Motherwell

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Knight of the Thistle » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:00 pm

Sorry not to up to speed with posting pics onto this site. If someone could pm me this would be most helpful. I hear DRS are eyeing up the site :D hope they get the hell out of Carlisle some time soon!
Knight of the Thistle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:12 pm

Useful wee thread here with advice on posting pics.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... php?t=1832
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Knight of the Thistle » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:10 am

Got a look arround the Depot last night with a mate to see the Network Rail 101 and when talking to one of the fitters he said that EWS plan to close it down when the last of the fuel is used up and theirs only about 4 tanks worth of diesle left Good Bye Motherwell TMD!!! :(
Take back the streets!
Knight of the Thistle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby StevenJ » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:43 pm

kn0wledge wrote:The Dalzell Steelworks is not disused. I understand that it will be closing within the next two years, though.

two years on and more since that quote, and Dalzell is still open. From what I understand, there is a good few years left there. They have just spent a sizable sum upgrading the internal rail network for the incomming steel trains from Corus Tyneside.
StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby StevenJ » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:50 pm

Knight of the Thistle wrote:Got a look arround the Depot last night with a mate to see the Network Rail 101 and when talking to one of the fitters he said that EWS plan to close it down when the last of the fuel is used up and theirs only about 4 tanks worth of diesle left Good Bye Motherwell TMD!!! :(

that's all well and good, but the fuel point at Mossend isn't commissioned yet - or it certainly wasn'l last week. Only when that has been commissioned, can Motherwell close.

I would imagine that there are a number of businesses, rail and otherwise interested in the site. The current state of play is that the site is EWS freehold - so they can literally sell to the highest bidder, rail or not.
StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Craig » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:27 pm

StevenJ wrote:
Knight of the Thistle wrote:Got a look arround the Depot last night with a mate to see the Network Rail 101 and when talking to one of the fitters he said that EWS plan to close it down when the last of the fuel is used up and theirs only about 4 tanks worth of diesle left Good Bye Motherwell TMD!!! :(

that's all well and good, but the fuel point at Mossend isn't commissioned yet - or it certainly wasn'l last week. Only when that has been commissioned, can Motherwell close.

I would imagine that there are a number of businesses, rail and otherwise interested in the site. The current state of play is that the site is EWS freehold - so they can literally sell to the highest bidder, rail or not.

I work for Network Rail at Motherwell and believe the site is wholly owned by Network Rail, as far as I know EWS have the site on a lease.

We've recently spent a fair bit upgrading the former traincrew block to turn it into our maintenance department depot.

I know for a fact there are others looking at the site, I had a good look around last week when we had the Royal Train stabled there, took loads of pics too as I'm building a model depot just now and they'll help me get some of the finer details right!

Craig
Craig
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby StevenJ » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:50 pm

Craig wrote:I work for Network Rail at Motherwell and believe the site is wholly owned by Network Rail, as far as I know EWS have the site on a lease.

We've recently spent a fair bit upgrading the former traincrew block to turn it into our maintenance department depot.

Craig

Wrong, kind of. The EWS site is owned by EWS. NR lease the land where the mtce are based. I think that is a 25 year lease - but it does not stop EWS selling the remainder of the land, or indeed, terminating the lease with NR where the mtce staff are based.
StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby joemuldoon » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:42 pm

Hi

A big new Tesco is being built in Carfin...... this together with turning the one way system back to 2 way and re-routing the traffic flow, coul really be the end for Motherwell precinct........ its a bit of a ghost town already.

The Heritage centre is pretty good though.
joemuldoon
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alan L » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:02 pm

Jings!

I've not been onlie for a while, but having recently left Hamilton to return to Glasgow (thank fuck!!), this thread's been a good read.

I agree with a lot of what's been said about the various towns of Lanarkshire. I'm from Coatbridge, which gives Motherwell a run for it's money as the ugliest town centre in Scotland. For all that, Coatbridge is much better for a night out then anywhere else in the county.

I always used to think of Hamilton as "posh", but 6 months of living there shattered that illusion. There are some nice streets in the town centre, but the place is infested with scum of the highest order. It's bacame noticbly worse sice I was at college there 10 years ago.

Despite all this, I'll defend Lanarkshire to the hilt when anyone has a go. Yep, it's a shithole, but it's where I'm from. :)
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

type set with Letraset

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:32 pm

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Motherwell

Postby Haggis » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:51 pm

My mates a Greater weegie from Wishaw.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Knight of the Thistle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:24 am

First of all hello to everyone again! Naw been on the site in a wee while. EWS no longer use Motherwell TMD for day to day operations :( but at the moment it still sees use for the occasional charter train stabbling like on tuseday night for the North Britain charter, But as far as I know no EWS staff are based there any more with everyone moved up to Mossend but a few locos (including the most hellfire 37427! :P ) remain stored @ 66B as there has been a big clear out recently, dont know about Network Rail operations as Craig had said they were using it?
(Btw are you the Craig Watson from the sco-rail site?)

Cheers Chris.
(Good to be back! :D )
Take back the streets!
Knight of the Thistle
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby StevenJ » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:48 am

in the future, Network Rail might be wanting to stable the larger track machines there, e.g. the rail grinders, but I'm not sure if any agreement has been reached.

as for the kettles, here's one from tuesday (taken with permission)

StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Craig » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:01 pm

Knight of the Thistle wrote:First of all hello to everyone again! Naw been on the site in a wee while. EWS no longer use Motherwell TMD for day to day operations :( but at the moment it still sees use for the occasional charter train stabbling like on tuseday night for the North Britain charter, But as far as I know no EWS staff are based there any more with everyone moved up to Mossend but a few locos (including the most hellfire 37427! :P ) remain stored @ 66B as there has been a big clear out recently, dont know about Network Rail operations as Craig had said they were using it?
(Btw are you the Craig Watson from the sco-rail site?)

Cheers Chris.
(Good to be back! :D )

That's me!

We (Network Rail) are still on site 24-7, we also have some rail vehicles (our two snowblowers) inside the depot buildings.

I'm not based there though, I'm up at Crosshill Street next to the signalling centre.

Cheers
Craig
Craig
First Stripe
First Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)