The worst chippy in Glasgow.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon May 24, 2004 11:03 am

Worst Chippy in Glasgow had to be "Greasey Allys" in Kelvinhall, at the bottom of Hastie Street facing the Art Gallerys. Can't remember it's real name, but you found toe nails and hair in your roll & chips. Also, the guy behind the counter was an "alleged" sex pest to young girls in the area.

:?: Mustardman, you'll remember it mate, what was its real name :?:
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Mon May 24, 2004 11:11 am

Whoa there people!

The Blue Lagoon on Dumbarton Road is OK and I've been to Harry Ramsdens to sit in with my old auntie (old folks like that sort of thing) and it was also tasy.

Fact-of-the-Day:
Abrakebabra was/is Irelands fasted growing fast food outlet. It no longer exists in town :cry:
Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mustardman » Tue May 25, 2004 5:15 pm

Gazzathecoigne wrote:Worst Chippy in Glasgow had to be "Greasey Allys" in Kelvinhall, at the bottom of Hastie Street facing the Art Gallerys. Can't remember it's real name, but you found toe nails and hair in your roll & chips. Also, the guy behind the counter was an "alleged" sex pest to young girls in the area.

:?: Mustardman, you'll remember it mate, what was its real name :?:

Aye, is it not Kelvingrove cafe...i remember that his daughter went to my primary school, Dowanhill. That building is now a new modern housing development
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Tue May 25, 2004 6:07 pm

That's the one MM, cheers mate. :)
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Glassford St Chippy

Postby ping » Thu May 27, 2004 11:08 am

Had an unfortunate incident in the chippy across from Argos at the bottom of Glassford Street. Full on fish and hair surprise. Brought this incident up to the chef (?). Gave me a look like it was me that implanted it below the batter. I'm sure everyone has a pube supper story. Anyway from the bad to the good...

Allans Fish Bar on Storey Street in Paisley. Gallus fish teas ( one inch of margarine on the bread ), 50's décor and wooden forks.
ping
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:20 am

trudger wrote:There was a chippy on Byres road when I lived there called, I think, Lorettos. I used to buy deep fried pizzas (the 25 pence variety they used to sell to starving students in Presto Byres Road). If I ate one now I think I'd be hospitalised for a month. I once told an Italian friend about this Glaswegian culinary wonder and he looked at me as if I had a death wish. The guys that served behind the counter were as greasy as the pizzas and had personalities to match. They didnt even have the courtesy to thank me for my custom as they slowly turned me into the wreck that I am today.

They had a Lorettos in Albion Street, it was mentioned/exposed in the papers often for failing to meet hygiene standards. Still good enough for me mind :).
Alex
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby crazygray23 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:49 pm

ralphs tastybites on sheildhall rd is a great chippy with suppers for £1.50 being sold at lunchtimes thru the week :wink:
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:50 pm

I hate the Lagoons as well. What is it with tiny portions of chips? They're always clean enough inside, i guess, but come on, I'm a growing lad...

Sometimes good, sometimes crap, always bad service is the chippie just down from shawlands cross. Dunno what it's called. You know the one, there's a sit-in bit as well. On the LHS of the road as you're heading into town. You can be waiting aaages just for someone to venture through to the front of the shop, they forget what you've ordered, even when the shop's empty, and the guy's just plain odd. Nice enough, but odd.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:31 am

The Ambassador Chip shop, spent many a drunken stuper in that shop trying to buy chips (in my younger days of course)

The guy isn't odd he is deaf and he is a really nice bloke.
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:13 am

The ambassador, is that what it's called? Cool, cheers.

Saves me walking round the corner and checking. :) :)
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:12 pm

nah, not the ambassador. Luigi's i think. between the start of minard road and the co-op.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:38 pm

Went for a drive the other night. Ended up in Dumbarton. The missus decided she was starving and wanted a bag of chips. "There's a chippy there." she said. "No way!", I wasn't having it, "That's a Blue Lagoon!". She looked at me, puzzled, "So?". "So it's the worst chip shop on the planet. People have ended up in hospital after going into a Blue Lagoon!" I was getting a bit animated by this point. I explained about this infamous chain of shops but it seemed lost on her. She barked back "Don't talk rubbish", the usual reply when I try to state a fact. "And I suppose the building used to be a train station too, did it?" she sneered (I had mentioned this discussion and Hidden Glasgow). Well that was me clamped, so I let her have her way, for her cheek. "It's your funeral", I chuckled as she got out the car. A couple of minutes later she returned, and promptly started munching away as I drove back in the general direction of Clydebank.

The chips were disposed of in double quick time, and the usual big grin she has when she gets a bag of chips was present. I noticed a smile developing on my face too but paid no attention as I was concentrating on the driving. "They tasted a bit funny" she said, having a sip of the Bru. My smile grew. We had reached Old Kilpatrick and there was the usual riot in the street outside the pub (I swear I have never driven through that town at night and not seen some sort of trouble there!). She seemed unconcerned with this, an unusual situation. Then came those immortal words, "I feel sick". I couldn't help it, I was laughing out loud by this point. When we got home the toilet was the first port of call followed by bed, tea and a basin just in case.

Lady's and Gentlemen, we have a new convert to the cause!

It begs the question. One chip shop being a bit dodgy is understandable, but how can a whole chain of them be equally as awful?
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:46 pm

DVF wrote:

It begs the question. One chip shop being a bit dodgy is understandable, but how can a whole chain of them be equally as awful?

It's thanks to the advanced 'used over and over' oil technology:

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:39 pm

The new Blue Lagoon at Central Station has an inflatable alien in the window, with a card on it saying "Everyone comes to the Blue Lagoon for a bag of chips"

There's a prize for the first person to go and stick a bit of paper on the window under this, on which is written the words "And then they realise they taste like shit"

I want photographic proof, and no photoshoppery.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:40 pm

Theres a movie coming out called 'Supersize me' its a documentry about a guy who lives for 30 days only on Macdonalds grub. he ends up in a hell of a state the poor guy.
We could do a Hidden Glasgow version and call it 'Blue Lagoon me'

As far as them not changing their oil, they do, they swap it with another shop, customer service states it must be kept equally vile citywide.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants