Plaza Dance Hall Demolition due

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby My Kitten » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:46 pm

I'm scared of the scale of it, that bit of road seems teeeny at the best of times.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:51 am

(This probably isn't the ideal thread to post this, but I didn't want to start another one)

Ebay seller, cheryl2436 has quite a few nice Glasgow theatre programmes for sale.
Thought it may be of interest to the theatre buffs on here (those who don't check Ebay).

It occured to me the seller may be an HG'r :-)
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JimT » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:58 pm

It will be interesting how they plan to incorporate the plaza facade into the new building.(currently 3 concrete towers)
JimT
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:22 pm

JimT wrote:It will be interesting how they plan to incorporate the plaza facade into the new building.(currently 3 concrete towers)

http://www.rppweb.com/wide.asp?pi=405&ref=more

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Plaza Dance Hall Demolition due

Postby Mori » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:30 am

ET

Plaza set for new lease of life

WHEN Robbie Stevenson set out to retain a popular landmark in Glasgow, he had little idea what he was letting himself in for.

The developer decided the Plaza Ballroom was worth preserving as he turned the site near Victoria Road into dozens of flats.

Hundreds of stone blocks weighing up to half a ton had to be numbered, recorded and carefully removed by hand before being stored during construction work over the past year.

Now, with the concrete frame showing the building's final shape, the painstaking task of combining old and new is holding back completion of the site.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:02 pm

So what if the project will not be finished on-schedule.Craftsmanship takes time. Its great that the facade has been retained?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:27 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:59 am

On second thoughts, perhaps its not a good idea to retain a facade particularly if its attached to a building of such terrible architecture. It looks cheap and the materials used will not last long.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:50 pm

it just looks silly to me, one or the other cant have both,they should stick to the nature of the building and try and at least copy the style.. i think anyway

does anyone know what happened to the fountain that was on the middle of the dancefloor by any chance?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gordon » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:28 pm

That is one of the worst images ive seen in ages!

To say nothing of the architecture (which is absolutely hoorish), they could have put a bit more effort into the 'The Plaza' text above the door..i tell ya, photoshop ain't what it used to be......
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re:

Postby maccoinnich » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:42 pm

Flash_Andy wrote:The yellow looks like some sort of cladding and the top looks like cladding as well....I hate cladding :cry:

Sorry to be such a pedant, but here goes.

Everything these days is cladding, at least in multi-storey buildings. Cladding just means a non-structural outer skin of a building, which keeps the building wind and water tight. You can have plastic cladding, or metal cladding, but also stone or brick cladding. You can have a classical or gothic building if you want, with a stone cladding that is attached to a steel or concrete frame.

The alternative is to have a load bearing facade, ie the City Chambers. However, it's slower to build, significantly more expensive, difficult to alter internal layouts, and the more storeys you build, the thicker the masonry has to be at the base. So no one ever ever builds like that any more.

Of course, none of this excuses how awful this buildings is. They talk about saving the building, but of course, they haven't. They've retained a fairly indifferent bit of stonework, and lost the interesting bits of the building.
maccoinnich
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:17 am

gordon wrote:That is one of the worst images ive seen in ages!

To say nothing of the architecture (which is absolutely hoorish), they could have put a bit more effort into the 'The Plaza' text above the door..i tell ya, photoshop ain't what it used to be......

Aye and lookit the height of the folk on the pavement nearest us, just the height of that wee fence, wee 3 foot adults.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:27 am

anyone know whats happening with the garage next door? I wouldnt be too chuffed spending loads to have a view of some guys ass crack whilst he fiddles with a car.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:45 pm

My Kitten wrote:anyone know whats happening with the garage next door? I wouldnt be too chuffed spending loads to have a view of some guys ass crack whilst he fiddles with a car.

I seem to recall it being closed for a refit not so long ago...so I would guess its staying put. Also worth noting it's got some of the consistently lowest prices in the ss so i hope its staying put for my own convenience, and penny pinching reasons ;)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tobester » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:23 pm

Saw an advert for the houses yesterday in (i think) the sunday mail.

Wish id kept the ad
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)