Springburn Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Springburn Park

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Socceroo wrote:Image

The Winter Gardens in Springburn Park today, i think these might have been posted in Past / Present previously if i recall. Such a beautiful Park with huge ponds and a rock garden.

It is a pity such magnificent structure as the Winter Gardens cannot be refurbished. Another 4 - 5 years and the structure will be rusted through to the point of collapse.

It's so sad to see this. You can really see the potential of the structure in that pic. Dismantle the glass house section and send it off for refurbishment and do away with the brick base then plop the lot on a lovely new glass base, the old crowning the new. How many millions do you think that would cost? I suppose a complete overhaul of the park would be in order too?
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Socceroo » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:27 pm

Agree absolutely Crusty, what a strange city Glasgow is.

Can you imagine such a magnificent structure being allowed to crumble in any other major city in Europe or the UK? For that matter if it were the Botanics or Queens Park i doubt it would be able to rot through either.

It is a goliath of a structure a Zeppelin hiding in clouds of trees.

It would cost about £1100 per m2 to put right.

Springburn Park is stunning. Victoriana extreme amid the high rise. If anyone on HG has not visited it i would urge them to do so. A lot of little treasures there including a Scottish Water resevoir tucked away behind fences in the centre of the park.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Spring Burn Park

F.O.S.P

Item 6

15th June 2009

SPRINGBURN PARK

Purpose of Report:
To update Committee on the progress of the options appraisal study for Springburn Park and report initial outcomes.

Recommendations:
Committee is asked to note the content of the report.

1. Introduction
1.1 Glasgow Building Preservation Trust (GBPT) was engaged in March 2008 to carry out a study
in Springburn Park to investigate the future of the Winter Gardens, Mosesfield House, and the
wider context of the entire park.
The purpose of the study was twofold; to explore the opportunities to improve and develop
Springburn Park in its entirety for the benefit of the local community, including the use of
Mosesfield House and the sports and recreational facilities, and to examine the opportunities
for the future development of the derelict Winter Gardens and Walled Garden.
In addition to this, GBPT was asked to investigate the provision of a new building within the
park which would support and encourage community recreational use, and include provision
for the bowling clubs within the park.
1.2 Along with GBPT as main consultants, the project team included:
• Ian White Associates (landscape assessment of the park)
• Page/Park Architects
• EKOS (economic analysis, business planning, key stakeholder consultation)
• Gardiner & Theobald (cost consultants)
• Jacobs Engineers (structural engineers)
It should be noted that some of the above organisations have contributed considerably more
resources to this project than were originally costed for, at no additional cost to the Council.
The original timescale for the completion of the report was autumn 2008, but the complex nature
of the report and the consultation carried out meant that the final draft was not delivered to Land and
Environmental Services until the end of March 2009. Land and Environmental Services await the final
business planning parts of the report to enable completion.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby penguinmonkey » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:42 am

Springburn Winter Gardens February 2010 taken from a precarious perch on a rusting cast iron balcony 8O

Springburn Winter Gardens by penguinmonkey82, on Flickr
It's always funny 'til someone gets hurt and then it's just hilarious
penguinmonkey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:30 pm

I can vaguely remember being in the winter gardens in Springburn Park when I was a child, it is disgraceful what has been allowed to happen to the park. There have been some improvements carried out lately, partly down to the promptings of the Friends of Springburn Park.

Their website can be found here http://www.friendsofspringburnpark.co.uk/ while the Springburn park page on the council website can be found here http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/residents/parks_outdoors/parks_gardens/springburnpark.htm
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects