Empire Exhibition, 1938

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Dugald » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:16 pm

Nodrog, Brickwall. Marvellous pictures, I enjoyed them all! When I look at the magnificence of Glasgow's Empire Exhibition, clearly evident in this great collection of pictures on this site, I think to myself: wow, did we really build all of that stuff away back in 1938! What an exhibition...
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:59 pm

Aye Dugald. They wanted 20 million to turn up; in the end a mere 12 million. Not too bad in my reckoning!
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:43 am

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before but this is a nice overlay of the exhibition.

http://www.gearthhacks.com/dlfile14118/ ... ,-1938.htm

Cheers

Dave
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:30 pm

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/disp ... 39.0.0.php

THE finishing touches are being put to the recreation of a world-famous architectural landscape from Glasgow's past as part of a new £146,000 tourist attraction.

Art experts have nearly finished the project to reconstruct a 3D version of the Empire Exhibition.

The spectacular show of 150 buildings attracted huge crowds of 12,593,000 to Bellahouston Park over just six months in 1938.

Its 21st century recreation, being designed by experts at Glasgow School of Art, should be up-and-running by April and will go on show in the park's House for an Art Lover.
advertisement

And the £146,000 attraction, which will be viewed using a bank of computers, will also be used as a teaching tool for city schools.

David Leslie, chairman of charity House for an Art Lover Ltd which runs the Charles Rennie Mackintosh building in Bellahouston Park, said: "It is exciting and fits in with our mission to stimulate art, design and architecture in the park.

"The Empire Exhibition is also a vital part of the history of Bellahouston and Glasgow. The 3D version will be viewed through computers within a dedicated room which I very much hope will become an online education resource."

Ian Johnston, heading up the design team at the art school, said: "We will recreate the whole of the exhibition and put in animated scenes so people can walk up and down the streets and get really involved.

"It is possible to do anything with this reconstruction, for example people could climb the famous Glasgow Tower and look out across the exhibition.

"Really, our only limitation is maintaining historical accuracy - and the imagination of our design team. Unfortunately, no complete record of what was built remains because many of the original drawings have been lost."

To reconstruct the exhibition, the design team sourced old photographs and consulted a panel of architectural experts.

This is the second historical reconstruction the art school is working on.

The recreation of Clydebank's John Brown shipyard, as reported recently in the Evening Times, will be another tourist attraction on top of the Titan Crane when it opens in May.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:47 pm

Some 3D images of the so called digitaly recreated Empire Exhibition.

Hmmmmmm. :?

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Empire Exhibition, 1938

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:06 pm

The virtual recreation is up and running now.. looks good :)

http://www.empireexhibition1938.org.uk/
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Dugald » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:13 pm

crusty_bint wrote:The virtual recreation is up and running now.. looks good :) http://www.empireexhibition1938.org.uk/

CB, it's a superb array of pictures; a real trip back in time and I enjoyed them all... even the "crazy house"! It's a must for anyone with any interest in Glasgow's Empire Exhibition.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:14 pm

A colleague went to the launch of the temporary 3D ehibit at the House for an Art Lover yesterday and is raving about it. Sounds like it is worth a visit.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:58 pm

Went to the lecture about this (and art deco in general) at the GFT last night, and it was marvellous. If you haven't been on the official website of the 3-D computer model yet, go to the image gallery here:

http://www.empireexhibition1938.co.uk/h ... llery.html

I don't remember them being there when it first launched, but there are now some large colour images in the gallery which are absolutely stunning when you click on them for full-size versions.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:11 am

gap74, Looked at the image gallery and will make sure my Dad gets to see it when he gets back from Glasgow.
My Dad was about 14 years old when the Exhibition was on. I gather it made an impact on him as he talks about it
quite a lot and likes to look it up on Google at the library.
Talking of the Empire Exhibition you can imagine my surprise when I went to a local church antique sale several years ago and spotted what is like a silk piece of cloth with an image of the event printed on it.
I bought it intending to give it to my Dad but ended up keeping it as he was always saying he had too many bits and pieces round his house. Have it in a drawer as it is not all that big and wonder if I should get it framed.
Often wonder if I should get it valued soon or just wait till I am 80+ and take it to an Antique Roadshow.
Not sure how it ended up in Belfast and expect that might have been an interesting story.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:51 am

Gap74, I've just finished having another look at all these superb pictures of the "Exhibition"... what a great contribution to this site! The pictures are so clear and distinct one feels like one could stretch the arm a wee bit and touch the things. In looking at the pictures of the mock-up of the Scottish village I was pleasantly reminded of a wee bit of 'local' controversy at the time: The name of the mock-up village was "Clachan" and it was supposed to have been a replica of the village of that name on the Kintyre peninsula. Whether it was or wasn't I don't know, but I can recall my chuchter relatives arguing about it.

Hey folks, if you haven't taken a look at these pictures take one now and you'll feel good about the great stuff Glasgow is capable of!
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby Sunflower » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:12 pm

viceroy wrote:
The Clachan Bar on Paisley Road West just down from Cessnock takes its name of course from the Clachan Inn at the Exhibition.

And here it is - or was - established 1838
Dynamo wrote:The Clachan has to be one of the worst, most indimidating, dodgiest, skankiest dens of iniquity in the world.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:26 pm

This is one of Valentine’s “Art Colour” postcards. The image is from an original water colour by Brian Gerald. Behind the restaurant stands Tait’s Tower (or the Empire Tower as it was officially called) and on the right a glimpse of the pavilions on the flat ground south of Bellahouston Hill.

The postcard was sent from Aberdeen on December 24th 1938 – nearly two months after the Exhibition closed – addressed to a Miss Adair, 584 Crow Road, Glasgow W3. This is the message written on the back of the card:

“Dear Ina

This is a picture I send you in case you should cease to remember the things you can’t forget! I hope it recalls pleasant recollections.
I arrived safely – winter sunshine and clear skies. Hoping you enjoyed a happy Christmas.
The Season’s Greetings,
Alex.”

I wonder what he’s referring to in the first sentence!
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu May 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu May 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Mori
Third Stripe