Belvidere Hospital, Parkhead

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:52 pm

De nada, Josef, my friend. :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:58 pm

Not surprised Helenvale Park bit the dust - that first-generation astroturf surface
was fuckin horrendous for anything other than poofy sports like hockey. It was
like playing on green-coloured concrete. With some sand on it.

Todays artificial pitches are much better and it might've had a new lease
of life if one had been laid on it.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:04 pm

james73 wrote:poofy sports like hockey.

Are you at the ham? Get a grip and engage yer brain.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:05 pm

Given that Glasgow is hoping to spend umpteen zillion quid on a use-once Velodrome and assorted other instant white-elephant facilities for the Commonwealth Games, I should have thought they could justify a few grand for a resurfacing.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:13 pm

Josef wrote:Given that Glasgow is hoping to spend umpteen zillion quid on a use-once Velodrome and assorted other instant white-elephant facilities for the Commonwealth Games, I should have thought they could justify a few grand for a resurfacing.

Scotland has produced some of the best track cyclists in the world yet they have to go to England to train, why shouldn't we have facilities here?
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:21 pm

Josef wrote:Given that Glasgow is hoping to spend umpteen zillion quid on a use-once Velodrome and assorted other instant white-elephant facilities for the Commonwealth Games, I should have thought they could justify a few grand for a resurfacing.

I agree with you Josef, on your 'use-once Velodrome ' idea... a velodrome in Glasgow is a complete waste of money. As a cyclist,I'd think it was a great idea, but I can imagine quite readily what non-cyclists must be thinkig about it.

I remember Helenvale Park very well. i rode in a couple or so events there back in the late 40's, and it served its purpose well, even though it didn't cost 'zillions'. Seems we've come a long way since then.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby invy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:23 pm

I did a paper round in belvidere for about a year whilst studying for my o grades - up at 5am seven days a week... I'd be happy to go into more detail if anyone is interested - it was quite an education (big contrast between the wards) at that age and something that had quite an influence on how I view things these days.

-Jim
That'll be Fife I can see from the window :)
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:38 pm

mea culpa and all that.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:49 pm

I remember Helenvale Park very well. i rode in a couple or so events there back in the late 40's,

Hahahaha, serves yi right Josef ::):

No offence intendit bty, Dugald, I'm just tweaking Josef's tail. ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:25 am

james73 wrote:poofy sports like hockey

And here was me thinking that it was just big lezzers that liked hockey :roll:
dazza
-
-

Postby DickyHart » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:03 am

I played a bit of footy on it, a nice wee tunnel was underneath and you ran out onto the pitch from it feeling like superstar. then get humped 7-nil hehehe
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:24 am

AlanM wrote:
Scotland has produced some of the best track cyclists in the world yet they have to go to England to train, why shouldn't we have facilities here?

I agree with you Alan, regarding Scotland producing some great track cyclists, but to a non-cyclist,I'm sure they won't give a second thought to whether Scotland produces great cyclists or not. To build a velodrome will be very expensive, and it will never attract enough spectators to cover operating expenses let alone the cost of building it. (Don't Scottish cyclists currently have the use of the bicycle track in Edinburgh?) The city of Montreal inherited a magnificent velodrome from the 1976 Olympics, but it has done little to improve Canada's standing in world track racing... worth noting too, that montreal is about three times the size of Glsgow, and there are lots of active cyclists there, yet they could never fill the velodrome with spectators. Much and all as I would like to see a good track in Glasgow, I realise it just wouldn't be worth the cost. Spend the money on some good cycle paths instead.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:46 am

Dugald, how long have you been in Canada?

The point you and Josef are missing is that the Executive is providing the majority of funding for the velodrome, and its not just a velodrome, its a complex of 2000 seat velodrome, 5000 seat National Indoor Sports Arena and the new HQ of Sport Scotland, Scotlands national sports agency (being relocated from Edinburgh). This combined and integrated facility, coupled with its proximity to a huge football stadium is well placed to act as a regeneration catalyst for the area and your assumption that it will be used once is one borne of naivety.

The velodrome, along with the other facilities I have mentioned will be built regardless of whether or not Glasgow gets the 2014 Commonwealth Games. The reason we are bidding for the games is because these facilities are being built, not the other way round.
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby AlanM » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:17 pm

In addition to Crusty's point, very little of the infrastructure required to host the Commonwealth games is still be constructed, with the majority requiring some upgrading or adaptation for use.
For instance in a city with four 10,000+ seater stadia we are not building a new athletics arena for the games but adapting Hampden to host athletics and therefore not leaving a large building that would get little use after the games, should our bid be successful.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:03 pm

Fair enough. I freely confess to seldom even finishing the headline of any story that mentions athletics, let alone the story itself, so mentioning the Commonwealth Games was posting from ignorance. Sorry.

I was really just asking why Helenvale Park was allowed to fall into dereliction.

[Edit] Actually, I've just found out why.
The track was originally 400m/440y cinder. It was replaced with an astro turf pitch with a 200m track around the more southerly length of the pitch and the eastern end. The rest of the perimeter of the pitch was just squared off although there is a narrow section of synthetic surface around it. The park fell into disuse after someone broke their leg at a joint on the pitch and the council would not re-lay the pitch. Since then the stand has been set alight, the ground closed and the astroturf lifted. It is believed the running track went at the same time as the pitch. The place is now locked up so there is no public access.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)