The Clyde ferries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Clyde ferries

Postby Mori » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:36 pm

Clyde Ferries

At one point a number of small passenger ferries run by the Clyde Navigation Trust linked the north and south sides of the Clyde.

The Finnieston ferry ran from Elliot Street to Marine Street, Govan, the Govan ferry ran from Ferry Road to Water Row and the Kelvinhaugh ferry from Pointhouse Road to Highland Lane.

The Govan ferry service closed in January 1966 with Finnieston on April 1977 and Kelvinhaugh shortly afterwards, the little ferries made redundant by the building of the Clyde Tunnel, the Kingston Bridge and the modernisation of the subway
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:05 am

Interesting proposal, I wonder if their idea is to use the Renfrew Ferries when they are retired ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:16 pm

We took a sail over to Renfrew today . We walked towards Braehead but turned into the wee park onto the riverside and walked into the shopping centre then out to the Maritine museum and took the river bus up to Glasgow. We did this recently but today was great for pics.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:12 pm

Goodbye Pride o’ the Clyde :cry:

Image Image

THE popular waterbus service that ferried thousands of tourists between Glasgow and Braehead has been axed.
In a shock move, the 58ft Pride O' The Clyde has been sold to the trust that runs steamer services on Loch Katrine in the Trossachs.
The vessel has already left the Clyde and is to be relaunched next week as the Lady of the Lake. The fee has not been revealed.
Jennifer Gilmour, who with husband Alex operated the former Dutch waterbus on the Clyde for six years, said they felt it was "time to move on".
Mrs Gilmour said the couple had approached Glasgow City Council to ask if it wanted to take over the service but it rejected the offer.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:19 pm

Mori wrote:Goodbye Pride o’ the Clyde :cry:

Does anyone know how they're planning to get it up there. I wouldn't have thought the roads were up to it.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bearkit » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:31 pm

The last steamer that operated on Loch Katrine; I think it was the Sir Walter Scott - I think it was taken up in sections and assembled up there.
bearkit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby yoker brian » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:37 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Mori wrote:[b]Goodbye Pride o’ the Clyde
Does anyone know how they're planning to get it up there. I wouldn't have thought the roads were up to it.

They wouldnt risk taking it through Aberfoyle and onto the single track road, or the dukes pass - If it was us moving it it would probably go via Stirling / Callander the roads are pretty good coming that way.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:23 pm

Am I missing something?? I found this news really alarming- knew nothing till I saw Mori's post - - I thought the "big plan" was that Glasgow would start to use her river and feature it as an integral part of city life. This looks like a backward step and all we seem to be concerned about is which road the boat will take to get out of Glasgow!!! Please tell me there's another post somewhere about a river taxi service about to start ( not in the pipeline!!)
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:59 pm

Afraid not Duck GCC has been alltalk and no action as regards to retaining the pride o the clyde ...which is a disgrace considering the amount of effort the owners did to retain the service Council Did F all to help them... shame on you GCC for losing the city its 1 and only service on the clyde.

This is a quote from Duncan Macniven one of the 1st skipers of the pride of the clyde from an Evening times feature
Evening times

Posted by: Duncan, East Kilbride on 8:31pm Fri 26 Oct 07
The picture in tonight’s Glasgow Evening Times, (25 Oct. 2007,) of the Kingston Bridge shot from the deck of The Pride of The Clyde has prompted me to write to you. As one of the ex. skippers of this service, it is with a heavy heart that I say to you that the service has been suspended, as The Pride of The Clyde has been sold to operate on Loch Katrine. Alex and Jennifer Gilmour started this service on the Clyde in 2001, and I am proud to say I was their first full time skipper then. Against all the odds and much shaking of heads they put their boat on the river and made the service viable, through sheer guts, determination, and good customer relations. Many times they came close to ruin, obstacles in their path were many. Breakdowns, legislation, lack of official support, bloody minded jobs worth’s, weather, personal tragedy, the list is endless. The agencies that we all pay vast sums of money to through our taxes are guilty of shoddy and indifferent neglect of a unique and visionary fledgling business, which employed four staff, but has the potential to employ so many more. Scottish Enterprise stand accused by me as one of the worst examples of all. Their contribution was £5000 of marketing money. Which was given straight to one of their pet companies who were as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike, and brought in the grand sum of nothing. Glasgow council are as bad. The landing area at Jamaica Quay Glasgow, is a scum ridden disgusting anarchic crime zone, permanently strewn with broken Buckie bottles, with Ned’s harassing passengers under the beady eye of a CCTV camera. The same Ned’s that defecate and urinate there in public, one of the most intimidating areas in the city centre. The Central Station rail bridge above the berth, is home to several homeless people, drunks and addicts alike, who have been heard and seen singing and throwing muck down into the river below. Graffiti is everywhere. Lines of washing are to be seen hanging out on the south side on a regular basis. We had a complaint from some residents on a Sunday morning for waking them up! A one legged drunk could gain access to the bridge, how secure is that in this terrorist age? We have seen bridges built over the river that cuts of Glasgow to heavy shipping. Alec’s objections were met with accusations of preventing a job creation scheme at Pacific Quay. Rather ironic given the present state of play at BBC Scotland. Glasgow does not deserve this historic and unique river running though it’s centre. “Glasgow made the Clyde and the Clyde made Glasgow,” has a very hollow ring to it now. The straw that broke the camels back, is the rumours that Scottish Enterprise are proposing a feasibility study, with Strathclyde Passenger Transport, with a view to putting a waterbus service on the river. Alex and Jennifer and their family and ex employees, gave this service their all. I cannot blame the Gilmour’s for selling their vessel. I would have done the same. Duncan Macniven, East Kilbride. Bells Bridge River Clyde Glasgow. Summary of Complaint. q Clyde waterbus services, has been running since 2001 on a regular 7 day schedule. q Bells Bridge cannot operate at wind speed over 17 knots. q The Bells Bridge is hindering navigation and legitimate trading on the river. q Bells Bridge has been adopted by Scottish Enterprise, and they seem unwilling to do the required upgrading to allow navigation in all weather. q Since 2001 we have been told each year that the bridge is to be upgraded. q £150000 is the annual budget to keep the bridge operational. q Scottish Enterprise charters the waterbus to review the regeneration on the river on a regular basis. q The company has ambition to expand so creating more jobs. The bridge problem is preventing that expansion. q The bridge problem is losing the business large sums of money each month. q Public confidence and goodwill which has been built up is being eroded. Full details of this complaint are attatched. BELLS BRIDGE GLASGOW AND UPPER CLYDE NAVIGATION. Since 2001 we have been operating a waterbus service on the River Clyde between Glasgow and Braehead, Renfrew shire, with the Pride o The Clyde waterbus. http://www.clydewate rbusservices.co.uk/ We operate a regular schedule seven days a week, and the business has been built from nothing on goodwill and quality of service. That good will and quality is being compromised by the fact that The Bells Bridge is not fit for purpose. So causing considerable loss of revenue and damage to our business. There is also the question of the blight on navigation of the Upper Clyde. As we understand it the bridge now comes under the jurisdiction of Scottish Enterprise. It is severely in need of a refit and upgrade. At the moment wind speeds above 17 knots renders the bridge inoperable and prevents our navigation at tides of 4.2 metres and above, which are now frequent. The bridge was constructed for the Garden Festival in 1988. It had a quoted life of 10 years. It was planned to remove it. Over time it has become a symbols of the upper river and won a place in the affection of the public. Removing it would now seem to be difficult. It has been quoted that the budget for maintaining and operating the bridge is £150,000. pa. The structure is in need of stronger rigging and bracing to allow it to function in all weather. Since we began operation six years ago we have been told every year that the work is about to be done. Weather conditions now are becoming more volatile and high winds are not uncommon, on the upper Clyde. Clyde Waterbus Services, are being prevented from going about their legitimate business. Which must be in breach of the law. The business is being prevented form expansion, and the employment of more staff. Yet we have to witness the spectacle of Scottish Enterprise hiring the vessel to show clients and dignitaries the regeneration work of the river. On one occasion we had on board dignitaries from abroad who were held up and inconvenienced because of the bridge, causing major embarrassment to us and Glasgow. Much is rightly being made about the regeneration of the river side. Hardly a day goes by without an announcement of another multi million pound project. Very little of that is finding it’s way to infrastructure and assistance to actual users of the river. Many large cities around the world would be proud to have such a high way flowing through its centre. Many do and utilise it to the full. The lack of such facilities and infrastructure for ferries and water taxis is a disgrace, and does not seem to appear on the radar of those with their hands on the levers. In terms of public transport and inner city congestion, our waterbus service is as environmentally friendly and green as we have right now. A clear uncongested highway right from the heart of the city, except when the wind blows. Surely in light of all the talk about alternative transport links, carbon foot prints, and massive traffic jams, we should be promoting and supporting not hindering modes of transport like our waterbus. http://www.clydewate rbusservices.co.uk/ Yours sincerely,
The picture in tonight’s Glasgow Evening Times, (25 Oct. 2007,) of the Kingston Bridge shot from the deck of The Pride of The Clyde has prompted me to write to you.
As one of the ex. skippers of this service, it is with a heavy heart that I say to you that the service has been suspended, as The Pride of The Clyde has been sold to operate on Loch Katrine.
Alex and Jennifer Gilmour started this service on the Clyde in 2001, and I am proud to say I was their first full time skipper then. Against all the odds and much shaking of heads they put their boat on the river and made the service viable, through sheer guts, determination, and good customer relations. Many times they came close to ruin, obstacles in their path were many. Breakdowns, legislation, lack of official support, bloody minded jobs worth’s, weather, personal tragedy, the list is endless.
The agencies that we all pay vast sums of money to through our taxes are guilty of shoddy and indifferent neglect of a unique and visionary fledgling business, which employed four staff, but has the potential to employ so many more.
Scottish Enterprise stand accused by me as one of the worst examples of all. Their contribution was £5000 of marketing money. Which was given straight to one of their pet companies who were as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike, and brought in the grand sum of nothing.
Glasgow council are as bad. The landing area at Jamaica Quay Glasgow, is a scum ridden disgusting anarchic crime zone, permanently strewn with broken Buckie bottles, with Ned’s harassing passengers under the beady eye of a CCTV camera. The same Ned’s that defecate and urinate there in public, one of the most intimidating areas in the city centre.
The Central Station rail bridge above the berth, is home to several homeless people, drunks and addicts alike, who have been heard and seen singing and throwing muck down into the river below. Graffiti is everywhere. Lines of washing are to be seen hanging out on the south side on a regular basis. We had a complaint from some residents on a Sunday morning for waking them up!
A one legged drunk could gain access to the bridge, how secure is that in this terrorist age?
We have seen bridges built over the river that cuts of Glasgow to heavy shipping. Alec’s objections were met with accusations of preventing a job creation scheme at Pacific Quay. Rather ironic given the present state of play at BBC Scotland.
Glasgow does not deserve this historic and unique river running though it’s centre. “Glasgow made the Clyde and the Clyde made Glasgow,” has a very hollow ring to it now.
The straw that broke the camels back, is the rumours that Scottish Enterprise are proposing a feasibility study, with Strathclyde Passenger Transport, with a view to putting a waterbus service on the river.
Alex and Jennifer and their family and ex employees, gave this service their all. I cannot blame the Gilmour’s for selling their vessel. I would have done the same.

Duncan Macniven, East Kilbride.
Bells Bridge River Clyde Glasgow. Summary of Complaint.

q Clyde waterbus services, has been running since 2001 on a regular 7 day schedule.
q Bells Bridge cannot operate at wind speed over 17 knots.
q The Bells Bridge is hindering navigation and legitimate trading on the river.
q Bells Bridge has been adopted by Scottish Enterprise, and they seem unwilling to do the required upgrading to allow navigation in all weather.
q Since 2001 we have been told each year that the bridge is to be upgraded.
q £150000 is the annual budget to keep the bridge operational.
q Scottish Enterprise charters the waterbus to review the regeneration on the river on a regular basis.
q The company has ambition to expand so creating more jobs. The bridge problem is preventing that expansion.
q The bridge problem is losing the business large sums of money each month.
q Public confidence and goodwill which has been built up is being eroded.

Full details of this complaint are attatched.
BELLS BRIDGE GLASGOW AND UPPER CLYDE NAVIGATION.

Since 2001 we have been operating a waterbus service on the River Clyde between Glasgow and Braehead, Renfrew shire, with the Pride o The Clyde waterbus. http://www.clydewate
rbusservices.co.uk/ We operate a regular schedule seven days a week, and the business has been built from nothing on goodwill and quality of service.

That good will and quality is being compromised by the fact that The Bells Bridge is not fit for purpose. So causing considerable loss of revenue and damage to our business. There is also the question of the blight on navigation of the Upper Clyde.

As we understand it the bridge now comes under the jurisdiction of Scottish Enterprise. It is severely in need of a refit and upgrade. At the moment wind speeds above 17 knots renders the bridge inoperable and prevents our navigation at tides of 4.2 metres and above, which are now frequent.

The bridge was constructed for the Garden Festival in 1988. It had a quoted life of 10 years. It was planned to remove it. Over time it has become a symbols of the upper river and won a place in the affection of the public. Removing it would now seem to be difficult. It has been quoted that the budget for maintaining and operating the bridge is £150,000. pa.

The structure is in need of stronger rigging and bracing to allow it to function in all weather. Since we began operation six years ago we have been told every year that the work is about to be done.

Weather conditions now are becoming more volatile and high winds are not uncommon, on the upper Clyde.

Clyde Waterbus Services, are being prevented from going about their legitimate business. Which must be in breach of the law. The business is being prevented form expansion, and the employment of more staff. Yet we have to witness the spectacle of Scottish Enterprise hiring the vessel to show clients and dignitaries the regeneration work of the river. On one occasion we had on board dignitaries from abroad who were held up and inconvenienced because of the bridge, causing major embarrassment to us and Glasgow.

Much is rightly being made about the regeneration of the river side. Hardly a day goes by without an announcement of another multi million pound project. Very little of that is finding it’s way to infrastructure and assistance to actual users of the river. Many large cities around the world would be proud to have such a high way flowing through its centre. Many do and utilise it to the full. The lack of such facilities and infrastructure for ferries and water taxis is a disgrace, and does not seem to appear on the radar of those with their hands on the levers.

In terms of public transport and inner city congestion, our waterbus service is as environmentally friendly and green as we have right now. A clear uncongested highway right from the heart of the city, except when the wind blows. Surely in light of all the talk about alternative transport links, carbon foot prints, and massive traffic jams, we should be promoting and supporting not hindering modes of transport like our waterbus.

http://www.clydewate
rbusservices.co.uk/

Yours sincerely,
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:22 pm

Excellent statement, sums it all up really, how sad.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:45 pm

Thanks for that Mori- as HH says, very sad reading. I took a wee trip on her when I was home last year and would happily have taken another. makes your blood boil when you hear about what they had to go through - have seen similar experiences here in France so I think it's a " civil servant "malaise. Just wish there was something we could do to combat "those folk". I know this is probably not the right board but you just have to look at what's happened here since Sarkozy announced the end of the cushy retirement arrangements for civil servants!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby peter » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:47 pm

Well said. It seems ironic that it was one of my photos taken from the Pride in the Times. These people in charge, City Fathers, Scottish Enterprise and et al should hang thier damned heads in shame at the demise of the Pride. I lived all my life beside the river and it saddens me to see how the city has turned it's back on such an asset. Where else in the world would this happen. Certainly not in London, just look at the hordes of tour boats. London Eye. The numerous club venues , many old Clyde Steamers. Even Paris has numerous boats and not just the tour boats .
Boats that are lived on. Look how hard it is to get a mooring in London Docklands. Yet here we could have a huge population living on inner city houseboats.
All the plastic crappy Glasgow Harbour development is too antiseptic. I've seen the Glasgow Harbour crap up close and it is awful. Impersonal and like Fort Knox to access.
The riverside needs community ie shops, cafes, bars, restaurants. It needs LIFE.
Just think how much traffic could be removed from the roads both sides if we had a regular ferry service up and down the river. Not unlike the original Cluthas. As for scrapping the Yoker Renfrew ferry and building a bridge thats plain nuts.
What kind of a bridge ?? Bells ? or even the Millenium. No big ships still need to get to KGV dock and BAE Govan and Scotstoun need to pass there.
No as I said those in charge should drag thier noses from the trough and concentrate on making the most of our river.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm

Here's a couple of pics of the Erskine ferry. It was my "local" one, and my granny used to take us over to Erskine from Old Kilpatrick quite often on it. Found both pics on the web a while ago, can't remember where though. :?

travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:44 pm

Nice wee site on the Renfrew Ferry here:
http://www.myrenfrew.com/renfrew_ferry.htm
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:55 pm

From the foot of Water Row were these items related to the Govan Ferry?

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects