Motherwell

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby tip2tail » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:06 am

Cyclo2000 wrote:Coatbridge, Wishaw, Motherwell, Hamilton...
All these Lanarkshire towns have in common that their councils have blown up, demolished or concreted over anything that their towns ever had to offer the visitor or the architectural enthusiast.

When I lived in Hamilton I once looked it up in a Scottish guide book and it said
"A rare example of an attractive industrial town"
I'll bet it disnae say that any longer.

Now Now! Hamilton is getting better - I mean the council are knocking down Whitehill for F**k Sake!

And the eysore of a New Cross "Shopping" Centre is getting cleaned up witha nice new extension.

Shame they are closing Earnock High School though. Thats my old school. We had a massive campaign and - shock horror - it had no effect. The council, MSPs and the execuative themselves stabbed us all in the back!
Mark Young
http://www.tip2tail.co.uk || [email protected]
tip2tail
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:57 am

The New Cross shopping centre was a disaster for Hamilton, replacing as it did the top end of Campbell street and doing away with the pend thru from Glass's fruit shop to Quarry Street. It used to be quite lovely when I was a wee boy.

I noticed on a recent visit to the town that the ABC cinema at the bottom of the town is still resisting demolition. It's the big ugly building with the
"Home In On Hamilton" motifon the side that was so disasterous for the town in the late 80s.
It shows a bunch of pigeons symbolically shitting all over the town. What were they thinking?

Anyways, the old ABC was in it's day the most oppulent cinema for miles. I went there in 1975 (I think, but the film would date it) to see Jaws, and I'm sure it closed not long after that....it would be a hell of a place to get into, I would think...anyone got a crow bar?
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tip2tail » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:04 pm

Yeah! I know what you mean about the New Cross. At least the small "Quarry Place" where Glasses fruits is now is going to be covered in to resemble somethin glike the Regent Shopping Centre.

The old ABC is apparently being held onto by its owner. He wants millions in compulsory purchase money so they can extend the afore mentioned Regent down to the Motherwell Road roundabout in the Keith Street Car Park accross from the Palace.

Someone really should just accidentally drive an 18wheeler through it. oopps - knocked down for safty reasons :wink:

Mind you! I wouldnt want to be anywhere near it when they do knock it down. Closed for that long the rats will be the size of cats and run right over the town centre. Just like they did when the incinerator was closed in Hillhouse (just down from where I stay).
Mark Young
http://www.tip2tail.co.uk || [email protected]
tip2tail
First Stripe
First Stripe

The hillhouse incinerator

Postby Bonz » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:32 pm

tip2tail wrote:Mind you! I wouldnt want to be anywhere near it when they do knock it down. Closed for that long the rats will be the size of cats and run right over the town centre. Just like they did when the incinerator was closed in Hillhouse (just down from where I stay).

I remember the old incinerator well. I used to work part time in Lynas Carpets in Burnbank and every feckin week we would take van loads aw crap up to the incinerator. There was always a squad of orange boilersuited cooncil workmen who would swoop on the debris pickin out all the old bikes, tellys etc. You could even hear the rats squealin'!!!

Quality stuff!
Bonz
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:52 pm

When I lived in Hamilton we used to see the sky light up when they opened the blast furnaces over at the 'Craig...just you guys talking 'bout the Hillhouse dump that reminded me.

We used go up to Hillhouse tip with stuff too. Never mind the rats the workies used to swarm over you to get to yer stuff!
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:02 pm

There's more fun in the Ukraine than most of North Lanarkshire. The entire county is a total dump.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bonz » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:49 pm

I remember the bright lights of the 'craig well. It was a pretty awsome sight!

Possibly the only thing that was ever bright about Motherwell......... :twisted: (sayin that, coming from Blantyre I have a cheek to slag off anywhere!)

Has anybody ever driven through Grangemouth at night when they are burning off the excess gasses as the refinery? It's wild!
Bonz
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:49 pm

Bonz wrote:I remember the bright lights of the 'craig well. It was a pretty awsome sight!

Possibly the only thing that was ever bright about Motherwell......... :twisted: (sayin that, coming from Blantyre I have a cheek to slag off anywhere!)

Has anybody ever driven through Grangemouth at night when they are burning off the excess gasses as the refinery? It's wild!

Faces was mentioned earlier. Since your from Blantyre you can tell me all about Caspers! I've seen it going through Blantyre in the bus. Looks like it shut down ages ago. It also looks like it was a total dive!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:58 pm

Casper’s be closed for a good while.
That also if I remember correctly succumbed to fire.........

-F-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Cyclo2000 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:59 am

Caspers was formerly called Rascals and along with Zeigfields across the road (previously Hasties Farm) was for many years the premier nightspot Lanarkshire wise, with the possible exception of the Club De France (now the Viking) in Coatbridge. And no, I'm not making this up.

Caspers was burned out at some time in the early 90s (I think) and has been empty since. Zeigfields was knocked down a few years back. Older folks may remember it better as Hasties Farm cos that was written on the end wall of it in 6 foot high letters for years.

These places were popular cos Hamilton's other nighteries had got a bit shabby by the early-mid 80s. There were then two discos in the town. Circles (latterly Park Lane, formely the 3 Js [Jinky Jimmy Johnsons in fact] and now demolished) and the Accies Social Club (on the site of what is now Hamilton Palace. The Accies was a gas. It was run by Muslims and it wasn't uncommon to see a bloke with a beard like an ironing board looking like a refugee from the Mujahadeen rifling bags and pockets for blades. Circles had been briefly stylish in a coffee creme, purple velour kind of way. It had a cocktail bar and a piano bar, which was unheard of then. For those who are gonna pick me up on this, Cruise (later Rococco and previously George Loyds Motorbike shop) hadn't opened yet.

(PS anyone remember when what is now Hardys Bar in Hamilton was George Loyds Moped World?)

Apart from Rascals (which was more of a pub than a club, really) we all used to go to Sands in Auchingramont Rd., which had a hotel license so could stay open till 12. When that got a bit old, we started to go to Jilts.
Now, Jilts was formerly the Cage and was owned by Skelton. Someone should start a forum just about Skelton's Hamilton pubs, they were bizarre in the true sense of the word and by all accounts so was he.

Me and what nowadays would doubtless be refered to as "my posse" (hereafter known as "the boys") used to hang about in these places, back in the day.

BTW there is a Chinese restaurant in Coatbridge called Bon Appetite!
Makes me smile every time I see it.
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:57 pm

I intended to take some photos around Motherwell but it's absolutely teeming down so I didn't stray far from home.

This one should have gone in the 'Ned Graffiti' thread but I couldn't find it so here it is...

No Motherwell thread would be complete without a photo of Glencairn Tower or 'Heroin Heights' as it's known locally. Now this isn't an official statistic but I reckon that your about 1037% more likely to fall off your balcony or down a lift shaft if you live here than anywhere else in the country!

No...this is the posh part of Motherwell. Honest!

Motherwell - where shopping trolleys come to die.

I live here....I must have been bad in a previous life.

Admin Edit Feb 2005 Pictures Missing
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:01 pm

Speaking of Motherwell:

Check out what happens when you call for a lift in Motherwell College...

Admin Edit Feb 2005 Pictures Missing
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trudger » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:40 pm

a a a
Last edited by trudger on Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:41 am

dazzababes wrote:I thought nowadays on t'interweb, sarcasm was denoted with a * after the sentence?

You thought wrong.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:30 pm

Wasn't sure where to put these - bus related, but in Motherwell...

These are the remains of the Motherwell depot.

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)