Glasgow 1980 - Oscar Marzaroli

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow 1980 - Oscar Marzaroli

Postby JamesMc » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:59 pm

On Doors open day Saturday, i took the opportunity to wander up the to the top of the lighthouse as it was free. On my way up, i noticed a video playing in one of the exhibition spaces so i stopped to watch. what i saw was an incredible litlle half hour film called Glasgow 1980. Has anyone else seen this? I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything on it. It was made in 1971 and directed by Marzaroli, and was a look at the way Glasgow would be in 1980, specifically looking at the regeneration of housing and transport infrastructure. It was the first of two intended films, the other to be filmed in 1978. It contained some of the most hilarious and chilling stuff i've seen on Glasgow's "regeneration".

I wandered in as the future of work was being discussed, showing students at Strathclyde Uni in Science labs. We then got gratuitous shots from the labs and some sort of engineering process with rods being inserted into holes and liquid being sprayed whilst wah-wah guitar played in the background. The end sequence featured the queen mum opening the Kingston bridge and lots of cutting as a car took the sliproad on, drove for a while, took the sliproad off into town, took another sliproad on...and all the while with this funky music playing. Nice shots of the footbridge to nowhere too.Oh and the Anderston centre of course.

The funniest moment was the final shot, the car drives up to what looks like the dead end M74 link part on the south side and stops right on the edge. Then appears on screen; TO BE CONTINUED... Priceless. When it ended, i wanted to share with someone how ridiculous it was, but the only people in the room left straight away as i sat for another few minutes in disbelief. I have since discovered you can buy it from the Scottish screen archive on video, bundled with another docu on Glasgow's dockyards from the late fifties which was also showing in the Lighthouse, but which i didn't have time to see. I may have to buy it.

JamesMc.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:07 pm

I think Bill Forsyth had something to do with it.

Check the Scottish Screen Archive website. I think they have this available for sale on video.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Yep, i forgot to mention that, Bill Forsyth was the editor.
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:41 am

Scottish Screen do indeed sell both for £12.99 on video.

http://data.scottishscreen.com/product/detail.php?id=10005

also some blurb about screenshots and stuff

http://data.scottishscreen.com/film/detail.php?id=09740001

Sounds like a good buy, if only I hadnt chucked out my video recorder :cry:
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:36 am

emmar wrote:Scottish Screen do indeed sell both for £12.99 on video.

http://data.scottishscreen.com/product/detail.php?id=10005

also some blurb about screenshots and stuff

http://data.scottishscreen.com/film/detail.php?id=09740001

Sounds like a good buy, if only I hadnt chucked out my video recorder :cry:

They've got a few good buys. I' not sure if you can buy "The Big Mill" which is a documentary about Ravenscraig, but it looked interesting from the smalll clips I saw.

The one I bought wascalled "Surreally Soczzeze" (terrible title) which showcased the work of Enrico Coccoza, a film-maker from Wishaw. Good stuff, and very strange to see the town I live in from fifty years ago...

Scottish Screen Archive also have a film (not released on video) called "COunty of the Clyde", which is a documentary on Lanarkshire, narration written by Magnus Magnusson and spoken by Roy Kinnear. It;s a great wee doco, also weird because I know so many of the places in it, and yet they're almost unrecognisable.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:07 pm

dr_lightning wrote:
They've got a few good buys. I' not sure if you can buy "The Big Mill" which is a documentary about Ravenscraig, but it looked interesting from the smalll clips I saw.

you can indeedy purchase it :-
http://data.scottishscreen.com/product/ ... p?id=10029

dr_lightning wrote:The one I bought wascalled "Surreally Soczzeze" (terrible title) which showcased the work of Enrico Coccoza, a film-maker from Wishaw. Good stuff, and very strange to see the town I live in from fifty years ago...

Scottish Screen Archive also have a film (not released on video) called "COunty of the Clyde", which is a documentary on Lanarkshire, narration written by Magnus Magnusson and spoken by Roy Kinnear. It;s a great wee doco, also weird because I know so many of the places in it, and yet they're almost unrecognisable.

Its always a chuckle seeing what others think of your town and what it looked like, well maybe I just chuckle when i see the Cumbernauld ones :)

Hmm might start looking for a cheap video recorder.

Might add this to my amazon wish list

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0906474388/qid=1095966473/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-5477064-3233206 Nice cheap price for an Oscar book 8O
два сталкиваются
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aliferste » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:24 pm

I went to college with Marzaroli's daughter :)
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Glasgow 1980 - Oscar Marzaroli

Postby Marlon » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:53 am

JamesMc wrote:On Doors open day Saturday, i took the opportunity to wander up the to the top of the lighthouse as it was free. On my way up, i noticed a video playing in one of the exhibition spaces so i stopped to watch. what i saw was an incredible litlle half hour film called Glasgow 1980. Has anyone else seen this? I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything on it. It was made in 1971 and directed by Marzaroli, and was a look at the way Glasgow would be in 1980, specifically looking at the regeneration of housing and transport infrastructure. It was the first of two intended films, the other to be filmed in 1978. It contained some of the most hilarious and chilling stuff i've seen on Glasgow's "regeneration".

I wandered in as the future of work was being discussed, showing students at Strathclyde Uni in Science labs. We then got gratuitous shots from the labs and some sort of engineering process with rods being inserted into holes and liquid being sprayed whilst wah-wah guitar played in the background. The end sequence featured the queen mum opening the Kingston bridge and lots of cutting as a car took the sliproad on, drove for a while, took the sliproad off into town, took another sliproad on...and all the while with this funky music playing. Nice shots of the footbridge to nowhere too.Oh and the Anderston centre of course.

The funniest moment was the final shot, the car drives up to what looks like the dead end M74 link part on the south side and stops right on the edge. Then appears on screen; TO BE CONTINUED... Priceless. When it ended, i wanted to share with someone how ridiculous it was, but the only people in the room left straight away as i sat for another few minutes in disbelief. I have since discovered you can buy it from the Scottish screen archive on video, bundled with another docu on Glasgow's dockyards from the late fifties which was also showing in the Lighthouse, but which i didn't have time to see. I may have to buy it.

JamesMc.

I think Sean Connery narrated the doc on the glasgow docklands
Marlon
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Vladimir » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:06 am

I have Glasgow 1980, The Big Mill and Clyde Film, all on video. Good viewing.
Last edited by Vladimir on Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:22 am

You know, just looked at previous posts and realised this thread dates from 3 years ago. Oh well! ::): :roll:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lynnski » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Jings! So it does!! I never noticed! :oops: My Kitten, do you still want a video? I have one you can have.....
lynnski
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:18 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bankie73 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:32 pm

Try this it's got most of the film online :)

http://www.bestlaidschemes.com/moviezone/glasgow-1980
bankie73
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dougie » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:16 pm

I've got this video, also tried to get the follow-up 'Glasgow's Progress' which is currently being converted but was quoted £70 for a copy on DVD so I'll pass.... :cry:
Dougie
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby yourebarred » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:31 pm

70 quid to copy a video to dvd? i'll do it for nowt..
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)