New Transport Museum at Riverside

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby AlanM » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:14 am

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Glasgow Uni had first refusal on the Kelvin Hall as it had put a lot of the money into the sports arena when it was developed.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:43 am

The Scotsman, 3 May 2001 wrote:Sporting legends fade into history as Kelvin Hall arena faces sell-off.

...But now this theatre of dreams is likely to be sold off to make way for an upmarket housing development. The city council is investigating the sale of the Kelvin Hall as part of a £30 million scheme to relocate its Museum of Transport to the Clydeside. A working group is examining the project and what can be done with the Kelvin Hall site once the museum has gone. It is understood that selling it for high-value housing has already emerged as the most viable option. The four-acre site is estimated to be worth about £10 million and money from the sale would be used to fund the new transport museum...

...Alan Baxter of the estate agent Slater Hogg and Howison, said: "If Kelvin Hall came up it would certainly interest developers, because the area is the strongest housing market in Glasgow."

Alex, can you tell us categorically that this is no longer the plan?
Last edited by red_kola on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:27 pm

red_kola wrote:
The Scotsman, 3 May 2001 wrote:...But now this theatre of dreams is likely to be sold off to make way for an upmarket housing development. The city council is investigating the sale of the Kelvin Hall as part of a £30 million scheme to relocate its Museum of Transport to the Clydeside. A working group is examining the project and what can be done with the Kelvin Hall site once the museum has gone. It is understood that selling it for high-value housing has already emerged as the most viable option. The four-acre site is estimated to be worth about £10 million and money from the sale would be used to fund the new transport museum...

...Alan Baxter of the estate agent Slater Hogg and Howison, said: "If Kelvin Hall came up it would certainly interest developers, because the area is the strongest housing market in Glasgow."

Alex, can you tell us categorically that this is no longer the plan?

No RK I can't categorically tell you that this is no longer the case. I don't know what the current status of Kelvin Hall is. That is why I said I would try and find out. Given it is the Glasgow Fair and it was just last night that I gave that commitment please allow me some time to find out. I am not saying it is not true just that I don't know what will happen to the Kelvin Hall given the plans to relocate the Transport Museum.

I will try to find out as soon as possible but it may be a few days before I am able to provide any information.

Sorry RK
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:45 pm

Thanks Alex. I wasn't expecting an immediate response, honest :D
I posted the above article as I think it's important to remind people of the background to this project and particularly, that the sale of the Kelvin Hall and the building off the new Transport Museum were, at the outset, inextricably linked. Hopefully this is not still the case.
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:54 pm

RK

I have to be honest and say that it is still possible. I know that we are trying to generate money for many future activities including the cost of capital projects like the Transport Museum and the replacement of many of our primary schools not forgetting the possibility of hosting the Commonwealth Games in 2014.

I beleive that there may be a view that the Kelvin Hall has served its purpose and no longer has much to offer. As Crusty pointed out it could be that the best we could hope for is a facade retention.

There may very well be an argument that we should not loose such an iconic building but this may have to be weighed against the possibility of getting more from the site than is currently offered.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dave2 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:20 pm

But the public amenity value of the site is surely much higher than that which would be achieved trough selling it. The cost of building anew sports centre (ignoring the arena area) is immense, especially in the west end where land is at a premium. An alternative, which wold see the building retained would be to arrange some kind of land swap with the University which would see them move the departments currently based in 'houses' at Hillhead into the KelvinHall building, and thus those 'houses' could be returned to housing stock.

The University would not need the full building, and thus the sports halls and climbing wall could be retained.
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:37 am

More controversy.....

Lockerbie plane exhibit planned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/sou ... 897600.stm
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:09 pm

I'm sorry, but if the majority of the victims families don't have a problem with it, then neither do I.
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:23 am

Some pictures of preliminary construction work on the Transport Museum project, taken from the Govan side.

viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Selling off the silver

Postby scoused will » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:09 pm

Ah

Kelvin Hall.

Ricky Ross was right
(you've got to imagine this now fades into Christmas in Glasgow)

:cry:
"...I fail to see what sort of discussion or reaction you are trying to initiate..."
scoused will
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Squigster » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:31 pm

Museum site in distance ( taken from footbridge over expressway @ SECC)

Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:37 pm

I like that shot ^
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Squigster » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:39 pm

Cheers Foss
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Squigster » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:46 pm

Similar shot as above from Nov `05

Nov `06

My apologies mods if this would be more appropriate on the past present thread

Squigster
Squigster
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

£5m Museum appeal

Postby red_kola » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:46 am

From today's Times:
£5m Museum appeal

A HUGE appeal is to be launched to raise £5million towards the total cost of Glasgow's new Riverside Museum.Glasgow City Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund have provided £69m of the £74m bill for replacing the outdated Museum of Transport in the West End.

Now businesses and local people are to be asked to fund the balance with organisers hoping they'll come up trumps again just like they did for the world-famous Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.

Article Continues...
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)