Drumchapel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Drumchapel

Postby hazy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Howdy stranger :wink: I think it's a hand coloured photo rather than a painting, no?

You should know you drew the originals. :D
Have they started ripping down Hecla SQ yet
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:22 am

pamd wrote:Alright mate? I do lurk y'know ;)

Is it a hand coloured job? S'cuse my ignorance, was just tickled to see it. Sent it to my mum and she wanted to know if she could get a copy to give to my gran. Wonder where it exists in the real world?

Will be watching!

It's part of the Mitchell library collection :)

hazy wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:Howdy stranger :wink: I think it's a hand coloured photo rather than a painting, no?

You should know you drew the originals. :D
Have they started ripping down Hecla SQ yet

The neds started 30 years ago ::): Not yet, but there's so little of it left it shouldn't take long.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby glasgowken » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:24 am

Mori wrote:£200m new dawn for Drumchapel begins

ONE of Glasgow's most ambitious house building projects - a £200million scheme to transform Drumchapel - is under way.

A total of 1250 family homes will be built over the next five years in the largest project of its kind in Scotland.

Developers New City Vision will build on 124 acres across eight brownfield sites with the aim of rejuvenating a historically rundown area of the city.

The Drumchapel New Neighbourhood Initiative, revealed by the Evening Times in April, will represent a significant milestone in the regeneration of the area.

I've noticed a fair bit of activity over the past week. One site had a derrick thing set up. Testing the ground conditions I suppose.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:56 pm

Two years after I took the photos in the first post of this thread, I went back to have another look "up the hill".

This shows the area covered by the 1950's tenements in the first post. They've all gone, and the block of flats. No doubt this will soon be covered with some of the planned housing. New housing has already sprung up on the site being cleared in 2005. The wee church is also still there.

The rest of the area has very nice neat houses, immaculate lawns, but look closer and it's not as rosey with all of the lamposts, phone boxes, & junction boxes, covered in graffiti, and damage, far more than you would expect from looking at the houses. As we know, new houses do not always make good neighbours.

But the worst thing was the local corner shop. Outside it's a neat fairly new building, but inside, everything is behind a graffti scrawled high counter. If you want a tin of beans, loaf of bread, whatever, the shopkeeper gets it for you. Honestly the first time i've seen anything like that in Glasgow, more like the sort of thing I would have expected to see in the Bronx. I can only assume the shotlifting threat is very high.

It's difficult to know what to make of the new Drum. Will the cycle begin again, the decent people get fed up, and move out, or will the little fannies finally stop trying to destroy their neighbourhood. Time will tell.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:08 pm

some photos of the 'Drum'. click on and check them out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool/sets/72157601385166546/
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:29 pm

Great pics robert...impressive :)
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:06 am

Great photos :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:35 am

On the subject of photos of the Drum, l hope you all liked :D the ones on my flickr account (see link just up from this comment). The thing is, does anyone have any photos that were taken in front of or inside the Hills Hotel, Rigg / Precinct Bar, Butty / Hecla Arms, The Peel, The Linkwood Bar or the Girning Gates :roll: . Ask yir maw :twisted: , da :evil: , brothers and sister, aunts and uncles for any old photos thay may have taken at a night oot at any of the above pubs :? . With modern computer software most of the old photos can be scanned and 'cleaned up'. Take any photo down to Alan Rattery at Drum Ops and i'm sure they will let you use their scanner for free,if they can't do it l promise l will. I think if we got enough photos of the Drum together then we could produce a difinitive guide to the Drum over the last 50 years. I would be happy 8) to go back and re-photo the places in the old photos, showing the changes over the years. Anyone up for it? :P

Don't forget to name the street or location (Pub) the photo was taken and the names of anyone you know to be in it. Also who should be credited with it (the person that took the photo or the person that owns the photo).

:idea: ******Even if you upoaded photos to this forum please send them again to my email address****** :idea:

send any info or photos to me at [email protected].

cheeeeeeers :)

Bobby Pool
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:00 pm

Where were all those pubs in Drumchapel ? I only know 4 - the Butty at Hecla, Hillview .... at Lochgoin and Olivers at Garscadden Road and the Peel also in G Road.
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:49 pm

Where were all those pubs in Drumchapel ? I only know 4 - the Butty at Hecla, Hillview .... at Lochgoin and Olivers at Garscadden Road and the Peel also in G Road

The Hills Hotel and Rigg Public Bar is now the Social Works at the top of the shopping facing the car park. The Girnin Gates was further up in front of Drum Ops. The Linkwood Bar was just off Linkwood Drive across from Cally Ave. As you say The Peel is at Drumchapel train station, Olivers is at the shops in Garscadden Road, Hillview or The Tower as it was originaly known as is near the top of Lochgoin Ave and of course Billy Bryson's pub, The Butty at Hecla Ave facing Drumchapel Park. At least we had a wider choice of pubs to get insulted in.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:55 am

some updated shots of Drumchapel Shopping Centre being demolished..taken with my phone camera, sorry if the quality is not up to much. I will try and keep this thread up to date with new photos every now and then.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:56 am

oops, forgot to put the link to the photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... 385166546/

that's better
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby bearkit » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:22 pm

glasgowken wrote:Anybody know when that Drumchapel gas explosion was ? About 1978-9 or thereabouts ?
I'm pretty sure it happen on a Saturday morning as I was sitting on the floor watching the kids telly programmes at the time :)

That would be about the right timeframe, but i seem to remember it being early evening on a schoolnight cos myself and a mate legged it up there to see what all the fuss was about and half of the front of the tenement was missing!
bearkit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby robertpool » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:48 pm

I have just set up a photo and discussion group at flickr.com :D

after joining Flickr (it's free and it's easy, takes 2 mins) you can upload as many photos of the Drum you like ::): .
You can discuss anything about Drumchapel :roll: . All is welcome, so come on, join in :wink: .
The Fickr link is below, just click to connect.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/562170@N21/

So far i'm the only member and i'm feeling a bit lonely :cry:
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:26 pm

I have just uploaded 3 old Drumchapel photos to my flickr account in the Drumchapel set . I think you will like them! ::):

They are at the end of the set 8)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)