Barrowland Ballroom Sign - Listing?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Barrowland Ballroom Sign - Listing?

Postby My Kitten » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:25 pm

http://www.sundayherald.com/54445

A NEW campaign has been launched to make the famous neon façade of the Barrowland Ballroom in Glasgow’s east end a listed landmark.

The bright and distinctive Barrowland sign is “an iconic image of Scotland” say the campaigners, who are keen to secure its status, should the building ever be sold for development.

Architect Alan Pert is to meet Historic Scotland this week to begin discussions on how the Las Vegas-style sign could be given listed status, alongside such prestigious buildings as Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s Scotland Street School and the Stirling Athenaeum.

Pert said: “We will submit a dossier about the history of the Barrowland building to Historic Scotland next week.

“The Barrowland is something so distinctive and unique that I think it should be preserved. The area is one of regeneration and development and I personally would always regret it if we didn’t try to secure it as a listed building and it was sold in the future and demolished.

“It is an instant symbol of Glasgow and although you could say that the sign is quite brash, I think it deserves to be recognised by Historic Scotland.”

Pert, of Glasgow architect Nord, has won support from city councillor Alex Mosson, the Glasgow Nightclub Forum and several concert promoters.

The venue’s general manager Tom Joyes has also backed plans for the proposal, calling the idea of the building becoming listed “fantastic”.

“We only became aware of the idea last week but I would be very supportive of the Barrowland being preserved,” he said. “The sign is a major landmark for Glasgow and of the Scottish music scene, and although we haven’t looked at what the up or downsides would be to the place getting listed status, I would be delighted if it could be preserved.”

Despite the bid to secure listed status, there are no plans for the venue to be put up for sale, even though there is intense interest in the east end of Glasgow as a development zone.

“We have acts booked for a long time to come,” Joyes said. “There is nothing at all to suggest that the Barrowland would change owner.”

A spokeswoman for Historic Scotland confirmed that one of their inspectors is to meet Pert and will begin examining whether the Barrowland could be listed in the near future.

The venue was the crowning glory of the east end of Glasgow when it was opened as a dancehall for market traders by Maggie McIver on Christmas Eve 1934. After her death in 1958 the hall was razed in a massive fire but reopened in 1960, with the famous neon signage erected around 1982.

Aside from its iconic frontage, the Barrowland is also renowned for its high-voltage gigs, and is noted as one of the best venues in Europe. Bands such as Franz Ferdinand, Manic Street Preachers and Idlewild all count the venue among their favourite places to play, for its acoustic balance and capacity crowds. Among the many world-famous artists to have played there are REM, U2, Blur, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Sheryl Crow and Marilyn Manson.

Mark Baines, of the Glasgow School of Art’s architecture department, said that the idea of Historic Scotland granting listed status was not far-fetched.

“I know from personal involvement that a number of initiatives have been considered for that part of Glasgow, but the preservation of the Barrowland as a public building is vital.

“Its façade is an iconic Glasgow image, and although it is somewhat faded now it is still not really that bad. Some might say gaudy, others exciting, but as an institution it holds a huge amount of memories for the people of Glasgow.”

The Barrowland announced last week that it is to reopen a stage downstairs in the venue, with a capacity of 350, to showcase new bands and support rising music talent.

The owner of the Barrowland, Victor Cairns, grandson of the original owner, was unavailable for comment.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:32 am

This should definately happen.

I mean it even makes the Gallowgate look good!

By the way has anyway walked down that way about dusk time? Rats everywhere! Seriously you could stop look around you and count 7, 8 or 9 at any one time.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:51 pm

The famous neon sign :)

http://atastudio.com/thebarrascentre.html

Still on the Baras revamping,

The Barras Centre, Glasgow
more information
15 metre diameter pink arches cover a once- barren courtyard within an 1980’s development. The new arches formed in single pieces of curved high tensile steel provide the primary structure for a transparent polycarbonate roof covering. The intermediate layer of timber beams supporting the roof covering creates a pergola effect over the courtyard. Inside, the courtyard extends the life of the building into the spring and winter as well as providing shelter on wet days and offers a number of flexible configurations as a venue for concerts, functions and cafe. Pink flourescent tubes which are powder coated to match the arches add a sparkle and vitality to the area and refer to the well- known Barras ‘gateway arches’. A second phase of work is proposed to remove two market units and will open the courtyard onto the road.

Client: The Barras Centre Limited

Budget: £250k

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:38 pm

That neon costs £8.50 an hour to run... the switch to which is located just behind my stall
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:09 pm

KonstantinL wrote:By the way has anyway walked down that way about dusk time? Rats everywhere! Seriously you could stop look around you and count 7, 8 or 9 at any one time.

I live round there. Never once saw a rat. Were you playing a wee flute at the time?
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Monument wrote:
KonstantinL wrote:By the way has anyway walked down that way about dusk time? Rats everywhere! Seriously you could stop look around you and count 7, 8 or 9 at any one time.

I live round there. Never once saw a rat. Were you playing a wee flute at the time?

In that neck of the woods? Are ye mad :?: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:14 pm

Barrowland Ballroom, 1981.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Its an iconic sign, lets try and keep it there and as it is.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:33 pm

tobester wrote:Its an iconic sign, lets try and keep it there and as it is.

It's the McIvers mob you want to speak to then... there alot of internal debate amoungst the owners as to what will become of the place
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:02 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:20 am

I've got a copy of that article, I'll scan it in and post.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:17 am

Evening Times

Clare in Barras TV sitcom

SCOTS actress and singer Clare Grogan is to star in a new sitcom about the Barras market in Glasgow.

The 44-year-old, who shot to fame in cult Scottish film Gregory's Girl, is one of the main characters in the BBC comedy, called Legit
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:55 am

Mori wrote:Evening Times

Clare in Barras TV sitcom

SCOTS actress and singer Clare Grogan is to star in a new sitcom about the Barras market in Glasgow.

The 44-year-old, who shot to fame in cult Scottish film Gregory's Girl, is one of the main characters in the BBC comedy, called Legit

I thought she'd done us all a favour and given up acting. How does she manage to get work?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:14 pm

I thought she'd done us all a favour and given up acting. How does she manage to get work?

Ha Ha i've no idea.. but there you go, its not what you know its who you know... i personaly know several good actresses who went for that part and never got it.

Meanwhile back on the sign listing.

Nord have been researching the case of the sign for a while now.

NORD have started a campaign following discussions with Historic Scotland to list the frontage of the world famous Barrowland Ballroom. The Barrowland is an iconic part both of the culture and history of Glasgow, the neon sign being a landmark for the Scottish music scene and the city.
Glasgow has already lost several great venues, including the Apollo and it would be another sad loss to the city if the Barrowland were ever lost.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:30 pm

Scans of said article

My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects