Colin and Justin are so wrong ... Arden is OK!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Colin and Justin are so wrong ... Arden is OK!

Postby e2wufos1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:03 pm

By Russell Leadbetter DESIGN experts Colin McAllister and Justin Ryan are making Arden famous with their latest TV series - but many local people are far from happy.

They allege that the duo have made the estate look worse than it is in their Channel Five makeover show.

Residents were angered by shots in the series' opening night showing a bleak corner of Arden, with rubbish strewn outside run-down flats.

The Kilmuir Crescent flats, residents say, were being emptied prior to demolition, which is why they were so covered in litter.

continued...In one sequence, in the flat designated for a makeover, Colin kicked a hole in the plasterboard walls in frustration at the conditions.

Full Story can be found at
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/display.var.1139869.0.0.php
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Colin and Justin are so wrong ... Arden is OK!

Postby Timchilli » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:05 pm

e2wufos1 wrote:...In one sequence, in the flat designated for a makeover, Colin kicked a hole in the plasterboard walls in frustration at the conditions.

High heels can cause quite a lot of damage.

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:40 pm

What was it that man said??
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:55 pm

Timchilli wrote:
e2wufos1 wrote:...In one sequence, in the flat designated for a makeover, Colin kicked a hole in the plasterboard walls in frustration at the conditions.

High heels can cause quite a lot of damage.

Tim

Boasting or complaining ??
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 pm

Plea for cash to finish off Arden estate

THE bosses of a Glasgow housing scheme transformed by TV design duo Colin and Justin are appealing for more money to finish off the job.

Arden became the focus of a huge regeneration project earlier this year when the celebrity designers spent more than 10 months on the estate trying to improve people's dilapidated homes.

A TV series, Colin and Justin on the Estate, was filmed by Channel Five and proved a huge ratings winner when it was screened in January.

Working with the Glen Oaks Housing Association and residents, the duo revamped 10 closes using bright colours.

Colin and Justin kicked off the scheme's makeover
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:39 pm

Mori wrote:Plea for cash to finish off Arden estate

THE bosses of a Glasgow housing scheme transformed by TV design duo Colin and Justin are appealing for more money to finish off the job.

Would a wee drop high explosive no' be quicker?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:17 am

e2wufos1 what I could never understand about this programme was why did the director of the Glen Oaks Housing Association ever agree to his Association's participation in this programme in the first place? It simply helped reinforce with a UK tv audience, the overall, and misleading, image of Glasgow as a grimy, slum ridden scene.

Several months beforehand I got a call from an ex-colleague seeking a second opinion on a similar proposal. His housing project in a major English city had been approached by a TV production team to make such a programme. The only difference was that the intention then was to concentrate on a single street. What I heard was enough to warn me that this was typical of the current so-called 'reality' shows on TV that are made so that the 'better off' people can be entertained by the poverty and problems, and 'shortcomings', of 'poorer' peoples' lives. Fortunately, my ex colleague took my definite advice not to touch it with a barge pole.

From another angle, how could the association justify the diversion of resources, time etc. into helping with the making of this programme, when the housing association would have us believe it was already in a straightened financial situation? To say that such as programme is good 'because it showed the need for investment in the area',seems to show that the housing association seems unable to make it's case in the normal way that other associations do - showing how awful you can make a neighbourhood appear for tv entertainment doesn't seem a right and proper way to alloocate public funding.

Some local lads were so pissed off by the programme that with the assistance of admirable Steg from Sunny Govan Radio they have produced a short rap tape based in a close in Arden - now that ensemble is 'reality' and it is authentic and shows people doing and producing something themsleves! I don't think Justin and Colin would last 5 minutes in that close with those guys.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:25 am

escotregen wrote:e2wufos1 what I could never understand about this programme was why did the director of the Glen Oaks Housing Association ever agree to his Association's participation in this programme in the first place? It simply helped reinforce with a UK tv audience, the overall, and misleading, image of Glasgow as a grimy, slum ridden scene.

Several months beforehand I got a call from an ex-colleague seeking a second opinion on a similar proposal. His housing project in a major English city had been approached by a TV production team to make such a programme. The only difference was that the intention then was to concentrate on a single street. What I heard was enough to warn me that this was typical of the current so-called 'reality' shows on TV that are made so that the 'better off' people can be entertained by the poverty and problems, and 'shortcomings', of 'poorer' peoples' lives. Fortunately, my ex colleague took my definite advice not to touch it with a barge pole.

From another angle, how could the association justify the diversion of resources, time etc. into helping with the making of this programme, when the housing association would have us believe it was already in a straightened financial situation? To say that such as programme is good 'because it showed the need for investment in the area',seems to show that the housing association seems unable to make it's case in the normal way that other associations do - showing how awful you can make a neighbourhood appear for tv entertainment doesn't seem a right and proper way to alloocate public funding.

Some local lads were so pissed off by the programme that with the assistance of admirable Steg from Sunny Govan Radio they have produced a short rap tape based in a close in Arden - now that ensemble is 'reality' and it is authentic and shows people doing and producing something themsleves! I don't think Justin and Colin would last 5 minutes in that close with those guys.

Isn't suggesting that Colin and Justin wouldn't last 5 minutes in that close with those guys simply helping reinforce with a UK tv audience, the overall, and misleading, image of Glasgow as a grimy, [i]violent[/i], slum ridden scene.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:05 pm

There was an excellent article in the "New Statesman" by Peter Wilby, "The Property Ladder of Life" 1Nov 07 which gives the best description of why our housing schemes/estates reach their current state/condition. There is no control on the type of people that are let into these housing schemes. On reflection even in our old tenement stock there was exceptionally tight control on who was allowed to let ....by the Factors. In our P.C world are we still allowed some measure of say in who is allowed to let?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mark N » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:35 pm

Targer wrote:"The Property Ladder of Life" 1Nov 07 which gives the best description of why our housing schemes/estates reach their current state/condition. There is no control on the type of people that are let into these housing schemes.

If such controls were put into place, what would happen to the 'type of people' NOT deemed worthy of a place in a scheme ? They would have to be housed somewhere. Presumably they would all be lumped together with other similar 'scheme-rejects' leading to an area as bad if not worse than the places currently being bemoaned.

Surely the real reason schemes are in their current condition is the continuing existence of serious social problems in our society generally; I can't see how slamming the door on certain people is going to help. You're not solving the the underlying problems, merely moving them elsewhere.
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:23 pm

I fully agree with what you say Mark N but these people can't be allowed to spoil it for the rest/the majority. As seen in the program these people refuse to help themselves or be helped. Anything that was done for the good was destroyed. Yes, there are serious social problems but Glasgow Council (The George Square Mob) have had 4 decades to address the situation. After all this time of neglecting the issue it will be very difficult to correct. I should say I remember Arden as it wasin the 50's and this situation was not present.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:13 pm

I should say I remember Arden as it wasin the 50's and this situation was not present.

Were you in Myrside Street, Blackhill or Barrowfield or Maybe Ferguslie Park. And was this situation present? Was the IMF putting the squeeze on the Government courtesy of a Republican US government?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby udrigle » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:10 pm

In lived in the flat that was used by colin and justin, from 1969 -79. My father was a painter and decorator and believe me that flat was immacculate. Arden in those days was an ordinary working class estate, yes there were a few bad closes, but the majority of people were decent and the estate was well looked after. From about the mid 70's on, investment was cut, houses were not maintained and a policy of putting Bad tenants in good closes was adopted, the idea being that this would raise the standards of the bad tenants!! It didn't work. At the same time the SSHA decided to remove all the garden space and concrete them over to provide parking. In Kilmuir crescent, which is where the series was filmed, there were 3 car owners. Many of the estates that currently surround glasgow were subject to the same disasterous experiments by councils, social workers and politicians, eager to try out their ideas but unwilling to live among the results. My family, like many others stayed for a while, tried to make a difference, but eventually we gave up and moved away. There are still many decent people living in Arden, i wish them well.
udrigle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:37 pm

Targer wrote:I fully agree with what you say Mark N but these people can't be allowed to spoil it for the rest/the majority. As seen in the program these people refuse to help themselves or be helped. Anything that was done for the good was destroyed. Yes, there are serious social problems but Glasgow Council (The George Square Mob) have had 4 decades to address the situation. After all this time of neglecting the issue it will be very difficult to correct. I should say I remember Arden as it wasin the 50's and this situation was not present.

I would never claim to have all the answers Targer but as one of "The George Square Mod" I would firstly point out that Arden was not managed by Glasgow City Council Housing Department. Scottish Special Housing Association were responsible and this became Scottish Homes. Prior to Scottish Homes becoming Communities Scotland they transferred all their homes to Housing Associations. Arden was transferred to Glen Oaks Housing Association in 1999. Unfortunately Glen Oaks did not have access to the money required to carry out a complete refurbishment of the estate they took over. Since 1999 they have put forward the case for the necessary funding and have had limited success. Some demolition has taken place and some new build has replaces some of the houses taken away. On this occasion it is unfair to blame Glasgow City Council.

There is no doubt that Glen Oaks need additional financial support in order to make the changes necessary to improve housing conditions within Arden. Most residents in Arden are decent people who deserve better and hopefully by drawing attention to the problem additional money will be made available by the Scottish Government.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:58 pm

^ can we stop pandering into the parish council's sense of self-importance? It isn't the Scottish Government no matter what they might choose to call themselves.

Any notion that the SNP might be in the least interested in the plight of the people of Arden vanished up Nicola Sturgeon's arse when she chose to abolish Communities Scotland.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)