Sailing Doon the Clyde.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby TC1 » Wed May 30, 2007 2:27 pm

Here's the Waverley, head on
Last edited by TC1 on Wed May 30, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby TC1 » Wed May 30, 2007 2:30 pm

And side on, on the same day last August
Last edited by TC1 on Wed May 30, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby TC1 » Wed May 30, 2007 2:35 pm

Maid of the Loch undergoing restoration at Balloch.

TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed May 30, 2007 2:37 pm

TC1 wrote:Here's the Waverley, head on

Great pic. Looks a bit like a Victorian battleship.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Wed May 30, 2007 2:41 pm

Not a photie but a Clyde paddler anyhoo;

The story of the "Champion" and another Clyde paddler the "Iona" here
http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=3457&sc=&ac=d&an=

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed May 30, 2007 8:58 pm

"Just re-read your post Dugald. That first picture was the T.S Queen Mary II. Here's is the Duchess of Hamilton; ".

PK, the mistake was mine, I thought the original picture you posted was the Duchess of Hamilton. I hadn't noticed it had only one mast, neither had I read the caption on the post card (it is a bit fuzzy on my screen). Probably what confused me was that I think now of the Queen Mary II as having only one squat funnel rather than the two funnels like the Duchess of Hamilton et al. Anyway, thank you for posting the real Duchess of Hamilton... not just as attractive as the Queen Mary II, but still a good-looking boat.

Clyde steamers called "Queen Mary" become a bit confusing: there was actually another "Queen Mary" that sailed on the Clyde and we called her the "Wee Queen Mary" because she had three funnels like her big Clydebank namesake, and looked a wee bit like the "real" Queen Mary. This one's real name was the Saint Columbo (not sure about this) and she sailed regularly to Ardrishaig.

Don't ever recall seeing, nor hearing about, the " Wimaisia ". Not a very nice looking boat at all, and while she may well have been a Clyde boat, she wouldn't I'm sure, have been classed as a Clyde "steamer"... ach, we'd never have given her room at the Broomielaw on a Fair Saturday! Thanks for the meaning of "TSMV", I had no idea what it meant.

Thanks for the web site; I'll have a look at it. Nice picture, but I'm happy to say the "Champion" was a wee bit before my time. Thanks again PK!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed May 30, 2007 9:11 pm

TC1 wrote:Here's the Waverley, head on

Thanks for posting the pictures TCI. As I mentioned previously, I was never a fan of the Waverley, and this "head on" view does little to change my impression of her... nothing "sleek" or "streamlined" about this vessel on the "head on" view. The raked funnels and masts on the "side on" view contribute somewhat to improving her appearance, and we see that there's no doubt she does have her own charm.

Good picture of the Maid of the Loch. I have seen her quite often, but I don't know if i ever sailed in her. Sailed one time from Inversnaid to Tarbet, but that was so long ago I've forgotten the name of the boat.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Wed May 30, 2007 9:22 pm

Dugald wrote:"Just re-read your post Dugald. That first picture was the T.S Queen Mary II. Here's is the Duchess of Hamilton; ".

PK, the mistake was mine, !

Do you wish to join the "Glass House Owners Against Stone Throwers Club" now, Dugald? :wink: ::):
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed May 30, 2007 9:23 pm

glasgowken wrote:
Great pic. Looks a bit like a Victorian battleship.

I have a fair measure of agreement with you on this "Victorian battleship" similarity Glasgoken: broad in the beam and cumbersome! Of course I suppose we have to bear in mind this is a property of paddle steamers in general, and not a criticism of the Waverley in particular.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed May 30, 2007 9:35 pm

Graham wrote:
Dugald wrote:"Just re-read your post Dugald. That first picture was the T.S Queen Mary II. Here's is the Duchess of Hamilton; ".
PK, the mistake was mine, !

Do you wish to join the "Glass House Owners Against Stone Throwers Club" now, Dugald? :wink: ::):

Let me think about this for a wee minute Graham. Let me see now, "People in Glass houses shouldn't throw stones", means if I don't wish to be criticised for example, then I shouldn't criticise. Okay, now let me extrapolate that a wee bit: If I don't want other people to make mistakes then I shouldn't make mistakes. Yes, you do have a point... well made too, I must say! I'll try harder, but geez, it's tough not to make mistakes .......

Yes Graham, I do wish to join this exalted club, and I thank you for the invitation!

!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Wed May 30, 2007 9:42 pm

Just yanking your chain Dugald :wink: Keeps you on your toes - just like when you do the same thing to me ::):
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peekay » Wed May 30, 2007 9:46 pm

I think it's a "Dreadnought" your all thinking of. They normally sat low because of the weight of the armament and extra coal needed. Later ships sat higher up, thus not giving themselves this profile, because they went onto being oil fired and lessened the weight.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed May 30, 2007 11:32 pm

Graham wrote:Just yanking your chain Dugald :wink: Keeps you on your toes - just like when you do the same thing to me ::):

Just yanking your chain Graham. Actually I thought I had made a mistake but it turned out it was a creative moment
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed May 30, 2007 11:42 pm

Peekay wrote:I think it's a "Dreadnought" your all thinking of. They normally sat low because of the weight of the armament and extra coal needed. Later ships sat higher up, thus not giving themselves this profile, because they went onto being oil fired and lessened the weight. PK

I see what you mean PK, and your "Dreadnought" reference makes sense. Picture though, the bulbous appearance of the hull in one of those early 19C pre-dreadnought ships-of-the line in a frontal view... is there not a slight resemblance to the frontal view of the Waverley?
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Wed May 30, 2007 11:57 pm

"whatever" as the Americans are prone to saying.

Anyway here's another interesting old boat, the Spartan,the last operating Clyde puffer in existence - currently rotting away, I mean being preserved at the Maritime Museum in Irvine

Sorry I didn't get any more pics but not being a "boat" person I didn't realise the significance of the old girl.

Here's some background stuff I found on the interweb though-

Victualling Inshore Craft

Dimensions: Length 66ft 9ins, breadth 18ft 5ins, depth 9ft 6ins.

Construction: Steel hull and deck, part pitch pine deck. Her steam engine was replaced by a Scania diesel in 1961.

"Spartan" was built in 1942 by J Hay & Sons of Kirkintilloch and launched into the Forth & Clyde canal; she was built for war service as VIC 18.

At the end of the war the VIC fleet was sold off, and Hay's the original builder bought back VIC18 and registered her as "Spartan" on the 24th September 1946, this was to join their fleet of puffers. Spartan was the third vessel of the Hays fleet to hold the name Spartan, Hay's had a tradition of naming their puffers after tribes other vessels owned by them carried the names Saxon, Celt, Briton, Trojan, Slav etc. Spartan was soon used to carry coal and general cargoes around the Firth of Clyde and as far as Mull, Iona and Islay.

Spartan ended her working career in 1980, when she was laid up at Bowling harbour.

Spartan can be seen at the Scottish Maritime Museum Irvine.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects