Pasts in need of a Present...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby duck » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:44 pm

I keep coming back to your pic scaryman and think you're brilliant!!!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:52 pm

scaryman2u wrote:
duck wrote:I think this could turn into a really great thread as did the past present one - especially for folks like me who want to be there but can't. Forced sad visit back home recently had an advantage in that I managed to collect lots of family snaps. This "past" one is of my big sister in about 1956 or so. Don't suppose it's too difficult to pin point where it is - but who can provide a "present" ???

Present
That`s as near as I could get as there is a sub-station on the left now.

nice work! but please can you post it in the actual Past Present Thread In Hidden Projects.

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby duck » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:00 pm

Foss, will do as told but don't really understand why we got told off. I'm a fanatical Glaswegian though I have the disadvantage of living elsewhere.
I thought the idea of past present was great and have followed it with a passion. Then i discovered past in need of a present and thought that was great too! Lots of us can provide pasts but we're not there to provide the present though we would like to. I am ever in scaryman's debt because he provided something I wanted. He answered my wish, he took the time and the interest to go and search and for no reward, simply for a fellow glaswegian. I'm so much more pleased he did that than lots of the easy stuff that gets classed as 'brilliant' in other posts. thanks scaryman!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:09 pm

duck wrote:Foss, will do as told but don't really understand why we got told off. I'm a fanatical Glaswegian though I have the disadvantage of living elsewhere.
I thought the idea of past present was great and have followed it with a passion. Then i discovered past in need of a present and thought that was great too! Lots of us can provide pasts but we're not there to provide the present though we would like to. I am ever in scaryman's debt because he provided something I wanted. He answered my wish, he took the time and the interest to go and search and for no reward, simply for a fellow glaswegian. I'm so much more pleased he did that than lots of the easy stuff that gets classed as 'brilliant' in other posts. thanks scaryman!

I told no one off - just directed scary to post in that thread. I have no problem with a past in need of a present thread, but if the image is found that matches it, post it in the relevant thread with a link back to the orginal topic thread

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby scaryman2u » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:54 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:
duck wrote:Foss, will do as told but don't really understand why we got told off. I'm a fanatical Glaswegian though I have the disadvantage of living elsewhere.

I told no one off - just directed scary to post in that thread. I have no problem with a past in need of a present thread, but if the image is found that matches it, post it in the relevant thread with a link back to the orginal topic thread

Fossil

duck... It was a pleasure, I ran about that area when I was a nipper ::): The flat roofed houses were a give-away :wink: I remember them getting the roofs ::):

Fossy, what you said there made a lot of sense, but, still sounded like nonsense :?
Why have a past in need of a present thread when you have to post on another :?
The reason I posted it here ... (and I did think about the past present thread ) ... was, that I had not submitted the past photograph :?
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:35 pm

scaryman2u wrote:Why have a past in need of a present thread when you have to post on another :?
The reason I posted it here ... (and I did think about the past present thread ) ... was, that I had not submitted the past photograph :?

As I said back on page 1...

If you can provide a 'present' photo to any of the following, all taken around 1986, then please post it here - and in the proper Past Present thread

Perhaps if we think of this thread as separate 'to-do' list for Past Present, then when a matching Present pic is found, they both should be posted by the taker in the proper 'Past Present' thread, as that's the primary thread people tend to look in, and we don't want to dilute it...
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:31 pm

nodrog

If you can provide a 'present' photo to any of the following, all taken around 1986, then please post it here - and in the proper Past Present thread

Cheers nodrog, a bit of word blindness from me there as I went back and read the opening post before posting the piccy`s :oops:
Apologies also to Fossy :oops: I read the post where you told HH to post it on the Past Present thread but I thought you were winding him up :wink: You must admit it`s hard not to read between the lines when you post :wink:
Hopefully that clears things up. ::):
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:24 pm

Heres some fresh luma tower pics

McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:52 pm

If anyone wants to live there.....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-14543431.rsp
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:58 pm

Mark N wrote:If anyone wants to live there.....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-14543431.rsp

Their pictures are terrible! Not one of them gives a fair view of any of the rooms
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Tue May 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Anyone got a helicopter?

Postcard bought yesterday, WHSmith Argyle St.

Big version (not v good res) here

Offers on the date?

Amazing how the Clydeport building shows up without all that new - ah - stuff - along the Broomielaw.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Tue May 15, 2007 4:51 pm

I see the Carrick is still lying moored up at Victoria Bridge so the picture couldn't have been taken after 1991, as I believe that was the year the vessel was moved to Irvine.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby eltor2ga » Tue May 15, 2007 5:02 pm

james73 wrote:Cant imagine why the Hutchie estate failed... :roll:

James H

I seem to remember reading that the architect (I'm sure it was James Stirling) rejected all criticism directed at the design of the estate. When it was announced they were to be flattened, he blamed the people living in the estate for turning it into a dark, damp ridden hole!
Opinions are like arses... We all have one.
eltor2ga
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Fri May 18, 2007 8:43 pm

If i remember correctly the low rise Hutchie scheme was based on a housing scheme in Kenya. The place was riddled with damp within a year. The multi storeys(A,B & C)were known locally as Alcatraz, Barlinnie and Carstairs.
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cybers » Sat May 19, 2007 2:39 am

I remember walking through that Hutchy estate with my mum yonks ago. i was but a nipper at the time and i remember wondering why the flats all seemed empty. the place seemed to be a ghost town before they even got close to getting dozed.
Was a nice wee kick start to the old memory lane...
If cheese gets mouldy you throw it out...
Why buy it mouldy in the first place ?
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)