The picture below is the old buildings which stood on the site of
the Westergate building previously.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Tunnels

Postby james73 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:51 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:The platform supports that are visible in the pic are the ones that are on
the existing L/L platforms. The ones I have seen on the 'Old Platform' ln situ are on the far left of the picture and situated inside the eastbound tunnel,hence not shown The old supports would have continued had they not been removed prior to the picture being taken.

If you can get a hold of O S Nock's The Caledonian Railway there is a cross section drawing of the Platforms on the Low Level on P.115 Try your local library or the Mitchell. Although not fully illustrated it might give a rough idea as to it's layout.

You mean this one?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Glasgow Central Low Level

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:27 pm

That's the one James73, you can also make out the subteranean passage way that links platforms 3-4 5-6 7-8 9-10. That's the wrought Iron work surrounded staircases on the above platforms. No longer used for public access. Interesting to see you could enter at Hope Street and exit at the main circular hub at the far end of Argyle Street by the looks of it. Blocked off with Breeze block at platform 3&4 but there is still a sign on the wall down there with 'Hope Street' and an arrow pointing in the general direction.
Pgcc
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Central Low Level

Postby james73 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:15 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:That's the one James73, you can also make out the subteranean passage way that links platforms 3-4 5-6 7-8 9-10. That's the wrought Iron work surrounded staircases on the above platforms. No longer used for public access. Interesting to see you could enter at Hope Street and exit at the main circular hub at the far end of Argyle Street by the looks of it. Blocked off with Breeze block at platform 3&4 but there is still a sign on the wall down there with 'Hope Street' and an arrow pointing in the general direction.

That was to be my next question :) - I had always wonderered about
those stair cases and what their point was.

You can also see in that schematic that platforms 2&3 and 4&5 initially
ended much further into the concourse than they currently do.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Tunnels

Postby james73 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:31 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:The platform supports that are visible in the pic are the ones that are on
the existing L/L platforms. The ones I have seen on the 'Old Platform' ln situ are on the far left of the picture and situated inside the eastbound tunnel,hence not shown The old supports would have continued had they not been removed prior to the picture being taken.

I've looked closely at that picture, and studying it next to the plan schematic
it seems as if you could be mistaken. According to the plan, the 2 existing
tracks look like they do not exceed the width of Argyle Street, with the
platform being almost dead centre. In the late 1970's photograph from
Eastbank MRC, it looks like the visible supports in the centre of the picture
are actually directly under the north side pavement. From my very hazy
memory, I recall the Westergate site being vacant as a boy. I think the
new building went up about 1982? I remember there was definately a
pavement with a tall fench on the north side of Argyle Street. It certainly
didnt impeed on the actual road width. I always tried to get a peek down,
but never really could.

Are you certain about the position of those supports? I'm leaning towards
thinking that perhaps those supports are to the north of the existing
eastbound line, and had initially separated the original 'middle' lines?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby alanmac » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:04 pm

There's an open tunnel section at the back of Argyle Street (behind the small 2 storey house, no. 1129 a block up from Creme de la Creme)
I used to work there and the only access is at the back of 1129 or round to the right of the back lane (at no. 1103)
Its a fair drop down to it so I never explored it at all but has anyone been down? And what line does that connect with?
alanmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Central Low Level

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:48 am

The blue line shown in the photo depicts the wall on the East bound platform constructed during refurbishment . Behind it shows what used to be the layout.
There was a lot more to the low level than today sadly. I've heard there were lugguage elevators and that there were facilities for handling livestock.
Also a large water tank & slaker pipe for topping up engines. I think it might have been at the eastern end of the eastbound platform just inside the tunnel mouth. It's apparently still in situe.

Last edited by Pgcc93 on Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:14 am

Interesting picture. It confirms what I thought about the position of the
current lines - they're right underneath Argyle Street. It still looks to
me, therefore, that this picture
http://www.eastbank.btinternet.co.uk/images/Glasgow/GW03.jpg
is showing the are to the immediate north of the current platform, as it
doesn't look like those supports are under the exact middle of the street.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Central Low Level

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:04 am

I'll try and pop down and take a few pics in the next week or so during my shift. Not a great deal to see since the construction of the Westergate building, but part of the old platform still remains and a few other interesting things in the vicinity that are not visible to the public.

My current DiGi Cam is knackered and I'm awaiting a replacement, so I'll post them up as soon as.
PGCC
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

barrack st tunnel(s)

Postby sciuro » Mon May 24, 2004 3:14 pm

can confirm jim's report of barrack st tunnel in east end. it runs from an old junction just east of high street station through a tunnel under barrack street, into a short cutting, and then through another short tunnel towards (but not as far as) bridgeton cross. accessible a week ago with a little climbing at both ends.

cheers

-duncan
sciuro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: barrack st tunnel(s)

Postby james73 » Mon May 24, 2004 4:31 pm

sciuro wrote:can confirm jim's report of barrack st tunnel in east end. it runs from an old junction just east of high street station through a tunnel under barrack street, into a short cutting, and then through another short tunnel towards (but not as far as) bridgeton cross. accessible a week ago with a little climbing at both ends.

The line you speak of actually branched off the Saint Enoch's line northwards
towards Bellgrove and, as you say, tunnelled under Barrack St where it joined to
the High St to Bridgeton Central line.

Details here:
http://www.railscot.co.uk/City_of_Glasgow_Union_Railway/frame.htm

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Tue May 25, 2004 7:00 am

Wow, facinating stuff guys. I remember being dragged down to "Fine Fare by my mum as an angry toddler around '81/'82 and wondering what the hell was behind that big fence ? I do however think that the fence was someway on to the pavement and that traffic cones took up the left hand lane on Argyle St, round and up Hope St. (Hard to see due to the bushes that had formed)

Could be wrong though?http://www.eastbank.btinternet.co.uk/images/Glasgow/GW03.jpg
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby birdie » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:50 pm

The tunnels mentioned here are Ladywell 200 yards, Gallowgate 210 yards and Bridgeton Central 310 yards.
They are accesible via some offices at Bridgeton Central, although the gate has known to be padlocked during some visits. All the tunnels have supports for 25kv overhead wires, which were used when Bridgeton Central was a EMU stabling point, before Yoker opened.
There is another tunnel adjacent to Ladywell which was called St John's Street tunnel. It was only 80 yards, plus some 'cut and cover', but it provided a useful link (in it's day) from Bridgeton Central to the City Union line for Paisley and beyond.

Birdie.
birdie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby caine » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:40 am

wouldnt mind a bit more info on those offices in bridgeton birdie, or anywhere else that offers access to any of those tunnels. :D
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby birdie » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:34 pm

These are some map scans of Glasgow showing some disused tunnels in the area. They may be helpful in your explorations.

Birdie

birdie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects