Rothesay

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby e2wufos1 » Fri May 04, 2007 11:37 am

Is there anything to do in Rothesay this weekend as I fancy a day trip over this weekend.

Last time I went was last April 2006 and everything was closed so don't want to go over if nothings open.
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Otis » Fri May 04, 2007 12:26 pm

Bute Jazz Festival 3-7 May 2007
The Isle of Bute Jazz Festival began in 1988 and has been staged annually on the first weekend of May ever since - this year's event will be the 20th.
The first Festival was a small affair with only six bands, and the organisers held their breath to see if anyone would come to a small Scottish island with little tradition of jazz (although big dance bands certainly played regularly at Rothesay Pavilion in the 1950's and 60's). Happily enough fans turned up that first year to encourage another venture the following year, and the Festival has continued to grow in reputation and stature ever since. :wink:
Otis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby bluepeterno1 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:22 pm

thats allright you spouting about legislation , but try and tell that to the people who cannot get to there work on the mainland because of the weather . it did not stop the GLEN SANNOX to many times when it was on the rothesay run .

bluepeterno1
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bluepeterno1 » Fri May 04, 2007 6:34 pm

my last post was pointed at appolo,and when was it against the law to voice your opinnion,no matter if it is the E.U or not ,if these ferries are supposed to be progress then take us back to the sixties, maybe my cost of the ferries were wrong but that makes no difference to the fact that they are a pile of SH---.I stay on the island but according to you username you dont,what about all the times the train connection has to leave people at the station because they are running late .and the reason they are running late is that it takes them to long to dock ,its only a matter of time before somebody has a heart attack running up the pier for the train ,then we wil see the Sh-- hit the fan.
bluepeterno1
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Otis » Sun May 06, 2007 5:43 pm

For any of you sporty types or even spectators there is the Bute triathlon on the 13th of this month & plenty of good pubs to recover in after 8) :wink:
Otis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby bluepeterno1 » Sun May 06, 2007 6:38 pm

hi otis , what did you think of the jazz festival ,thought it was quite dissapointing myself. not as many visitors here this year.

luepeterno1
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Otis » Mon May 07, 2007 9:34 am

Havent really been to see much of it as my mother is visiting so we are doing the touristy stuff with her,thats when i can get her away from this computer & the HG site..
She saw the pics of the wally tiles & has been hooked on the site ever since,so much so she is joining when she gets back to Glasgow,parents eh??? :wink:
Otis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 07, 2007 10:23 am

Otis wrote:Havent really been to see much of it as my mother is visiting so we are doing the touristy stuff with her,thats when i can get her away from this computer & the HG site..
She saw the pics of the wally tiles & has been hooked on the site ever since,so much so she is joining when she gets back to Glasgow,parents eh??? :wink:

How is she on swearing? And have you contributed to Wid Ye

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2810&highlight=wid

Maybe you should steer her to http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Otis » Mon May 07, 2007 12:11 pm

No swearing doesnt bother her but i think i will be suggesting that she joins the forum you mentioned as there are some things you dont want your mother to see no matter what age you are & a posting on the Wid Ye topic falls into that category :oops: :wink: ..Havent posted on it yet but intend doing so :P
Otis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby bluepeterno1 » Sat May 19, 2007 4:46 pm

[quote="Apollo"]MV Bute has been in service since 2005.

Her sister, MV Argyle, left her Gdansk birthplace on Wednesday and is due to sail via the English Channel before arriving on the Clyde on Monday, ahead of her naming at, or near, Rothesay pier next Friday, April 27.

So much for the MV Argyle hardly in service for a month and already it has broken down twice,reported in daily record today, makes you wonder where all the money went for these ferries ,and also what to exoect in the future.

Bluepeterno1
bluepeterno1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:59 am

bluepeterno1 wrote:my last post was pointed at appolo,and when was it against the law to voice your opinnion,no matter if it is the E.U or not ,if these ferries are supposed to be progress then take us back to the sixties, maybe my cost of the ferries were wrong but that makes no difference to the fact that they are a pile of SH---.I stay on the island but according to you username you dont,what about all the times the train connection has to leave people at the station because they are running late .and the reason they are running late is that it takes them to long to dock ,its only a matter of time before somebody has a heart attack running up the pier for the train ,then we wil see the Sh-- hit the fan.
bluepeterno1

I see from your posts you don't work on the island, so you don't really stay there :wink:

Why blame CalMac for a lack of an Integrated Transport Policy? They have no more control over the train timetable than you or I. When the local councillor tried to get one of the mainland bus operators to shift their timetable by a few minutes to meet the ferry, he was basically flatly ignored by the operator. Both CalMac and the train operator are subject to financial penalties if they don't stick to their published (and un-integrated) timetables, so maybe the Scottish Executive is to blame when someone drop dead on the pier, although I suspect they'll suggest an earlier sailing would have been a better idea, as a delayed ferry is hardly a surprise.

MV Argyle's got operating problems in her first month of operation?

Well, well, that is a surprise, and I can't for the life of me understand why a brand new vessel should, just out of the yard and still being run in should develop faults. After all, everything's brand new.

Seriously though, someone somewhere really has to find some legislation buried away somewhere that get the three main operators round one table and bang their heads together until they get their services working together, rather than independently, and stop witch-hunting one of them as if changing that one operator would be like waving some magic wand. It most definitely wouldn't, and the lesson of the compulsion to initiate a tendering process should be a sombre warning that the most likely result is just more costs, and that means higher fares.

It's all very nice to propose free ferry travel, as we've just seen, but the operating bill doesn't go away. If it was ever propose and approved, the next morning there would be a group set up to have it cancelled on behalf of those who don't travel by ferry, it would be postponed, and the merry-go-round would start all over again :roll:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Around the World