow/Renfrew road into Govan. The hilly part of this route is shorter, but somewhat more demanding of one's physical resources, and by the time we reached Renfrew we were wishing we had taken the train. It had started to rain and the wind, was a definite againsterly"!

From Renfrew we followed the old blue-tramcar route into Govan. This took us road around the Shieldhall Dock, past the remnants of the old SCWS factory complex, past the new sewage-treatment plant, the Southern General hospital, and into Linthouse where, I had assured my wife, we'd find a nice cafe or tearoom to warm us up and repair the physical damage we were suffering from the long ride. Alas, there was neither a cafe nor a tearoom to be found in Linthouse. We lacked the energy to press on further into the city. On making enquiries from a passing pedestrian we learned that there was a Chinese "Take-out" place nearby.

It was raining quite heavily by the time we got to the "Take-out", and in the meantime, we had picked up a flat tyre. Not to worry though, we arrived at the "Take-out" and I dashed in with the confident intention of making full use of my Govan accent in order to talk the girl into making a pot of tea and allowing us to stand inside the shop while eating. Hmmmm, what a disappointment that turned out to be!

First of all, when I spoke to the Chinese girl behind the counter, I had expected to hear her answer in clear English with a bit of a Chinese accent thrown in. I was totally unprepared for this Chinese girl speaking English with an accent more Govanish than mine! Indeed, I was so taken aback that I had no idea what she said. When we got the language problem sorted out, much to our regret this girl turned out to be not at all accommodating. No tea, and no standing in there to eat!

Under more favourable conditions we'd have followed a Plan 'B', but we were soaked and needed sustenance in a bad way, so we had to settle for two chop-suey meals eaten outside in the rain. We stood in a shop-doorway at the corner of Drive Road and Govan Road and ate our Chinese food with plastic cutlery. The meal, lousy and all as it was, helped considerably.

We noticed there was a bicycle shop across the road near Cressy (?) Street, and I was able to get a new inside tube and four new tyres. Doing this little bit of work changing tyres and what have you, left us with grease all over our hands. But again, not to worry, there was the Elder Park just across the road and there would be a washroom there in which we can tidy up.

We were at the northwest corner of the park, so we tooted around the old Fairfield farmhouse, or what was left of it, with the hope of finding a place to clean ourselves up; alas, without any joy at all! I asked a lady walking through the park the way to the nearest washroom, and I'm sure she thought I was some kind of a nut. With her help we did eventually find the toilets but they were in a deplorable state. (Little did I know at this time, that a short distance west on the Govan Rd. we could have used one of the cleanest and most modern public washrooms in Britain!). We arrived at the house of our friends in Corkerhill like a couple of dirty soaked tramps!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:40 pm

Thanks for the story of your visit to Linthouse and Govan dugald, sorry it was a bad day for you and the people of Govan not accomodating you in your hour of need, i'm sure that you know what the real freindly people of Glasgow and for that of Govan are really like and would have helped you out in a flash ... i mean the genuine and many good folks like your freinds from cokerhill.

I was @ the meeting @ Elderpark Library on wednesday last... and you know what!the people that were most deconstructive were the ones that were not from the area were the ones that were disrupting the discussions every five minutes with issues that had nothing whatsover to do with Govan and the Fairfield Farmhouse.

Linhouse Urban Village are trying to bring a much needed Project to this part of Govan which would not only regenerate the farmhouse but would start a further Enhancement and regeneration for the whole of Elderpark in years to come and here was people who did not even live there disrupting the meeting with their own agendas... it was so anoying.

I for one are hoping to go in on the project as a Volunteer to enhance this project and bring it tothe forefront and make it reality for the good of Govan and Glasgow.

The project is welcoming ideas for what would the people like to happen here @ Fairfield Farmhouse.
there will soon be a consultation document be drawn up in conjuction with GCC and LUV on an area wide survey for this purpose,i will post links for this in time to come in the next few weeks.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Yes, Mori I know that, "...the real friendly people of Glasgow and for that of Govan are really like and would have helped you out in a flash", and I've known it for a long time... we might have been tossed out of the Chinese take-away, but we were able to buy four new skinny bicycle tyres at a bargain price!

Thanks for the information about the meeting at the Elderpark Library last Wednesday. It's people like you who will keep the pressure on the powers-that-be to go beyond the fancy drawings and plans. Yes, and it's too bad about the people who don't live in the area disrupting the meeting; they show up in every crowd, don't they.

I like the wording of "Linthouse Urban Village", it has a good ring to it, and I'm sure a suitable restoration of the Fairfield Farm would be a well-used facility ...and before you know it the auld sailors will be back sailing their yachts in the pond! You know, in my day, that west side of the park gave a real touch of elegance to Drive Rd.; indeed, not only Drive Rd., but to Linthouse itself. The only part of Linthouse that I recall having a bit of the slum appearance was the street known as "Linthouse Building" beside Stephens' Yard on the north side of Govan Rd., all the rest was a wee cut above Govan.

Good luck with your intention to help the project as a volunteer, I'm sure they'll come up with something worthwhile for the people who are serious about bringing the Elder Park back to ist former self.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:40 am

[quote="Mori"]Linhouse Urban Village are trying to bring a much needed Project to this part of Govan which would not only regenerate the farmhouse but would start a further Enhancement and regeneration for the whole of Elderpark in years to come and here was people who did not even live there disrupting the meeting with their own agendas... it was so anoying.[quote]
It's always the same with regeneration projects Mori, especially in areas that have seen better days. It's too easy for outsiders - usually people with a hidden agenda who like the sound of their own voices to take over at the expense of locals who usually are not used to the politics of these meetings, resulting in those with most to offer being pushed to the side. It takes a skilled chairman to manage these buggers without the meeting descending into a farce.
Going back to the history of the LUV, when I first heard about them, I was a wee bit irritated about their agenda, based on social deprevation work studies carried out in other parts of the world - I recall Seattle - and now deciding to descend on Linthouse as the next great experiment. But from what I hear from my family still living there, they are being accepted as being for the good of the community. Time will tell.
But a plague on artist's impressions (a personal rant).
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects