Botanic Gardens Station Re-building Proposal

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby lynnski » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:50 pm

Redevelopment of this building is a good idea. Stefan King's idea for a nightclub, restaurant etc is a VERY VERY BAD idea!! There is already Oran Mor just over the road, there is no need for an almost identical project in the same area. And lets face it, does the West End really need ANOTHER restaurant/bar/nightclub?? There are plenty of them already!! A cafe* and visitors centre would be a good idea, and could help educate visitors and locals alike on the history of the area.

*perhaps a licensed cafe that could sell locally produced food and drinks, therefore being a good idea all round!! ::): ::): And obviously by local, I don't just mean Glasgow, but products from the surrounding areas.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:55 pm

lynnski wrote:Redevelopment of this building is a good idea. Stefan King's idea for a nightclub, restaurant etc is a VERY VERY BAD idea!! There is already Oran Mor just over the road, there is no need for an almost identical project in the same area. And lets face it, does the West End really need ANOTHER restaurant/bar/nightclub?? There are plenty of them already!! A cafe* and visitors centre would be a good idea, and could help educate visitors and locals alike on the history of the area.

*perhaps a licensed cafe that could sell locally produced food and drinks, therefore being a good idea all round!! ::): ::): And obviously by local, I don't just mean Glasgow, but products from the surrounding areas.

West End Night Clubs

Tye Venue at Oran mor
The Viper
The Boho

we probably could do with another one.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby zappi23 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:06 am

Lynnski: Why is the idea of a nightclub built in a disused railway station such a very very bad idea? I can't see such a facility impacting negatively on the area at all. There are a lot of pubs around that neck of the woods, but not many clubs. Perhaps this can offer something different for folks in the area, and lessen the need for the few remaining young folks in an increasingly middle-aged and middle-class area to have to head into town. I'm no fan of Stefan King's empire, but this proposal looks rather good - even the tiny railway!

Not so keen on the mention of the Council accepting tenders for Kelvingrove though..... Get that bandstand fixed up!!!
zappi23
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby lynnski » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:59 pm

Well Dex you forgot Queen Margaret Union, and Framptons up in Maryhill so there's another 2 for you. Think about the size of the West End, it's not that big an area! It doesn't heed to be hoaching with nightclubs! And there are a good few along Sauchiehall Street at Charing Cross, they're within walking distance. The West End certainly has plenty of pubs, so no need for any more. Another cafe might be ok, given we have a few, but not lots. The idea of the wee railway is somewhat appealing, I must admit. Where it is is my primary concern. It's not just being proposed that we build this in any old park, it's the Botanic Fucking Gardens!! A site of scientific and historic importance!! Why not build a big restaraunt/cafe/nightclub complex in Ruchill park, eh? It's got plenty ground going spare! :evil:
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:01 pm

Sorry Lynnski but I have to disagree with you too
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Zipper » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:38 am

BOTANIC GARDEN SITE PLANS GET GREEN LIGHT
13 September 2007

Glasgow City Council's Land and Environment Policy, Development and Scrutiny Committee has agreed the lease of the former railway site in the Botanic Gardens to the G1 Group.

At a special meeting, members of the Land and Environment Policy Development and Scrutiny Committee agreed on the Executive Committee's decision to allow the lease and restoration of the James Miller railway station building as a cafe and restaurant together with a performance facility and nightclub venue.

The new decision making arrangements attached to the new committee system means the Policy Development and Scrutiny Committees can hold the Executive Committee to account on decisions it has made.

It is one of the major strengths of the new committee system and allows far more time to be spent on individual issues which people feel would benefit from further discussion.

With the lease approved, there will now be a full statutory consultation exercise as part of the planning process, where local residents will have the opportunity to submit their views regarding the proposal to the Council.
Zipper
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:07 pm

and Framptons up in Maryhill

You blew it just there.

You could have said the RAFA club, you could have mentioned the Hetherington, a mere suggestion of PJ Champs would have sufficed but Framptons a West End Night club. It's in Maryhill precisely to keep the neds out the West End.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:15 pm

Is BOHO, considered to be the Westend,is Framptons ? PWE site forum users have stated that they consider below Chancellor St to be Partick not Westend and I believe, further than Oban Drive to be Maryhill. Dive in and correct me if you like. I know folk that live in spitting distance of St George underground who believe (and pay for accommodation accordingly) that they live in the Westend. Dex will know cos he keeps an eye out for "neds" ink:
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:32 pm

I've always considered Woodlands to be a part of the West End, and I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise.

The RAFA et al are wee and civilised. Opening up something big and noisome is likely to leave the Botanics knee-deep in chip-pokes and vomit.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:56 pm

The way I see it is this is likely to be the one and only opportunity to have this station rebuilt and so it should be grabbed with both hands. The nightclub will make use of the abandoned tunnel and so the noise will be contained underground, not that I think it would make much difference really as I have never once been at the junction of Byres and Grt Western Rds and it not be noisy. It should also be borne in mind that nightclubs are subject to licensing regulations and will thus have to ensure they do no breach them on any level lest they have the good people of the westend come down on them like a ton of falling masonry and forcing a limited operation or even closure.

Didn't know they were extending the opening hours of the Botanics and opening a chippie PJ :P
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby potatojunkie » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:29 am

There's a van just a cross the way (and a chippy, come to think) and climbing over walls while you're drunk is amazing fun.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:34 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
and Framptons up in Maryhill

You blew it just there.

You could have said the RAFA club, you could have mentioned the Hetherington, a mere suggestion of PJ Champs would have sufficed but Framptons a West End Night club. It's in Maryhill precisely to keep the neds out the West End.

If that's the case, it isn't doing a very good job.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:45 am

Well exactly!! You ever been down Byres Road at 2/3am on a Saturday night? Almost as bad as Sauchiehall Street these days.I mentioned the 1st two 'clubs' that came to mind. I know many of you disagree with me, and that's fine. I don't mind! Coz I know I'm right. :P
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:35 pm

elgee wrote:Is BOHO, considered to be the Westend,is Framptons ? PWE site forum users have stated that they consider below Chancellor St to be Partick not Westend and I believe, further than Oban Drive to be Maryhill. Dive in and correct me if you like. I know folk that live in spitting distance of St George underground who believe (and pay for accommodation accordingly) that they live in the Westend. Dex will know cos he keeps an eye out for "neds" ink:

They're in the West End of the city, "Westend" is a stupid word, a made up name for an area of streets. Like "Merchant City".
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Suppose it depends what mood you're in.

Postby MungoDundas » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:31 pm

I'd always understood that the West End was a state of mind / kind of outlook more than a fixed area? Mind you try telling that to the clowns who dream that their private gym club in the Vague lands of Temple is the «West End» branch. (Then again – on the fitness front - they' may have to sprint down Tambowie Street quick sharp style to avoid having to surrender their mobile or watch ,etc.). However, they were just being conservative ~ in a Remax world, the West End would now seem to stretch West from the M8 to Scotstoun Shipyard and North from the Clyde to Ruchill (perhaps Maryhill Basin becomes the West End Riviera?).

Anyway, maybe G1 has gone off the boil a bit lately, so what what kind of market will this proposed nightclub be aiming at? I'm getting more intolerant of scuzziness as I get older. Similarly, unnecessary volume. A worthwhile nightclub would be quite novel, usually these kind of affairs are late licenced drinking shops with pre-recorded music.

If it turns out to be a good place, I'll have welcomed it.
If it turns out to be a trashpit that attracts ne'er-do-wells, then I'll have told you so.
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development