Victorian era industrial buildings still standing

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Victorian era industrial buildings still standing

Postby Fossil » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:44 am

GK can you do your homework and get some pictures to kick this thread off 8)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:01 pm

Industry is not really my field :|

Och leave it to die, the thread will soon drop off the front page like a frost bitten big toe.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:05 pm

Well, you could start with a copy of The Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow by John Hume and work your way through the buildings in the boook, and see which ones are still standing.
dazza
-
-

Postby gap74 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:22 pm

There are loads, especially around the east end, it's just a case of getting time to root around and get pics. As long as folk don't mind a wee blur between industrial and commercial (I'm never sure which category a warehouse falls into, for example), or the expanding of the period perhaps up until the 30s (after which factories became kinda samey and bland), then I've certainly got a few I can post now, although they've all been posted before mostly in various threads.

I like the idea of grouping by building type rather than area, though, I was minded to suggest we do likewise for religious buildings, educational buildings, domestic architecture, etc.

Anyways, my turn this weekend for a long weekend off, and I have a mate who wants to test her new camera, so I'll see if I can get a few new images for this thread then.

Yes, the bingo hall in Dumbarton Rd was some sort of factory, not sure what, but it's roots were very evident when the auditorium block was exposed before the flats went up around it.

It wasn't the only cinema formed from a factory - this one in the east end still survives too, I think:

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasgow/londonrd.html

Off the top of my head, one of my favourite industrial buildings in Glasgow is the B-listed former Clay Pipe factory at the Barras, which dates from about the 1870s, and is now flats. I'll try to get a pic of that this weekend.

http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=33813
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:55 pm

What was this building, directly behind the Pipe Factory:

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:57 pm

From the listing description, I'm guessing it's this:

Similarly detailed tall block at corner Gibson Street/Moncur Street also connected by lower link; to Gibson Street, a block of different date - though still polychrome brick, and of similar height - which has arched single windows above ground floor recessed between giant pilaster strips, series of regular bays; also lower range in areas to rear, part rubble-built, the latter presumably an earlier survivor.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:05 pm

gap74 wrote:Yes, the bingo hall in Dumbarton Rd was some sort of factory, not sure what, but it's roots were very evident when the auditorium block was exposed before the flats went up around it.

This is the building in question - picture originally posted by Hollowhorn a couple of years ago on the When It's Gone It's Gone thread

I responded at the time with some information which I had gleaned from my copy of John R. Hume's Industrial Archaeology of Glasgow - it was built in 1880-81 as the Partick Engine Works for William Smith & Sons who were engineers, boilermakers, sugar mill manufacturers and weighing machine makers.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:51 pm

So it's been a factory, a skating rink, a cinema, a ballroom and a bingo hall - not bad in terms of adaptability!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:00 pm

gap74 wrote:So it's been a factory, a skating rink, a cinema, a ballroom and a bingo hall - not bad in terms of adaptability!

I know a man who accidentally set fire to it last year whilst the women were playing Bingo. He would have been safer in downtown Baghdad with the Stars and Stripes on his back that day after he did that.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:28 am

Socceroo wrote:
gap74 wrote:So it's been a factory, a skating rink, a cinema, a ballroom and a bingo hall - not bad in terms of adaptability!

I know a man who accidentally set fire to it last year whilst the women were playing Bingo. He would have been safer in downtown Baghdad with the Stars and Stripes on his back that day after he did that.

Aye....you wouldn't want to get between a Partick wifie and her bingo ::):
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:02 am

Ken I don't know how old these ones are but they are from the East End.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:22 pm

A few examples from the Ibrox area

Copland Road, beside Ibrox Subway StationImage

Built in 1897 as a brush factory for William Morier, wholesale and export brushmaker. Does seem a bit grand for such a purpose but maybe Mr. Morier had money to burn and wanted to make a statement. When I began working in Ibrox about 23 years ago the building was being used by a firm of printers and stationers. Some years ago it was bought by Quality Street who converted it into appartments for letting. It is still used for that purpose although I don’t know who now owns the building.

164 Copland Road, a bit further along from the aboveImage

This nondescript building dates from 1897 and was originally known as the Glasgow Candle Works. It was built for Shearer & Harvey, candle makers. This firm still exists [now simply known as Shearer Candles] and so must be one of the oldest manufacturing companies in Glasgow. They were in business at this location until just a few years ago when they moved to much larger premises beside the Broomloan Road Subway depot near Govan Cross. The building still seems to be in use but I don’t know who W.W.T. are or what they do.

Fairley St., just round the corner from Copland RoadImage

This was a hammer shaft factory, built in 1892 [extended 1901] for Robert Burley & Sons, makers of hammer shafts and tool handles. As you can see this building is in a rather sorry state.

Corner of Fairley St. and Carmichael St.Image

This was originally an engine and boiler works, built in 1901 for James Anderson. It was converted into a bakery for Montgomerie & Co. in 1908. At present most of the building is being used as a commercial laundry.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:26 pm

Fantastic, just the kind of mix of pics and info I'd love to see on this thread!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:52 pm

Excellent Work Viceroy!
I've clocked those buildings and aways wondered

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby TommyDGNR8 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:38 am

WWT = Worldwide Tropicals - fish/pet suppliers.
TommyDGNR8
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)