Great Western Road

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:51 am

It was on top of the old St George's Co-Operative Building on St Georges Road - invisible in this picture of Clarendon Place. However if you were to go there now - where the above picture is, bear right and you would have come across the Metropole Theatre (now gone) and roughly diagonally accross from that was where the building was. Sitting here doing it from memory is proving to be a challenge.

St George's Road - right hand side if going towards the 'round toll'.
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:25 pm

youngmckellar wrote:I keep getting told the St George statue used to be mounted on a building round about here, any ideas where exactly?

Consulted a few of my dusty old books and found that the statue, sculpted by J&G Mossman 1897 at a cost of £100, was originally mounted on the St. George Co-operative Society's building (sadly, but predictably demolished in 1985). EDIT: apologies, Delmont St Xavier
got there first!

It was presented to the city by the Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd in 1988 as a freestanding public monument as part of a comprehensive 'streetscape' environmental improvement project costing £250,000. The statue was unveiled by Lord Provost Susan Baird on 9 November 1988. The railings were taken from a public lavatory which formerly stood on the site

The statue was daubed in paint after England's exit from Italia '90 (see SCRAN for photos).

I'm positive I have a photo of the statue being removed from its original position somewhere, but I can't find it. Will keep looking.

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:03 pm

What a treat to see these photos - any more? I've got a few of the Co-op building and the Cross which I'll add when one of the weans comes by to show me how to use photobucket again!
Meanwhile, look at the top-left of the aerial shot, there is a building reflecting the light. The Co-op building is the white building to the left of that; opposite that is the old Metropole theatre.
I was at the Scottish Theatre Archive just this morning to have a look through their Metropole Theatre colection.

Le durachd,

Dimairt
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tommytank » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:11 pm

this may be slightly off topic but it is just around the corner. The mansions on the corner of Woodlands Rd and St georges road (still standing for now!),What were they originally used/built for? :?
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:12 pm

red_kola wrote:Probably the Granville / Gem Cinema.

(thanks Nodrog)

Nice view from one's kitchen windae :roll:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:19 pm

HollowHorn wrote:
red_kola wrote:Probably the Granville / Gem Cinema.

(thanks Nodrog)

Nice view from one's kitchen windae :roll:

And next to that building was a small stable used by the Glasgow Tramway & Omnibus Co. (sorry, that info didn't add anything ::):)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby youngmckellar » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:03 pm

Looking at James' map there seems to be quite a large blank space in the area of ground surrounded by Northwoodside Rd, Hopehill Rd, Grovepark St and Cedar Street (the area that is now Lidl, Iceland and a housing development) Does anyone know what was in this area?
youngmckellar
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby youngmckellar » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Sorry should really have added this for ease of reading.
james73 wrote:Old streetmap. It started at St Georges Cross, according to this and lead right
onto New City Road. New City Road formed a junction with Cowcaddens Street
(not Cowcaddens Road as it is now) at the location of the underpass next to the
Underground station.

James H
youngmckellar
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby glasgowken » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:36 pm

It was an industrial area with several buisnesses.

GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:34 pm

Timchilli wrote:The railings were taken from a public lavatory which formerly stood on the site

Tim

These railings?

The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:12 am

DVF wrote:
Timchilli wrote:The railings were taken from a public lavatory which formerly stood on the site

Tim

These railings?

Must be.

This seems to happen quite a bit - am I right in thinking that the railings surrounding the toilets in St Vincent Place (where all the rentboys ply their trade... so I'm told) are the same railings that were once used at the entrance to Glasgow Cross Station (designed by J.J. Burnett)?

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:41 am

Timchilli wrote:This seems to happen quite a bit - am I right in thinking that the railings surrounding the toilets in St Vincent Place (where all the rentboys ply their trade... so I'm told) are the same railings that were once used at the entrance to Glasgow Cross Station (designed by J.J. Burnett)?

Tim

Yes.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:59 am

tommytank wrote:christ, incredible to see how many tenements got whacked for the M8 to get built! How on earth did they get to do it? was it that they were all lying derelict or something ("accidental arson anyone? :wink: )? Or did they just sneakily knock them all down when everyone was at work one day?

Ever lived in a single end or room and kitchen?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tommytank » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:22 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
tommytank wrote:christ, incredible to see how many tenements got whacked for the M8 to get built! How on earth did they get to do it? was it that they were all lying derelict or something ("accidental arson anyone? :wink: )? Or did they just sneakily knock them all down when everyone was at work one day?

Ever lived in a single end or room and kitchen?

Nope (not yet anyway).Take it they were pretty slummy? :?
Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day!
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:39 am

red_kola wrote:
HollowHorn wrote:Whats that structure behind the tenement at bottom right in the arial pic? 8O

Probably the Granville / Gem Cinema.

(thanks Nodrog)

Somewhat belatedly, yep, I'd agree that it's the auditorium of the Gem. No photos of it I'm afraid.

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)