Renting Flats in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Renting Flats in Glasgow

Postby marginalwalker » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:34 pm

I'm looking for a flat in the west end. I can afford £450 a month.
Last edited by marginalwalker on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby elgee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:46 pm

The westend housing can be expensive but loads of amenities, access to citycentre, public transport, pubs etc but I have heard that Dennistoun is up n coming n the southside has loads of nice areas. but for that money could you not buy ? maybe in a not so salubrious area but you could probably get an ex council flat for yer money.
meantime heres a couple of sites to try http://www.sealestateagents.co.uk and http://www.fineholm.co.uk
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:35 pm

It was just a thought, if you bought ex council in out of town suburb it would get you on the "property ladder" but best of luck anyway
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:06 pm

You'll be struggling to get anywhere for £450 p/m in the West End.

You should be able to find somewhere on the Southside for that, in Shawlands, Cathcart, Langside, Mount Florida or thereabouts. Queen's Park, Crosshill and Govanhill are cheaper but are a bit hit and miss.

I paid £325 per month on Allison St. I loved being so close to Queen's Park itself and only being 10 mins walk from Shawlands and 25 from the city centre, but unfortunately my close and street were full of halfwits. I could probably have rented in a nicer street nearby for £375 or so.

Dennistoun would probably be decent also, although I've never lived there. The rents might be pushed up due to the Royal being nearby though.

I used Citylets to find my place however I think they use the same listings as s1. Maybe Gumtree might be worth a pop.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:37 pm

I used to live on Allison Street too.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby weasler » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:11 pm

I have a friend who rents a flat on St vincent street for £450pm he got the flat through http://www.alexanders-west.co.uk/. I also work with someone who will be looking for a new tennent real soon for a flat in Kent Rd with parking for the same price. I will post some details for you tomorrow.

Weasler.
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby weasler » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:19 am

Marginalwalker.
I was talking to my work collegue, and they are looking for a tennant as of today for the flat on Kent road(right behind the Mitchell Library), although she idicated that the flat was 475 per month, but got the feeling that this was negotiable.

The flat is furnished, with the usual suite, bed, table etc, but this can be removed if required. If you are interested call 07717661703 (anne). The ToLet sign will be going up today.
weasler
First Stripe
First Stripe

ok

Postby yourebarred » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:17 pm

never EVER rent from Property Inc. thieves and liars. Or Andy Lal at H and V Properties. or a guy called Steven Ellis.
these guys are out to screw people over. decent folk who pay their council tax and bills etc, who get no help with maintenance and then get screwed for their deposit. i'd recommend to anyone renting to keep your last months rent instead of waiting for a deposit...
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alan L » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:20 pm

Field Marshall Shug wrote:I used to live on Allison Street too.

Nae luck.

It's rather, ahem, "lively" down there, eh? :oops:
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:24 pm

I was living there (Allison Street) and I was reading the biography of one of the RUC men who died in the big Chinook crash on the Mull of Kintyre. He was talking about the time he helped arrest the Brighton Bomber and it gave the address; it was accross the road on Allison Street.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:34 pm

By bizarre coincidence, I was in Brighton last weekend and stayed just along the road from the Grand Hotel. How spooky is that? ::):

Bearing in mind the traditional footballing leanings of the surrounding area, at least before Asians and now Eastern Europeans moved in, I'm not surprised that an IRA man sought refuge there.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:36 pm

Alan L wrote:By bizarre coincidence, I was in Brighton last weekend and stayed just along the road from the Grand Hotel. How spooky is that? ::):

Bearing in mind the traditional footballing leanings of the surrounding area, at least before Asians and now Eastern Europeans moved in, I'm not surprised at a IRA man sought refuge there.

Idiot
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alan L » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:40 pm

Socceroo wrote:
Alan L wrote:By bizarre coincidence, I was in Brighton last weekend and stayed just along the road from the Grand Hotel. How spooky is that? ::):

Bearing in mind the traditional footballing leanings of the surrounding area, at least before Asians and now Eastern Europeans moved in, I'm not surprised at a IRA man sought refuge there.

Idiot

Care to explain?

Would it really surprise you if dodgy pararmilitary chaps on either side of the divide on the run were shored up in, for example, Royston or Bridgeton?

Edited as that made no sense.
Last edited by Alan L on Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:55 pm

Let's all be cool and not take things the wrong way.

I am doing a lot of research into NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and a lot of it is to do with communication breakdown, ala Led Zep. Someone will say something and someone else will...well anyway, communication breakdown etc.

If only Bono were still alive, he would sort it all out.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:31 pm

Can we get out of the jingoism and back into renting flats please.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)