Just found this, may be of interest.

http://www.cat-flap.demon.co.uk/gasworks.htm

David.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby birdie » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:05 pm

Just to add some info here.

Provan Gasworks is 520 yards long and is remarkable because both North and South portals face west, as the the railway turned 180 degrees in the tunnel. The North portal was still open Oct 2003, however the South portal has long disappeared under landscaping in the gasworks complex. It is possible to walk right up to a brick wall inside the tunnel, approx 500 yards in.

RE. Davids' map extract

This tunnel was called Provanmill and was 85 yards long. It allowed the old line from Maryhill to Rutherglen to pass under the line to Buchannan Street (now the present day line from Cumbernauld to Springburn). It was obliterated by the M80 construction. Those who travel to Glasgow via the M80 should note that when they pass under the railway (that big red steel bridge, before you join the M 8), this was the exact location of the tunnel....the landscape has changed so much, it's hard to even imagine what is was like.

Birdie (keen tunnel explorer)
Last edited by birdie on Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
birdie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby james73 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:28 pm

birdie wrote:Just to add some info here.

Provan Gasworks is 520 yards long and is remarkable because both North and South portals face west, as the the railway turned 180 degrees in the tunnel. The North portal was still open Oct 2003, however the South portal has long disappeared under landscaping in the gasworks complex. It is possible to walk right up to a brick wall inside the tunnel, approx 500 yards in.

RE. Davids' map extract

This tunnel was called Provanmill and was 85 yards long. It allowed the old line from Maryhill to Rutherglen to pass under the line to Buchannan Street (now the present day line from Cumbernauld to Springburn). It was obliterated by the M80 construction. Those who travel to Glasgow via the M80 should note that when they pass under the railway (that big red steel bridge, before you join the M8), this was the exact location of the tunnel....the landscape has changed so much, it's hard to even imagine what is was like.

Birdie (keen tunnel explorer)

8O That's quite enough of that - I'm the rail bore around here... :wink:

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby birdie » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:52 pm

Sorry, I've just discovered the forum. Superb work and exploration. Keep it going...

Birdie.
birdie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Germiston/Garngad tunnels, tardis, tower, quarry

Postby germistonguy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:02 am

germistonguy wrote:Hello my first post here. I grew up in Germiston/Garngad over 25 years ago, now in England. I noticed obvious changes in recent visits. More curious about what was there rather than what is 'hidden' I heard the gasworks are to be no more? Is this worthy of investigation/taking photographic records? There is/was a semicircular tunnel running from Darnick Street under Germiston to gasworks. Portal may now be partly filled in? A quarry area called "the gemmy". May now be an industrial estate. There was a small tower there on the gemmy between Royston Road and small Railway track, what was tower used for? There was/is an old abandoned? road/path runs across gas works from Royston Road to Blochairn Road with old sign referring to workers cottages. Does anyone remember cottages on Gemmy which caught fire late 60s early 70s. There was an old piggery next to railway line and a railway cottage up on Royston Road bridge, on opposite side from what would have been Garngad station MANY years ago. Also on that spot by Glenconner park was a blue 'tardis' police box, now gone. Iam too far away to investigate/photograph this little corner of Glasgow. Anyone else fancy having a look round??

Long time since I posted. Any updates on the germiston/garngad areas. Thanks
:D
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:11 am

JamesH wrote: 8O That's quite enough of that - I'm the rail bore around here... :wink:

......Bet you I could out bore anyone on the topic of railways!!!!
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby drjrd2000 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:24 pm

Apologies for hi-jacking this thread, but it seems daft to start a new one.

I'm researching the history of Garngad Station and the railway links to Provan Gasworks and Blochairn Ironworks, but am having trouble finding any information or pictures.

Looking at the OS maps from 1896(ish) the station was clearly located on the north side of Royston Road bridge, with a ticket office on the bridge and two covered stairways heading down to the platforms. The platforms are islands, with the main railway lines between them and freight lines for the gasworks, steelworks and goods yard running behind them.

I have been told that the station remained open for unadvertised worker's trains to Singer and Govan until the 50s. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm asking because the 1932 map shows that the ticket office and stairways have been removed from the bridge. Of the two photos that I know of showing the station, one is from the early 60s (in An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways) and shows no platforms. The other picture is here, but it is difficult to make out if the actual station is still there or not.

Has anyone got any better information? Also, pictures showing the Royston Road and Blochairn Road bridges would be much appreciated.

James
drjrd2000
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby tarzan-bridge » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:20 am

I assume the station was where the coal/goods yard was in the 60's, right on the corner of Blochairn and Royston Rds, if my memory serves.
Trains were still being unloaded there in 1968. There was an overhead mobile crane with a grab and I went for a job operating it.
Didn't get the start, £6 a week as well. :(
tarzan-bridge
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re:

Postby alastairfraser » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:39 pm

My Kitten wrote:Thanks James, thought I was havering a bit with the old memory. :)

Does anyone know anything about the grass at the Royston Road side of the gasworks. I remember standing there and seeing what looked like the remains of entrance walls to houses. Not been down that way for years though so it might be gone now.

I am new to this site which i must say is excellent, i was brought up in germiston and i remember well the grassy area on Royston road at the gassworks side.
The houses you are referring to was prefab houses which wre demolished i think on the late 60s or 70s, hope this helps
alastairfraser
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alycidon » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Garngad passenger station closed on 1st March 1910 as par of the NB/GSWR cutbacks in the face of increasing competition from the electric trams. The goods station remained open until 3rd October 1966 for general goods, remaining open as private sidings for a while later. The sidings are shown in place in the 1968 OS map but have gone by the 1975 maps.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:16 am

The great thing about the trams was the open door at the back. If you saw a car coming and you were halfway between two stops, you could sprint after that tram (if you were fit) and once your hand clamped round that pole in the middle of the open doorway, you knew you'd caught it. A wee jump and you were on. Nae bother at aw! That was the great thing - the open doorway! I was sickened when the buses took over and you couldn't get on without standing at a bus stop
in a queue and waiting for a door to open.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Glasgow buses after the trams.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects