Anything still worth seeing out Renfrew way ?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Anything still worth seeing out Renfrew way ?

Postby glasgowken » Sat May 12, 2007 6:19 pm

Renfrew, Braehead, industrial areas, up to the Clyde. I don't know the area that well, but the shots on Google look interesting. Scrappies, old yards, and the like. Anything still worth seeing/exploring ? Or has the redevelopment swept it all away ?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Sat May 12, 2007 7:17 pm

In a word; Naw!
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Sat May 12, 2007 7:40 pm

I think the recently refurbished tower at Renfrew cross is quite nice

McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat May 12, 2007 7:41 pm

Unless you have a particular penchant for dog shit on the streets, then no. Even
all the old scrapyards down towards the river have all but gone.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Sat May 12, 2007 7:48 pm

Have you seen the India of Inchinnan factory. It is an Art Deco masterpiece. Wells Coates(of Perivale Hoover factory fame)had a hand in it.
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Renfrew

Postby MungoDundas » Sat May 12, 2007 8:34 pm

The Black Bull pub is good
(and looked nice until some marxist fool planted a bus shelter in front of it.. )
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Anything still worth seeing out Renfrew way ?

Postby Graham » Sat May 12, 2007 9:45 pm

glasgowken wrote:Renfrew, Braehead, industrial areas, up to the Clyde. I don't know the area that well, but the shots on Google look interesting. Scrappies, old yards, and the like. Anything still worth seeing/exploring ? Or has the redevelopment swept it all away ?

Could we get HH or Cheesy to go out and take me a nice pic from the middle of the old main runway of Renfrew Airport and I'll do a Past & Present ::): :twisted: ::):
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Sat May 12, 2007 10:30 pm

I live in the exact area of the old airport but I don't know the old layout of it, if someone could help I would get pics no bother.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Sat May 12, 2007 10:33 pm

cheesylion wrote:I live in the exact area of the old airport but I don't know the old layout of it, if someone could help I would get pics no bother.
You'd have to do it under the cover of darkness with no reflective clothing though... Still up for it?
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Sat May 12, 2007 10:34 pm

red_kola wrote:
cheesylion wrote:I live in the exact area of the old airport but I don't know the old layout of it, if someone could help I would get pics no bother.
You'd have to do it under the cover of darkness with no reflective clothing though... Still up for it?

It's okay....it's well lit up at night :twisted:
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Sat May 12, 2007 10:40 pm

red_kola wrote:

Why would I not be up for it? We are talking about the old Renfrew airport not the current Glasgow one are we not? There is a Tesco on or near the site now, hardly scary! :roll:
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Sat May 12, 2007 10:47 pm

cheesylion wrote:
red_kola wrote:

Why would I not be up for it? We are talking about the old Renfrew airport not the current Glasgow one are we not? There is a Tesco on or near the site now, hardly scary! :roll:

True the Tescos isn't very scary........However what was once the main runway at Renfrew Airport is now that long, totally straight, stretch of the M8 motorway just before the first Paisley exit if you are heading west.

If you want to go stand in the middle of that and take pictures I'll come and watch! ::):
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:58 pm

So will I...

I can get into the Westway complex. Dunno about getting anyone else in though... :?

If there's any interest I'll investigate further...

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Sat May 12, 2007 11:01 pm

What about the area around Christies Scrappy - is that still there or has it been redeveloped?
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Sat May 12, 2007 11:22 pm

Speaking of old airports...wasn't an old cemetery practically built over to make Glagsgow Airport's new runway? It was full of very old headstones, some of which were (I think) Knights Templars. Most of the headstones themselves were moved somewhere else but apparently there is still something to see in the vicinity. Of course you need special permission to go and have a look, or else you will get a helluva fright from the planes. ::):

The above information was gleaned from searches on the internet a while ago and is now a part of my foggy memory, but I am almost sure the cemetery was Inchinnan (old church was there too). I was researching it because my ggg grandmother was born there.

Nina
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)