Glasgow's Commonwealth Games Bid: 2014

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby gordon » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:20 pm

adoniram wrote:Wrong place,wrong forum,wrong people......sorry guys but on reflection this isn't the correct forum to get results.

Well, few internet forums are, to be perfectly honest.

Pity though, i was looking forward to some far reaching conspiracy reaching to the heart of government.
Malcolm Tucker is always right.
gordon
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Dalmarnock - Site of the proposed Athletes Village

Postby tobester » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:28 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Image

If we're unsuccessful then it'll be another Tesco
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:45 pm

It really is a shame that some people are so negative even when there is the chance of bringing something good to the city.

Given the number of houses that will be required for the Athletes Village there will be a requirement for services - including shops.

Many of the larger estates in Glasgow had a lack of shops when they were built. It appears when you don't include these things you get criticised and when you do you also get criticised.

The East End needs regenerating. If we get the Commonwealth Games it will aid this regeneration. Is that really a bad thing.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:33 pm

Alex Glass wrote:The East End needs regenerating. If we get the Commonwealth Games it will aid this regeneration. Is that really a bad thing.

Not at all.

What happens if we dont get the games though?

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:04 pm

james73 wrote:
Alex Glass wrote:The East End needs regenerating. If we get the Commonwealth Games it will aid this regeneration. Is that really a bad thing.

Not at all.

What happens if we dont get the games though?

James H

Councillors will just have to find a new 'goal' so they can continue to go on fact-finding junkets :wink:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:21 pm

[quote="Alex Glass"]
Many of the larger estates in Glasgow had a lack of shops when they were built. [/quote]

So, if it not too naive of me to ask, why are the council not finally, completely addressing the problems this caused before starting a new project costing so much. Also, if is is acknowledged that some of the problems experienced by the larger estates were due in part to lack of shops among other amenities why are the council allowing the large "out of town" retail parks to become the norm thus threatening the livelihood of any local shops still around ?
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:16 pm

elgee wrote:
Alex Glass wrote:Many of the larger estates in Glasgow had a lack of shops when they were built.

So, if it not too naive of me to ask, why are the council not finally, completely addressing the problems this caused before starting a new project costing so much. Also, if is is acknowledged that some of the problems experienced by the larger estates were due in part to lack of shops among other amenities why are the council allowing the large "out of town" retail parks to become the norm thus threatening the livelihood of any local shops still around ?

Councils are fairly powerless when it comes to opposing major developments.

The problems associated with shops in schenmes have changed. See drumchapel, Easterhouse and castlemilk shopping centres. We will see what acn ghappen when pollok re opens.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

The Word on the Street

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:17 pm

Socceroo wrote:Sounds like a job for Aquaman!

unforunately we have a less than informed Johnny the Snitch.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby elgee » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:48 pm

Dexter I do see Drumchapel shopping centre every day and it is an eye sore :( If you mean the Junction on Great Western Road, that is on the very outskirts of the estate and is not easily accessible unless you have a car, are young and fit, able to walk a distance or take a taxi.
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:30 pm

The shopping centre in Drumchapel used to be quite good until the bigger shops went and the the whole thing went down the pan.
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby adoniram » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:36 pm

Au contraire.Very informed but i have my reasons for not posting here. :wink:

All will come out eventually and when it does you'll see that the Games are but a smokescreen for people to pull the wool over the publics eyes.
adoniram
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby hazy » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:42 pm

adoniram wrote:Au contraire.Very informed but i have my reasons for not posting here. :wink:

All will come out eventually and when it does you'll see that the Games are but a smokescreen for people to pull the wool over the publics eyes.

WOOOOO a conspiracy theorist. Excelenct . Cmon start a rhumour.
I heard the land will get used for a space landing pad as area 51 is now over populated. With all the humanoids from that particular area of the east end of Glasgow being disperced to the north and west of Glasgow to new and better houses. They did put up a struggle to stay in their damp dreach rat infested dwellings but the the power of the dollar was to over whelming. Remember though it,s just a rhoumer. PS could some body buy me a word book , ahm shit at spelling. ::):
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:17 pm

All the periferal estates where build and had a selection of small local shops.

It was some years later that larger shopping centres were built. I think originally owned by the Council and later sold.

Easterhouse, Drumchapel, Springburn, Goval and Pollok all had shopping centres built many years after the houses.

When the Council got out of the shopping centres some new developers built places like
Parkhead Forge, The Fort, Great Western Road(Drumchapel) and now Silverburn.

People need to have places to shop. They can't all be one your doorstep but should be able to serve a much larger area.

To annswer James's question. Much of what is planned as part of the Commonwelth Games bit will go ahead even if we don't get the games. The houses that will be built in Dalmarnock will be owned by the GHA and form part of it's core stock.

The improved facilities at Scotstoun and Tollcross together with the new Indoor Sports Arena will be there for everyone to enjoy long after the games are finished or if we fail in our bid.

It is a shame that not everyone feels that the Games will benefit Glasgow. Only time will tell.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:38 pm

Gaun yersell Alex ahm right behind you.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:37 pm

I was in Munich last year for the World Cup and saw how much it meant/brought to the city and not just in financial terms: talk of a"new German spirit" wasn't bullshit.
My son lives in Melbourne and he said that he saw the same effect there during the Commonwealth Games. I'd like that for my home town - and it is my home town, not the Council's and certainly not the Labour Party's.
The difference though between Munich/Melbourne and Glasgow is, for me, that they're both already prosperous, successful cities. Glasgow, by contrast, is trying to rebuild itself (again) on the back of a major event. Remember the Garden Festival? What about the Great Eastern Area Renewal project of the 1980s, said to have created less than one hundred jobs after almost twenty years?
I'm old enough to remember the day before yesterday and I have no confidence in the abilities of a Labour-lead council to pull this off. (By the way, that's not an endorsement of the conspiracy nonsense above.)
Silly me, I've just realised that the Council will, of course, bring in "consultants" to do the work.

Le durachd,
Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)