Waulkmill Glen

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

fesability study darnley park

Postby ronnieauld3 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:02 pm

hi job78989 i have a copy of the feasability study for the darnley country park you are welcome to a loan of it if you want pm me
ronnieauld3
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby udrigle » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:28 pm

Hi i am new to this forum, but live in the parkhouse area. Around 8 -10 years ago there was a project where rangers from pollok park ran a few historical walks along the waulkmill burn. they made reference to the age of the bridge near the foot of the walk, hidden behind the ashoka, as being around 4-500years old? They also had details of the bleaching fields up towards the dams. Perhaps there are some notes or references still available. I can't remember the waedens names, but he was bases in Darnley primary school for a while taking the kids on field trips around the burn and pond.
udrigle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:17 pm

udrigle wrote:Hi i am new to this forum, but live in the parkhouse area. Around 8 -10 years ago there was a project where rangers from pollok park ran a few historical walks along the waulkmill burn. they made reference to the age of the bridge near the foot of the walk, hidden behind the ashoka, as being around 4-500years old? They also had details of the bleaching fields up towards the dams. Perhaps there are some notes or references still available. I can't remember the waedens names, but he was bases in Darnley primary school for a while taking the kids on field trips around the burn and pond.

Thanks for that information udrigle. I will try and find out who the Ranger was and ask him for the details. If he is happy to pass this information on to me I will post it up.

Hope to be able to get post up some information on the plans for Dams to Darnley Country Park soon.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Waulkmill Glen

Postby PATRICA1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:41 pm

I remember Mr Winkler we worked at the Kennomeat in barrhead He was a german prisoner of war very tall and he stayed in parkhouse farm (Istayed in parkhouse rd at the time )last I seen him was in barrhead an old man but he still remembered me,also all that ground was lord darnleys and it was used as a firing range I still have the maps somewhere,It was the proving range for Martini henry rifle The one that won the zulu wars in africa,Ian.
PATRICA1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm

PATRICA1 wrote: all that ground was lord darnleys and it was used as a firing range I still have the maps somewhere,It was the proving range for Martini henry rifle The one that won the zulu wars in africa,Ian.

except this one

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John.M » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:55 am

Seen a piccie of this house on the eastrenfrewshire heritage site

http://www.portaltothepast.co.uk/herita ... size=large

John.M
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Chopper » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:42 pm

This is the same house. You can see the dyke with the curved copes that line the road up to the dams. In an earlier post under another non-de-plume Hoey St I mistyped the date of the bridge on nitshill road that crosses the Brock Burn. Instead of 1949 it should have said 1749. This bridge was widened in the early seventies and the stone with the date inscribed on it was engulfed in the new enlarged bridge. I recall this distinctly as I dug the dirt and grime from the inscribed stone whilst sitting on the bridge in a moment of self reflection. I always was a complicated guy.
Chopper
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby davyb1330 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:58 pm

i was wondering if you knew anything about the small building known as the dungeons just before you reach the dams? if you walk passed the remains of the old house and keep walking just before you reach the dams there is a set of steps on the right hand side which takes you down to a small building and what could be old dungeons next to the waterfall do you have any idea what this used to be as my daughter thinks it's haunted dungeons ::): !!
davyb1330
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Kennedy Heroin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:24 pm

This bit?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/billybollockchops/412905189/

There is definitely running water under the floorboards (well, there was 2 years ago when I took the photo anyway) so any dungeon occupants will have met a watery end. The building is the same style as the ones up on the dams proper so it was almost definitely built at the same time as the rest of the complex.
Kennedy Heroin
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Chopper » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:50 pm

The "dungeons " were part of the water treatment system. They functioned as a sort of overflow system I think. years ago you could see inside where there are two large pipes which carried water into the two "ponds" which are covered over now. Looking at the picture you can see the ponds have been boarded over. If you do a wee bit more exploring you should find a dry stone tunnel behind the round tower which goes directly to the burn. Its about 50 metres in length and i once crawled up it. Talk about freudian !

If you go back up to the road at the sharp curve there is a dyke running at an angle up to the top road. Up there in at the back of the actual water works a similar treatment system existed and there were a number of similar ponds, bigger but shallower. I repaired some of the dykes up there in the mid seventies and had a laugh the whole summer. The place was spick and span then and the guy in charge was a Pole i think. One of the "water board" workers used to drive his own red sports car up there.

There was a old mine down at the burn which we used to go inside for at least a hundred metres. Coal seams were visible. In fact one fuy and his kids from South Nitshill used to mine their own coal.
Chopper
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby davyb1330 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 pm

yes thats the very place, thanks very much for the information.
davyb1330
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby davyb1330 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:43 pm

meant to ask whereabouts was the old mine?
davyb1330
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Chopper » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:35 am

If you walk along the course of the burn downstream from the high waterfall its on your left side about 50 metres from the base of the falls. Its about 4-5 metres above the burns level. Usually a very muddy area. On entering the tunnel it runs in a straight line and then turns sharply to the left and begins to rise. Up in this section are /were small incuts where you can find the coal. The coal was very dense and in thin seams. The tunnel is very dangerous and there is no way i would contemplate going inside it nowadays. If and why it was ever worked is a mystery as its very location would make it difficult to economically get the coal out of the glen. It could have been a test pit.

The whole area is quite interesting from a local historical perspective. At the curling pond, which I recall being free of the brambles that have engulfed it, there is in situ an old single stone slab bridge which spans the outlet from the curling pond. It is supported underneath by dry stone walls.This would date from the time the curling pond was built. It could well be Glasgow's oldest intact bridge.

Further up towards the ruins of the House can be seen a few dry built stone water channels flowing from the house towards the burn. On the west side of the house a natural spring is detectable and these channels could be connected to this. Close by nearer the burn are a number of marker stones with the letter D or P engraved on each. The marker stones are of dressed stone and would have been purchased from a stone mason/sculptor. There is a similar mark on one of the lintels in Darnley Mill Farm which could be evidence that Darnley Mill Farm was built with stone taken from the original Darnley House. I went to the museum at the back of South Nitshill with this information as i thought it would be of interest to any local historian. I was basically ignored and no-one seemed interested in this information.
Chopper
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alex Glass » Fri May 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)