soundtrack of glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby blackhack » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:32 pm

have you all taken leave of your senses...surely the Glesga rap by Johnny Beattie is the top Glasgow tune of all time???
blackhack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cheesylion » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:33 pm

I was never much of a fan when I was younger but think they are fab now. Can't wait 'til Nov.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deakin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:20 am

Mine is from the Young person's guide to becoming a rock star album.

" Why won't you shag me? "

Reason being,heard this at a karaoke night in glasgow. the everyone was in stiches and singing along, Best night out i've ever had.
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
deakin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Two songs

Postby Osiris » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:30 am

hiya,

'The Rattler' by Goodbye Mr Mackenzie always reminds me of Glasgow, its more personal though as it was released around the time I started venturing into the toon as a young lad.

I also think of Billy Connelly's 'Last Train tae Glasgow Central' whenever I pass that particular station. :D

J
Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:33 am

There are a few Hue and Cry tracks that could be squeezed on I'm sure.

ps. I've got a funny stewarding story about Deacon Blue if anyone's interested?
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:45 am

.....Go on then.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:18 am

Before Deacon Blue hit the big time they were on the usual grindstone of small-time gigs in and around Glasgow where they had a massive following.

One gig they had was at the Glasgow School of Art, the part where the Cool Lemon raves were held, and I had the dubious honour of working there at the time.

I had not yet ascended to the 'heady' heights of being a Head Steward and was still just cannon fodder. Our 'Heedjin' was a thick necked monster of a man, lets call him Jimmy as that was indeed his name.

We 'one-star' stewards were standing at the top of the stairs having our instructions for the night barked at us by Big Jimmy .. "You and you .. you're inside, you and you .. you're upstairs wi' Mr Heevrin, ... the rest of you are on the front door wi' me.

Noo the night is gonnae be f*ckin' jumpin'.." , the queue did indeed start at the bottom of the stairs and stretch down the street and round the corner.

Jimmy continued "It's some new band , fae Glasgow, supposed tae be awright but ah've never heard of them." .. Jimmy was no connoisseur of music .. "so it's strictly tickets only! Naebody, NAE BODY gets in withoot a ticket."

We all nodded in agreement. Just then some of the lads from the band itself came bouncing up the stairs.

Jimmy sort of half turned and spat "Dae you no see the sign numpty? It's tickets only .. get tae the back of the queue!"

The band, being the band, presumed the instruction was meant for a punter in the queue and continued to climb the stairs.

Jimmy went a funny shade of purple and all the veins on his foreheid began to pop out and he bellowed "Did you no hear me.. arseholes? Tickets Only! Get tae the back of the fuckin' queue!!".

One of the unfortunate band members nervously stammered "But ... but we're Deacon Blue."

Jimmy went apoplectic and screamed "DEACON BLUE?? YE'LL BE F*CKIN' BLACK AN' BLUE IF YE GET TAE THE TAP O' THESE STAIRS WITHOOT A F*CKIN' TICKET!!"

*true story*
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:49 am

Doorstop wrote:Before Deacon Blue hit the big time they were on the usual grindstone of small-time gigs in and around Glasgow where they had a massive following.

One gig they had was at the Glasgow School of Art, the part where the Cool Lemon raves were held, and I had the dubious honour of working there at the time.

I had not yet ascended to the 'heady' heights of being a Head Steward and was still just cannon fodder. Our 'Heedjin' was a thick necked monster of a man, lets call him Jimmy as that was indeed his name.

We 'one-star' stewards were standing at the top of the stairs having our instructions for the night barked at us by Big Jimmy .. "You and you .. you're inside, you and you .. you're upstairs wi' Mr Heevrin, ... the rest of you are on the front door wi' me.

Noo the night is gonnae be f*ckin' jumpin'.." , the queue did indeed start at the bottom of the stairs and stretch down the street and round the corner.

Jimmy continued "It's some new band , fae Glasgow, supposed tae be awright but ah've never heard of them." .. Jimmy was no connoisseur of music .. "so it's strictly tickets only! Naebody, NAE BODY gets in withoot a ticket."

We all nodded in agreement. Just then some of the lads from the band itself came bouncing up the stairs.

Jimmy sort of half turned and spat "Dae you no see the sign numpty? It's tickets only .. get tae the back of the queue!"

The band, being the band, presumed the instruction was meant for a punter in the queue and continued to climb the stairs.

Jimmy went a funny shade of purple and all the veins on his foreheid began to pop out and he bellowed "Did you no hear me.. arseholes? Tickets Only! Get tae the back of the fuckin' queue!!".

One of the unfortunate band members nervously stammered "But ... but we're Deacon Blue."

Jimmy went apoplectic and screamed "DEACON BLUE?? YE'LL BE F*CKIN' BLACK AN' BLUE IF YE GET TAE THE TAP O' THESE STAIRS WITHOOT A F*CKIN' TICKET!!"

*true story*

Awesome.

Was at the gog myself and took a few picutures too. Will post them when I have time to get them scanned in.

IIRC the art school gig was broadcast by radio clyde and some of the tracks were on the anniversary issue of raintown.
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:15 pm

I played in bands in the early 80s and once we were doing a gig in East Kilbride of all places. Our keyboard player (who now plays guitar for Primal Scream) didn't play on every song and so he sneaked out for a cigarette and a bit of fresh air during the set. When he tried to return in time for the next song the doormen wouldn't let him back in so we had to finish the set keyboardless.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Doorstop » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:07 pm

JayKay wrote:
Was at the gog myself and took a few pictures too. Will post them when I have time to get them scanned in.

Would love to see those JayKay .. a right good blast from the past.

Seeing all those tartan workies shirts with a white t-shirts underneath and baggy tapered denims would give many an HG'er a wry smile.

Those of you wore them .. you know who you are. ::):
Last edited by Doorstop on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:52 pm

Mother Glasgow?

In the second city of the Empire
Mother Glasgow watches all her weans
Trying hard to feed her little starlings
Unconsciously she clips their little wings

Mother Glasgow's succour is perpetual
Nestling the Billy and the Tim
I dreamt I took a dander with St. Mungo
To try to catch a fish that couldnay swim

Verse 2 as above

Among the flightless birds and sightless starlings
Father Glasgow knows his starlings well
He wont make his own way up to heaven
By waltzing all his charges in to hell

Mother Glasgow's succour is perpetual
Nestling the Billy and the Tim
I dreamt I took a dander with St. Mungo
To try to catch a fish that couldnay swim

And the tree
And the fish
And the bird
And the bell…

Let Glasgow Flourish!

No' a bad song for having been written by a Dundonian :wink:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Aye ..good!

Not as good as my story aboot rippin' the pish oot of Deacon Blue though. :wink:

I've got twenty five years worth of them.

::):
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:21 pm

Doorstop wrote:Aye ..good!

Not as good as my story aboot rippin' the pish oot of Deacon Blue though. :wink: ::):

Yer right and it's sic a guid story ah don't gie a f*ck if its true or no' :wink:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:36 pm

::):
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Mother Glasgow

Postby blackhack » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:09 am