A Greek Tragedy

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby purplegrum » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:59 pm

It's a shame nobody could have got inside before it was ripped apart to more thoroughly document the building - more history yet destroyed.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:15 pm

I can't believe these architects that are saying the Conservation Lobby holds back new design... what the hell do they know about conservation and new design for that matter!?!? Conservation is does permit new design, but new design of the highest standard. We don't want our historic structures covered in the fads of the 00's (e.g. generic glass and steel boxes and titanium cladding) or any other age for that matter!

For one of them to say that the office Thomson designed and built for himself does not merit preservation beacause it gets in the way of his proposed on-site parking facility is scandalous! I mean, this is supposed to be an educated man... educated to what level I ask?

At least there is some salvation in te fact that plans to save the door piece seem have come to fruition, now what about his trademark windows on the ground floor of the west elevevation?

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby AMcD » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:24 pm

Friday night

Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:40 pm

Thanks for the latest pics amcd much appreciated in the HG forum :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:40 am

Taken 7.30am Sunday 13th June

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby DMcNay » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 am

Burger me, they didn't hang about long.....
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby skintobalinto » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:09 am

What about the railings outside, you would think someone the would have saved them too.

BTW all of your efforts are appreciated pgcc93, foss, nodrog and amcd for all of the photos.

Thanks
skintobalinto
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:23 pm

Blimey, that was quick.

Snapped these on Saturday morning - bit out of date now but might as well post them anyway for completeness sake.

It looks like the lintel and decorated stone work above the main entrance was removed prior to the total demolition on Foss' photos - I wonder if the same was done with the larger side entrance or not?

I'll leave the final word to this photo - the single upright of the stair bannister seeming to raise one finger in particular to Glasgow City Council....

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:06 pm

Sunday about 8.30pm:

duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:23 pm

Tuesday lunchtime, and nearly all gone:
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:32 pm

Personally, I'd like to know:

- who was it that phoned in and complained the building looked unsafe, and were they in any way related to a) the council, b) the owners?

- how long was it between the phonecall being made and the demolishers moving in?

- I think estimates were given that the job would take 6 weeks (correct me if i'm wrong), yet it seems to be almost completed in what, about 2 weeks? obviously this is a good thing if it reduces the amount of time this road is closed, but points to also an over-estimation in the time required for the job. someone's doing very well financially from that estimation i expect. i won't say anymore...
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:50 pm

duncan wrote:Personally, I'd like to know:

- who was it that phoned in and complained the building looked unsafe, and were they in any way related to a) the council, b) the owners?

- how long was it between the phonecall being made and the demolishers moving in?

I wondered _exactly_ the same thing. How many members of the public bother to look at buildings and notice if they look old, and also how many members of the public know a phone number for the planning office to call if they do so?

I've stood next to that building waiting on buses for the last 10 years or so and never saw anything major wrong with it.

Very, very fishy if you ask me...
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:32 pm

- I think estimates were given that the job would take 6 weeks (correct me if i'm wrong), yet it seems to be almost completed in what, about 2 weeks? obviously this is a good thing if it reduces the amount of time this road is closed, but points to also an over-estimation in the time required for the job. someone's doing very well financially from that estimation i expect. i won't say anymore...

It was supposed to be 12 weeks start to finish The info is on the notice which is attached to the wire fence around the demolition. I was told by someone on site that it was coming down ASAP due to safety reasons (My Arse).

Don’t forget this was a 24hour Job

This company also demolished the Virginia Galleries.....

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:29 pm

How long does it take to lose a piece of our heritage?
...about 408 hours 8O

I thought this whole thing a bit fishy from the start. It seemed a bit of a coincidence that it all started over a bank holiday weekend, so that by the time anyone realised what was happening nothing could be done, the councils got the Monday off, and by open of business on Tuesday a quarter of the buildings been dismantled and nothing can be done... whats that all about?! Its also very kind for the contractor to fork out for all the overtime too.

all; very: cushy!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby PlasticDel » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:17 am

Shocking!
On that note, Duncan...

Rant:
I've objected to proposal to demolish a magnificent building in my town. Its been empty for a while, but it stands in the way of "progress" Why not put a concrete box in it place and then keep the rates so high nobody will move into it?
This particular building is owned by a group of trustees! The council coulda easily given them a repair notice to keep it in good nick, or carried out the repairs themselves and charged the owners for them. But the trustees are chaired by one particular guys who happens to be the council leader. Building control aint gonna charge their boss or order him to pay 1.5mil in repairs, coz it's gonna be their job on the line.

In closing:
GCC shoulda stepped in here, they don't seem to give a damn about Thomson. Councils are owned and ordered and run by morons, who are too greedy to see past their steering wheel on their Jag! Councils suck!
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)