Clydebank Past & Present.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

clydebank.....

Postby glasgowlegends » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:39 am

anyone got anythin on clydebank? there must be something interesting about the place! surely with the whole war stuff and whatever. I live there soo hopefully can do a bit of explorin! btw,thanks for the help!
glasgowlegends
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby escotregen » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:22 pm

There is http://www.clydebankrebuilt.co.uk - its hardly an archive source but they do have community links and forum so you could maybe get leads from there. There was a big commemoration event about a year or two back to mark the anniversary of the Clydebank Blitz (it was the most intensively bombed UK city area proportionate to its size and the consequent deaths and injury - despite all the publicity that London, Coventry etc get). So there might be some Council source you could tap into.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:41 pm

hello glasgowlegends and welcome. you can try your local library for old books and maps they should have. Try also The Mitchell library .
-f-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby glasgowlegends » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:02 pm

thanks..as with a lot ppl it seems, I think I have a fasination with tunnels! anyway...there is a pipe(large tho, bout 5 foot diameter), that runs through a hill at dalmuir park, altho not sure where it goes...
glasgowlegends
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby GoRdY_b » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:23 pm

What about the Singer Clock? I heard that after it was dismantled all these years ago it has completely disappeared without a trace.

I thought (like a lot of people) that one of the clock faces was to be kept at a local park and the internal workings were to be kept at a local library. If this is the case where are they now?

The clock at the time had the largest clock faces in the world. A bit of sentimental value in this because my father (who was an apprentice press toolmaker at the factory) was sent at regular intervals to wind the clock up.

By some strange coincidence My grandfather was president of Singer's factory, my father served his apprenticeship there and now I work on the site which is now Clydebank business park.

Any ideas :?:
Hope is an indulgence for which I have little time.
GoRdY_b
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby glasgowlegends » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:06 am

thats strange! actually, on the subject of tunnels( ok we weren't talking bout them but..) I am heading over to NYC in the summer. Some of the exploration sites that covers there is amazing..grand central station etc..anyone made a trip there? I been in the past but not wet that far into it!
glasgowlegends
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby kn0wledge » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:35 pm

Check out http://www.uer.ca and post on the forum that you'd like to hook up with some UErs in New York. I am sure plenty will be willing to meet you.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: clydebank.....

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:56 pm

glasgowlegends wrote:anyone got anythin on clydebank? there must be something interesting about the place! surely with the whole war stuff and whatever. I live there soo hopefully can do a bit of explorin!

Have you been down to Clydebank Library :?: I keep meaning to get down there and check out thier WW2 records. Do us a favour Legends and make a few enquires as to what they've got in the archive and report back here. :wink:

PS: don't feel embarassed at making a general enquiry to the lady behind the desk, Libriarians are the salt of the earth in my book and are only too happy to help, thats what they get paid for and they know thier local history better than anyone generaly! :D Now get out there.

Cheers
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:25 pm

All goin well, i will have some pics from atop the Titan Crane on the old UIE site. I've already been up, but without the camera...i'll take it next time though, and will get plenty of good piccies :wink:
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:44 pm

Any Bankies know of this site: there was a druid temple excavated in Clydebank in 1937. The location was given as Knappers, also known as Kilbowie, and it was in a quarry on or near Great Western Road. Ring any bells? Maybe the local library's local historian would know ...
Any locals fancy following this up? :?:
There's a thread about Knappers in the Coffee Lounge, headed "Druid Glasgow", and I'd like to know more about this site. For example, is there anything left of the temple, or even of the quarry? Thanks. :P
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KMas » Thu May 06, 2004 1:03 am

I will check with my Bankie fiance, he know's Kilnowie & Gt. Western well from about 1969

KM
KMas
Just settling in
Just settling in

Clydebank - website with all the answers

Postby alexwaddell » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:58 pm

Well folks, I've been running a wee website called welcometoclydebank, located at : http://www.welcometoclydebank.org.uk, for a few years now. Lots of photos, a message board, local history etc.

Cheers,
Alex
alexwaddell
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The_Clincher » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:14 pm

The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:49 pm

Here's one of The Singer Factory Clock>>>>>>>
The_Clincher