Doomsday in Haghill

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Doomsday in Haghill

Postby Mori » Tue May 01, 2007 3:49 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mostpopular.var.1366123.mostviewed.welcome_to_haghell.php

Welcome to Hag-hell

BURNT-OUT cars, gun-toting soldiers in black uniforms, boarded-up windows and Welcome to Hell' daubed on a tenement door - that was the scene in a usually quiet Glasgow street.

But as the shocked residents rubbed sleep from their eyes, it all became clear - the war zone on their doorstep was really the post-apocalyptic set of a £15million blockbuster.

Hollywood came to Haghill yesterday as filming began in Marwick Street for the sci-fi movie Doomsday, set in Glasgow in 2033.

ImageImage
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue May 01, 2007 4:01 pm

I take they didnt need to add many props then

tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Tue May 01, 2007 4:04 pm

somone on here must know, how did haghill get such a name ?
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue May 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Plot sounds very much like 28 Days Later, is there supposed to be a connection, or is it a rip off ?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue May 01, 2007 4:12 pm

28 Neds Later?

28 Wines Later?
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Tue May 01, 2007 6:20 pm

Is Matt Damon playing the guy asking for any spare change?
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Tue May 01, 2007 6:43 pm

mr moto wrote:somone on here must know, how did haghill get such a name ?

It is possible that it is simply a corruption of the name of whoever owned the lands. The original Haghills (note the 's') was bordered by Whitehills and Kennyhills.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Tue May 01, 2007 10:33 pm

Looks great. I enjoy films like 'Planet of the Apes' and 'The Omega Man' so I will probably like this.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby scallopboy » Tue May 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:Looks great. I enjoy films like 'Planet of the Apes' and 'The Omega Man' so I will probably like this.

So you like films about monkeys and fish oil? ;)
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Tue May 01, 2007 11:21 pm

Yes, monkeys and fish oil. Sounds like an Member of Parliament's sex life.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby AlanM » Wed May 02, 2007 6:59 am

mr moto wrote:somone on here must know, how did haghill get such a name ?

at the risk of a slap..

Have you seen the women that live there?
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Wed May 02, 2007 8:35 am

In the early to mid ninites I worked in Bridgeton. Not exactly Alicante, itself but one day there was severe flooding and all the lower roads were flooded so I had to go up through Haghill to get home. It was the first time I'd ever been there (having always stayed away) and I couldn't believe it. It was the worst poverty I've ever seen in the United Kingdom and I've hardly had a plumy aristo upbringing myself.

There was literally people living in houses with tarpaulins over the roofs, there was burnt out cars everywhere, every garden was overgrown, everything had five layers of gang graffetti over it and the kids on the street broke your heart, they were just about dressed in rags, dirty snottery faces, hair not washed in god knows how long. I wouldn't hesitate to call it third world.

A couple of minutes later I came out on to Alexandria Parade and I was back in the 'normal' world. The whole thing was pretty surreal and really quite saddening.

As far as I know most of that area has been levelled now.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby job78989 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:26 am

Doomsday it may have been in Haghill, HOLLYWOOD invasion welcomed by our City Fathers no doubt! But why? I have never lived in the east end, but for a period of time in the late eighties, I worked in the area with a range of social initiatives aimed at reducing poverty and improving the quality of life. All this in a climate of Central and Local Government spending cuts, most projects failed through lack of adequate financial support.

Haghill followed the usual pattern for these areas, lack of investment in housing and social infrastructure, leading to undesirable housing and an area that is run down and vandalised, mostly by the people who live there, but why? Could it have anything to do with people being brought up in areas where they see, the powers that be, doing nothing to improve the quality of their lives, perhaps leading to a culture of apathy and despair!

Surely not in our great City, 2nd City of the Empire and all that bulls***, but yes way! This has happened in areas all over Glasgow, following our leaders in the City chambers we have allowed this to happen in area after area of the City. From campaigns like Glasgow’s Miles Better, regeneration projects like, GEAR, the Merchant City, Garden Festival, City of Culture, current projects like the riverside developments to the commonwealth Games. We hear the same bull being repeated again and again, things are getting better, all the neo-liberal social gentrification crap!

Is it getting better, where is the evidence? We have admittedly seen some vast improvements in housing in some areas, but the better examples of this are clearly seen where people have taken control of housing for themselves in the smaller community based housing associations, some real good work has been done, demolition of substandard damp and environmentally scary housing, being replaced by the little boxes on the hillside all made out of ticky tacky as the song said. But still better than the former City councils lack of any attempt to improve the quality of the housing, I can think of some wonderful examples.

Wonder whose idea it was to stick wee pointed canopies at the front entrance to multi storey flats, real quality housing investment that, the inside where people live is running with dampness, asbestos, vandalism stairways being used as shooting galleries and drinking dens by the cities excluded and hidden population. But aye lets build a wee canopy that will fix the problem, aye right!

My point?

Yes much has been done in the City, but little has been done to improve the live chances of the City’s Citizens in particular in the working class areas, for far too long we have been content to sit back and watch this decline, we see a generation of Vicky Pollards growing up all around us and we do nothing!

We do live in a so called democracy, but why do we have a political system that excludes and alienates the poor and the young? Could this because they see no point in voting as it makes no difference to them who has power because they are effectively excluded by the system itself?

Some pre election rants, sorry guys!

John
Last edited by job78989 on Wed May 02, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes the people need to speak if they want to be heard.
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:35 am

job78989 wrote:Wonder whose idea it was to stick wee pointed canopies at the front entrance to multi storey flats, real quality housing investment that, the inside where people live is running with dampness, asbestos, vandalism stairways being used as shooting galleries and drinking dens by the cities excluded and hidden population. But aye lets build a wee canopy that will fix the problem, aye right!

Kwality rant job78989, especially the bit above. Image

I think you're right about people in poor areas seeing no point in voting - some
areas in Glasgow have the lowest voting numbers in the UK. Social alienation or
just cause they cant read? You decide...

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed May 02, 2007 2:17 pm

job78989 wrote:we see a generation of Vicky Pollards growing up all around us and we do nothing!

John

FFS there is such a thing as freewill and social responsibility.

Haghill is, and always will be, a dump. You could build the best quality housing with all mod cons but if you put the same lobby dossing, giro bashing scum back in what do you get? Graffitti, litter, filty houses and feral children running amok. I hate GCC but by God no wonder they gave up.

How many initiatives have been set up by local council since the 60s? Too bloody many.

I pass Haghill every day coming to work and it's a litter strewn dump, caused solely by the people who live there. to be honest, did the film company filming here have to do much "dressing of the set". Not from what I could see.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)