Springboig: Des res or deathtrap?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Springboig: Des res or deathtrap?

Postby Alan L » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:27 pm

I'm giving serious consideration to buying a flat in Springboig but would appreciate a bit of advice on the area from you friendly chaps before going ahead with it.

I viewed the place tonight and really liked it but I hope to get along to see both the flat and the surrounding area during daylight tomorrow.

The big selling point for me is that it's close to Shettleston station allowing me to get both into town, where I work and go out, and to Coatbridge, where my parents and many of my friends live, in 10 mins. I doubt I'd be doing much in the local area other then using Tesco's and the local shops.

Anyways, I know Shettleston nerby has it's moments so would just like to know if there's anything I should keep my eye out for in terms of vandalism/drugs/theft etc. I can put up with a bit of noise but not much else.

Cheers. :)
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:33 pm

Did you go tae the andy?
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:37 pm

The Andy? Is that a local boozer or something?

As an outsider that means nowt to me. :P
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Springboig: Des res or deathtrap?

Postby red_kola » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 pm

Alan L wrote:I'm giving serious consideration to buying a flat in Springboig but would appreciate a bit of advice on the area from you friendly chaps before going ahead with it.

Dunno. Jusy how many Asians and Eastern Europeans is too many for you?
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:11 pm

Where the hell did I say that?

Allison Street is reknowned for being a area where immigrants first settle when moving to Glasgow. I work beside a load of folk from Govanhill who told me of the history of the place when I first mentioned that I was moving there.

Irish folk arrived first, hence local pubs like Kelly's, O'Connells etc. still being predominately Celtic boozers. In the 60's many of the Irish people moved on and were replaced by Asians. Now there are a load of Eastern Europeans there, unless I imagined the languages and accents I heard whilst walking around the area.

How anyone can interpret my post on the other thread as racist or sectarian is beyond me. Get a bloody grip.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:25 pm

I work in the John Wheatley College. Although I don't know what like the place is at night I have never had any bother during the day. Even with the pupils from Eastbank Academy during lunch time. I must admit I just avoid going to the shops when the school is on a break but that is just to avoid the que.

Where is the house you viewed. I know that like most areas parts of Springboig does have its problem areas. The fact that the train station is near is a major selling point. Some of the houses in Springboig are really nice. It is close to Sandyhills, one of the better areas in Shettleston.

I think it is a good idea to have a look at the place during the day.

I like Shettleston and have enjoyed working there for the past 8 years.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:31 pm

Alan L wrote:Where the hell did I say that?

I was unable to tell just how pejorative your words were when stereotyping an entire area of Glasgow. If they were meant as innocently as you now say so then I apologise.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Caltonboy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:32 pm

shettleston is cool, springboig is good too

the east end is ok, at least you know what youre getting, unlike byres rd. etc where no-one is sure who they really are.
Caltonboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alan L » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:00 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Where is the house you viewed. I know that like most areas parts of Springboig does have its problem areas. The fact that the train station is near is a major selling point. Some of the houses in Springboig are really nice. It is close to Sandyhills, one of the better areas in Shettleston.

Barlanark Place, just off the wee square at Shettleston station. It's a tenement flat.

Fair do's red kola btw.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:20 pm

Hi Alan

That would be Budhill Square ;)

These are fairly new flats then. I haven't heared anyone complain about this part and know someone who moved there from Shettleston Road. She likes her wee house which is near the bottom of this estate.

There are a few local pubs but I don't know what they are like. Although on Shettleston Road is the Kirkhouse which was recently renovated and it looks very good. They do. Quite good lunches.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:45 pm

Cheers. :)

I'm looking forward to having a wee wander round the area at daytime. It sounds OK to me.

Is the Kirkhouse on Shettleston Road heading towards Ballieston? The name seems vaguely familiar.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:53 pm

Yes Alan

Facing onto Killin Street.

I forgot to say if you have a search on this site I have posted a photo of the Budhill Square park taken from the bridge at the station. I am sure I have posted a couple of photos of the station as well.

One is on a topic about play parks and another on the longest day and can't remeber the other topic it could be trains or stations.

I also posted a couple in the last couple of weeks of places in Shettleston, Clocks, Murals and past present.

Have a search and see.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:26 pm

I live nearby, had family living in Shettleston in sight of the square and the station, and had friends in Springboig itself. I walk and shop in the area, and do so up to 10 pm and haven't had any hassle, but then again, I'm not part of any group/gang/sect or similar.

As Alex will probably concur, the area is a pet of the media, who enjoy nothing more that plastering headlines and titles all over their pages if there a report about deprivation, poverty, gangs or crime. I doubt the place is really much worse than anywhere else. Actually, there are places not too far away I wouldn't walk into in daytime, let alone up to 10 pm.

The mythology has to be encountered to be believed. A friend came over to work on the premises of a local estate agent a few months ago. When he offered to work through the night to avoid disrupting the business, this was refused outright as the owner said he always got himself and his staff out, and the place locked up before 6 pm to avoid danger from the locals. From talking to the boss, my friend reckoned the boss saw only the publicity on the TV/papers, and believed the streets were occupied by fighting, knife-wielding gangs at night.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Agree 100% with Apollo.

This area is not as bad as the media would like us to believe. When quoting statistics the media forget that the Shettleston Scottish Parliamentary Constituency includes, Parkhead, Tollcross, Dalmarnock, Bridgeton, Calton, Oatlands, Gorbals and Govanhill. Some of the poorest areas in Glasgow if not Scotland. To have poor health does not mean you have all social problems although many areas do have pockets where anti social behaviour is a problem. Not everyone from the area is bad. Just like not everyone in the West End is good.

I use to walk to work every morning through Greenfield, Shettleston and Tollcross and do the return journey at night. Not once did I encounter any problems.

I have walked from Shettleston to Parkhead to Bridgeton to Gorbals and then to the City Centre early evening on a Friday many times and don't have any scares. Most people in the East End are the best you will meet.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:04 pm

Alex Glass wrote:There are a few local pubs but I don't know what they are like. Although on Shettleston Road is the Kirkhouse which was recently renovated and it looks very good. They do. Quite good lunches.

The pipe Rack was ok in it's day. Even the skin heads were friendly. don't know what it's like now.

"Bury me ahent the Kirkhoose"
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)