Forth and Clyde Canal

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby DMcNay » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:56 pm

Fascinating stuff cyclo, cheers.

The tour guide that showed us around that day went into a little detail about some of the masonic imagery, but not in as much detail as this...

The echo is good for performing music (our guide sang to us) but for publicspeaking of any kind I think it would be quite impractical.

There was something just outside the keepers cottage which had us all baffled. I'll try and find my picture, you might know what it is. Looks like a round barbeque type arrangement, but appears to have a stone tree stump in the middle of it.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:22 pm

They never go into it other than pointing out the zodiac and masonic symbols around the walls.

The really obvious bits...

The Temple (as it's largely built as a Roman Temple) is oriented West to East, like a lodge. (actually there is a bit more to this)
The Sarcophocus sits in the centre of the East wall, where the Master sits. There is a mosaic floor, with required representation of the flaming star and tresseled border, stylised.

I know the masonry stump your talking about. looks like a wishing well. Never have found out what that was but I can't think of it ever having a staue in it even when I was quite young. Whether what ever is sticking out of it belongs there no-one seems to know either. Perhaps that is the remains of the second statue, I don't think so, but equally I don't know.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:29 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:........................................................................
I know the masonry stump your talking about. looks like a wishing well. Never have found out what that was but I can't think of it ever having a staue in it even when I was quite young. Whether what ever is sticking out of it belongs there no-one seems to know either. Perhaps that is the remains of the second statue, I don't think so, but equally I don't know.

Any one hazard a guess to what this is :?:

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:47 pm

Found this link for Palace pictures etc.

http://www.sorbie.net/hamilton_mausoleum.htm
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Canal Barge at Stables restaurant

Postby peter » Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:30 pm

Does anyone know if the old restaurant barge is still moored at the Stables. It was originally the Clyde Ferry number 10 which plied from Govan (Stag St) to Yorkhill. I helped to convert her when I worked at DM Russell Marine (Silvers) of Rosneath in around 1982.
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:43 pm

Fossy... do you have a larger res of that pic?

Crusty :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:33 pm

crusty_bint wrote:Fossy... do you have a larger res of that pic?

Crusty :D

I do . How big do you want it 8O . Pm with you e-mail

fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Seamey » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:49 am

I remember going through a passenger tunnel under the canal between Cadder and Ruchill - I tried to find it the other day and couldn't see any trace of it. There is a tunnel beside the railway line, but this tunnel was just about a meter or so wide and was further east along the canal.

Anyone know what happened to it? Or point me to where it is.

Seamey
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:09 am

Hi Cyclo
Fancy meeting for a chat about esoteric architecture? I'd especially welcome your thoughts on the Glasgow Necropolis as a M:. structure.
Best, Ronnie
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:13 am

Seamey wrote:I remember going through a passenger tunnel under the canal between Cadder and Ruchill - I tried to find it the other day and couldn't see any trace of it. There is a tunnel beside the railway line, but this tunnel was just about a meter or so wide and was further east along the canal.

Anyone know what happened to it? Or point me to where it is.

Seamey

I think I know the tunnel you're referring to. It's at the end of Lochburn
Road. The last time I saw it (over a year ago) it had been filled in from
the Ruchill side. There was a burnt out car residing in it at the time, also.
IIRC the most recent offical 'Cycle Routes Around Glasgow' map still shows
the tunnel as part of a route to get from the canal to Balmore Road. I cant
see how this could be possible now.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Seamey » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:10 am

I'm actually thinking of another tunnel further east along the canal - this one wouldn't be wide enough for a car to be driven into, although a cycle could get through it.

Maybe it was filled in as a result of the house building on the other side of the canal.

Seamey
Seamey
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:45 pm

I do think you're both talking about the same tunnel. The Hallowe'en Pen we called it. It is only a single track cart tunnel, pedestrians only basically. A car wouldn't get round the corners in the middle of the tunnel. It goes from the end of Lochburn Road to the bottom, or thereabouts, of Hillend Road. The Hillend Road end was almost filled in but about a 3 foot gap was left between the tunnel mouth and the infill due to the housing being built on the old golf course. That was the last time I was there (about a year ago also) but isn't it a public right of way? They are bulding houses at the end of Hillend road too but I think they've left a path between them to get to the tunnel.

There was another tunnel nearby which was called the Miley up my way. I think that was a railway tunnel on the line that ran from maryhill but that was flattened where it ran through the golf course to build the houses on.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:18 pm

http://www.waterscape.com/newsandevents ... 70416.html

glasgow canal set for revival
24 August 2004

Work has begun to link two of Glasgow’s most historical canalside locations.

Speirs Wharf and Pinkston Basin on the Forth & Clyde Canal have not been connected for 40 years. However, they are expected to be re-connected by late 2005 in a £5.6million project, creating a thriving canal quarter.

The development is the first stage in a long-term regeneration project hoping to create a positive change in North Glasgow and, with the restoration of the canal basin, a flourishing and attractive waterspace.

Managed by British Waterways, the scheme aims to create maximum benefits for the city, which could lead to new jobs in the area by releasing up to 30 hectares of unused land in Port Dundas. The land could be used for mixed-use development and environmental improvements.

It is also expected that the project will stimulate investment in tourism and recreation amenities.

Funding has been received from Glasgow City Council, European Regional Development Fund, ISIS and the Garfield Weston Foundation.

British Waterways’ chairman, George Greener, commented: “This canalside development provides a tremendous opportunity for economic growth through the reconnection of these two historic canalside locations, and represents a productive next step in the regeneration of Scotland’s Lowland canal corridor.”

Councillor Charlie Gordon, leader of Glasgow City Council explained: “The re-connection of Speirs Wharf to Pinkston Basin builds on the regeneration process started by the creation of The Millennium Link. It brings the Forth & Clyde Canal very close to Glasgow’s vibrant City Centre and mirrors the regeneration of Glasgow’s River Clyde Waterfront with a new and exciting Canal Waterfront.”
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ronnie » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:29 pm

Go and take your moody "dereliction" pictures now, complete with herons sitting on rotting poles, before the developers swoop. Anyone fancy a trip there?
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:32 pm

I absolutely do indeed!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects