Glasgow's Cycling Heritage

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby allyharp » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:50 am

Anyone here into mountain biking or is this a strictly roadies only thread?
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Osiris » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:28 am

I'm into mountain biking – XC and Freeride mainly, only use the roads to get to local trails (Cathkin Braes, Pollok Park).

Scotland not only has some excellent natural Mountain biking trails (as you would expect), it also has some of the best man-made mountain bike centres in Europe (World?).

:D
Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:02 pm

I'm the same - only use the roads to get too the off-road.
I'm a lonely rider though so tend to stick close to home - Mugdock, the West Highland Way and roundabout. What are the Cathkin Braes and Pollock like? Wondering if it'd be worth my while going to take a look.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Osiris » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:10 pm

Hi allyharp,

theres not a great deal up at Cathkin Braes, just some shared paths (i only go up there for the climb and the view). There are some built trails at Pollok that are worth a look, not exactly extensive but there are some nice features (logs, jumps and some nice rootsy stuff).

Have you been to Carron Valley yet? Well worth a visit as an alternative to Glentress (and closer to Glasgow).

Cheers, Jason
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:40 pm

I've not been to any trail centres yet. I don't drive so many of them are unreachable and I don't know anyone else who rides and travelling a far distance alone doesn't appeal too much.

I've been planning on checking out Pollock for a while now and also once I've got a bit more fitness I think I'll head up for a look around the Kilpatrick hills.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Arthur Campbell Obituary

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:21 am

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Arthur Campbell Obituary

Postby Dugald » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:38 am

Dexter, thanks for posting Arthur Campbell's obituary; I found it very interesting. I first met the man during the war on the Edinburgh road (I was simply a young boy riding at the back of the club, not actually with Arthur), when he was active with the Glasgow Wheelers, and a pal of Alex Hendrie, the then current Scttish Champion. I never ever met up with him again, and can hardly claim to have been any more acquainted with him than simply as a fellow cyclist. Back in his early days he was the spittin' image of Danny Kaye, the comedian...handsome pointed features, blonde hair.

The obituary is very kind to Arthur. He did ride in the fist "Brighton to Glasgow" BLRC road race, but I didn't know that he had actually finished it. His call to fame was his linguistic ability and aptitude for organising, but bringing the continental cycling giants, Eddie Merkx and Gino Bartali to the Glasgow Wheelers' Presentations, were no small achievements either.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Osiris wrote:Hi allyharp,

theres not a great deal up at Cathkin Braes, just some shared paths (i only go up there for the climb and the view). There are some built trails at Pollok that are worth a look, not exactly extensive but there are some nice features (logs, jumps and some nice rootsy stuff).

Have you been to Carron Valley yet? Well worth a visit as an alternative to Glentress (and closer to Glasgow).

Cheers, Jason

Jason, took a wee run over to Pollock Park from Partick today after reading your post, and partly to see how route 7 got through Kinning Park.
I had a great laugh in the trails as my bike is now set up for canal tow paths with semi slicks :D , and there are quite a few mud holes. I'll definitely be back.
Carron Valley looks good but as I was on a motorised trail bike I didn't linger :?
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Osiris » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:28 pm

For anyone thats interested, these guys http://www.bikebus.net/ are doing a free uplift from Glasgow to the Carron Valley bike trails on the 22nd July.

J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:42 pm

New Scottish record set on the Westferry course last night if anyone's interested. Jason MacIntyre done 10miles in 18m49s. The previous record was held by a certain Mr. Obree in 19m29s.

BB
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:12 pm

Blueboy wrote:New Scottish record set on the Westferry course last night if anyone's interested. Jason MacIntyre done 10miles in 18m49s. The previous record was held by a certain Mr. Obree in 19m29s.
BB

A terrfic and unbelievable, speed at which to push a bicycle for 10 miles. How do they manage to go as fast as this! (The club record back in my Scottish cycling days was about 24:26!)
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:33 pm

"Floyd Landis has lost his appeal against a ban imposed after he failed a drugs test at the 2006 Tour de France. "

He has also been stripped of his 2006 Tour de France win. That's Landis out of competition until 2009. He'll be a bit over the hill then to get back into shape for international racing.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:00 pm

Silly fud.

"Floyd went off like a motorbike, unbelievable," Australian racer Michael Rogers told Cyclingnews.com. " He was doing 40 kilometers an hour (25 mph) uphill."
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Blueboy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Dugald wrote:
Blueboy wrote:New Scottish record set on the Westferry course last night if anyone's interested. Jason MacIntyre done 10miles in 18m49s. The previous record was held by a certain Mr. Obree in 19m29s.
BB

A terrfic and unbelievable, speed at which to push a bicycle for 10 miles. How do they manage to go as fast as this! (The club record back in my Scottish cycling days was about 24:26!)

Dugald, it was indeed an incredible ride. Jason looked pretty shattered afterwards though. Technology definitely has a part to play in today's fast times. The best time trialist in history in my opinion was the late Jacques Anquetil. No low profile bike, disc wheels or funny helmets - just smooth, efficient pedalling and shattering power.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow's Cycling Heritage

Postby Blueboy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 am

Sadly, I have to report the tragic death of Jason MacIntyre who was involved in a collision with a van while training on the A82 near his home in Fort William. A familiar face to most of us in the Glasgow clubs, he leaves a wife and 2 daughters. Kind thoughts to his family and friends.
Blueboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)