Quick Hide The Telly!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Quick Hide The Telly!

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:20 am

ET

Telly licence snoops unveil secret weapon

TV LICENSING bosses today unveiled their latest weapon against licence cheats - a hand-held detector.

The new hi-tech device aims to further curb licence fee evasion and will be used to target licence evaders Scotland-wide.

The battery-operated gadget will be used in Glasgow alongside existing detector vans and TV Licensing's database of more than 28million addresses.

They will be used when targeting addresses which have not paid the £135.50 for a colour TV licence and who have persistently ignored previous contact from TV Licensing.

advertisementThe tiny detectors, which can find a TV signal in 20 seconds, work on the same principal as a detector van and give officers better flexibilty when tracking fee-dodgers.

Lisa Mennie, TV Licensing spokeswoman for Scotland said: "The new handheld devices will enhance an already effective enforcement operation."
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:24 am

Propeganda!

They've had them for years. The article is just there to try scare people into getting a licence
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby b7ryn » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:00 pm

Agreed. Complete propaganda. If someone could explain the physics behind how they work out who has a telly on and who hasn't (esp. in a shared flat block.!!) I'll be amazed.
chum laugh
b7ryn
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:00 pm

I'll be expecting them shortly. ::):
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:28 pm

Tinfoil oot ::):
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:37 pm

McShad wrote:Propeganda!

Shite! I'm away doon tae get it back....................................
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:34 pm

Looks a right Schnider from Asda
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Image

In a Paisley transport hub? Was it dropped off by a couple of blokes in a Jeep?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:41 pm

When me and the TV License people used to write letters to each other they informed me I didn't need to pay a license if I had a telly - as long as the bit inside which receives a signal was removed. They also said if you had no telly, but did have a DVD recorder you had to pay-up. These people are shocked to the core when they meet people who don't have a telly. That someone is not a prisoner of telly is beyond their understanding. They don't know what to say, so they spout crud like 'OK, i'll give you a six-month reprieve. We'll come back in six months and I hope you have the license.' They have an approach which is zealot-like.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby krakow » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:18 pm

I haven't had a TV for seven years, but I still get regularly hounded by them via presumptive and antagonistically accusatory letters every month or so. I'm absolutely gagging for them to finally come round here, like they've been promising for so long, so that I can finally get my revenge...
Crimson Glow Photography: http://www.crimsonglow.co.uk/
krakow
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cybers » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:39 am

Well if its revenge you want then pray they come before May next year.
After all when they finally get round to banding the Computer in with your TV licence then your stuffed.
They seem to have finally figured out that there is more digital media kicking around than the beebs tired old reruns of not even the good stuff that they have made.
If cheese gets mouldy you throw it out...
Why buy it mouldy in the first place ?
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:56 am

And what would be the easiest way of imposing this new tax? Well get your ISP to collect an extra £15 a month on top of your broadband charges and watch your mobile phone bill jump up by a similar amount. Pay up like a good little docile rabbit for the BBC. You know it makes sense to keep them in £3 billion (yes BILLION) a year for kwality programmes like Animal Hospital Live and it keeps Jonathan Ross out of the dole queue and in sharp suits.

From http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 417851.ece

Computer tax set to replace TV licence fee By Adam Sherwin and Dan Sabbagh

THE BBC licence fee should be replaced by a tax on the ownership of a personal computer instead of a television, ministers said yesterday. Tessa Jowell told the BBC that the licence fee would be retained for at least another ten years until 2017 in return for abolishing the Board of Governors. But the Culture Secretary conceded that technological advances would mean that a fee based on “television ownership could become redundant”. More than six million households have access to high-speed broadband connections and the BBC has begun experimenting with broadcasting video clips over the internet.

A legal loophole highlighted by the communications regulator Ofcom means that viewers could watch television and listen to radio over the internet and mobile devices free, potentially costing the BBC millions of pounds in licence fees.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport’s Green Paper setting out the BBC’s long-term future proposed a solution that could end the traditional fee.The paper suggested “either a compulsory levy on all households or even on ownership of PCs as well as TVs”. It said that technology might render it difficult to collect and enforce the fee.
Related Links

Officially, the Government says that changes would not be needed until 2017, when the next BBC royal charter expires. A spokeswoman for the Department for Culture said that it was not worried for now, but insiders said that the department would act if internet viewing took off.

Over the next few years, internet broadcasting is set to increase rapidly as the quality of the images improves. The BBC already broadcasts all its radio stations over the internet, and began broadcasting live coverage of the Olympic Games last summer. The BBC has promised further internet broadcasts and is launching a hand-held viewing device. Ofcom predicts that more than half of Britain’s households will be watching television over the internet by 2012. Other emerging technologies will allow television to be broadcast direct to mobile phones. The mobile phone company O2 is planning trials this year, with the aim of a commercial service by 2007. The publication of the paper was accompanied by a warning from Ms Jowell, who said that the BBC must give higher priority to public-interest programming, and not chase “ratings for rating’s sake”. The BBC welcomed the reforms, which were widely interpreted as a victory for the Chairman Michael Grade, who said that he was “happy to sign up”, but was “slightly regretful” that the governors would be split in two.

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/03/pc_tax/

Digital Britain 'greatest ever challenge' for BBC, says minister By John Leyden

The BBC licence fee could eventually be replaced by a tax on having a PC instead of owning a TV, according to a Green Paper delivered this week. The government plans to retain the license fee for at least ten years but ministers are looking ahead to a time when high-speed broadband connections routinely deliver digital television channels to the nation's homes. In that event a fee based on television ownership could become redundant and the government could look at other ways to raise revenue, from subscriptions to taxing other access devices.

In a statement to Parliament this week, Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell said that "the changes in TV technology that will soon result in a wholly digital Britain... perhaps the greatest challenge the BBC has ever faced." The Times reports that a legal loophole means consumers could watch television or listen to radio over the net without having to pay a license fee, leaving the BBC with a funding shortfall that could run into the millions.

A Department for Culture, Media and Sport Green Paper on the BBC's long-term future proposes an end of the traditional license fee and "either a compulsory levy on all households or even on ownership of PCs as well as TVs". It cautions that these fees might be tough to enforce. Ministers are also consulting about the possibility of introducing a subscription model.

The Government reckons changes to the license fee will not be needed until 2017, when the BBC's next royal charter expires. However unnamed sources at the Department for Culture told The Times that the government would act earlier if viewing TV on the net became a hit with consumers. In August 2004, the BBC broadcast video clips from the Olympic Games over the net as an experiment. Six million UK homes currently have broadband connections, a figure that can only grow over time, spurring demand for innovative service like broadcasting over the internet. The majority of UK households will be watching TV over the internet by 2012, regulator Ofcom predicts.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby krakow » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:12 am

I wouldn't want to watch TV on my computer either - the internet is full of enough more than enough time-wasting opportunities as it is.
Crimson Glow Photography: http://www.crimsonglow.co.uk/
krakow
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:48 am

Auntie can go take flying fuk to itslef. :evil:

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:03 pm

james73 wrote:Auntie can go take flying fuk to itslef. :evil:

James H

agreed.

i wonder if it has occured to the tv license people that sending a letter to someone who doesnt own a telly (me) informing them (me) that i am 'despite repeated warnings' continuing to break the law isnt the best way of getting me to phone them up and arrange a visit to PROVE i dont have a frigging telly.

I dont have a car either, but i dont have to call the road tax people to prove it to them, nor do i own a gun (wish i did though ;)) yet i still dont need to prove to them that is the case

arseholes
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions