Renfrew Airport

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:31 am

That's a great Past-Present map overlay Adrian 8)

Here's a view of the northern end of the short runway 21 as seen in the top righthand of you overlay.

Modern housing covers the area today.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ChrisWoods » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:19 pm

There has been many fantastic threads on here but this get my vots as the best, some brilliant work done by those who have taken the time to study google earth and overlay where the Airport lay.

I have a book somewhere entitled Glasgow's Airports, I'll try and look it out and break my scanning / posting pictures cherry
ChrisWoods
First Stripe
First Stripe

Renfrew Airport

Postby Socceroo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:49 pm

I completely forgot all about this wee thread, i really enjoyed contributing to it last year and i enjoyed reading back through every one's posts today.

With some photograph permissions put in place, someone could do a really good wee booklet on Renfrew Airport, there is so much history to it and it's connections with serving the Glasgow area for many years.

A trawl through the newspaper archives throws up so many articles and photo's of the Airport, with many dignitaries, celebrities and sportsmen of the day photographed there.

It was a very aesthetically pleasing building, i would have loved to have seen the Terminal building before it was destroyed.

I look forward to seeing your scanned photo's Chris.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ChrisWoods » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:17 pm

I'll try and dig the book out tonight.
ChrisWoods
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby adrianwalker » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:19 am

Thank you so much - I am delighted that it proved of interest. I was so pleased to see this thread - Renfrew and the spotting I did on Friday evenings when my Father took us out there on the tube and the bus is one of the best memories of my childhood.

I really appreciated your aerial photo of the button of runway 21 - it really shows the detail of the runway relative to the roads to the north, where our bus took us past the field.

I liked your angled view from Google - nice touch!

Pgcc93 wrote:That's a great Past-Present map overlay Adrian 8)

Here's a view of the northern end of the short runway 21 as seen in the top righthand of you overlay.

Modern housing covers the area today.
Last edited by adrianwalker on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian Walker
Vancouver, BC, Canada
adrianwalker
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby adrianwalker » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:23 am

Thank you Chris! You're too kind. I had superb fun putting this together, and have to thank my Father for looking out this map for me, one which I remember from ages ago.

I am really looking forward to what your book reveals - thank you for being willing to hunt for it.

I am putting together a little web site which pulls together all the text and photos I have seen posted here into a compendium of the airport's record, and will post the link here when it's done.

ChrisWoods wrote:There has been many fantastic threads on here but this get my vots as the best, some brilliant work done by those who have taken the time to study google earth and overlay where the Airport lay.

I have a book somewhere entitled Glasgow's Airports, I'll try and look it out and break my scanning / posting pictures cherry
Adrian Walker
Vancouver, BC, Canada
adrianwalker
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Renfrew Airport

Postby adrianwalker » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:25 am

Hello Socceroo - what a good idea - given the amount of stuff that all of you have put together, that would be worthwhile for all us devotees of the old airport. Something to work towards!

Socceroo wrote:I completely forgot all about this wee thread, i really enjoyed contributing to it last year and i enjoyed reading back through every one's posts today.

With some photograph permissions put in place, someone could do a really good wee booklet on Renfrew Airport, there is so much history to it and it's connections with serving the Glasgow area for many years.

A trawl through the newspaper archives throws up so many articles and photo's of the Airport, with many dignitaries, celebrities and sportsmen of the day photographed there.

It was a very aesthetically pleasing building, i would have loved to have seen the Terminal building before it was destroyed.

I look forward to seeing your scanned photo's Chris.
Adrian Walker
Vancouver, BC, Canada
adrianwalker
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby ChrisWoods » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:29 pm

Up-date, I've turned my house upside down and I can't find it, maybe at my parents house. On a mission now and won't rest until I find this book.
ChrisWoods
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby adrianwalker » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:15 pm

I came across a booklet, published in 1949, online at a bookseller's in Manchester, called "Renfrew Airport for Glasgow", so I bought it and had it shipped over. Not a lot in it - mostly a general "how an airport works" of the period, but there was an aerial, a map, a nice advertisement for the brand new Viscount 700, and a 1935 air pageant photo. So, by way of adding to our online discussion, here are the first couple.
and
Cheers ........... Adrian
Adrian Walker
Vancouver, BC, Canada
adrianwalker
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby adrianwalker » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:23 pm

And another couple. The Viscount advertisement is not related to Renfrew, so I will only post it here if you want to see it, but here's the 15 June 1935 air pageant at Renfrew taken from the control tower, and also the cover of the little booklet in question. Enjoy!
and
Cheers ............. Adrian
Adrian Walker
Vancouver, BC, Canada
adrianwalker
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Socceroo » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:31 pm

Really nice find Adrian. Interesting photographs. I particularly like the artwork on the booklet cover which has the sketch of Glasgow from the air.

The Airport sketch on the booklet cover i think shows the old RAF terminal building and tower which preceded the later terminal building, also long gone and which features prominently at the start of this thread.

Thanks for that.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby brickwall » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:44 am

A few more:

Early 30's

Top pic is 602 Sqn 1926; ones below are early 30's

Weir's Pumps Autogiro 1928

Nazi visitor, the Nazis had been mapping Glasgow since '35

Advert 1939 - short lived

Check these prices!

Timetable

Scotair - post war

Whoops! Guess where this is rail buffs

University fly by, the pilot later crashed that day in Largs -R.I.P.

Map showing new and old airports

New terminal
eh?
brickwall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:45 pm

BW, pics 2,3,5 & 12 look like the area around Babcock & Wilcox on the banks of the river Cart in Renfrew. Several of the pics show a large white circle on the ground, for what, I wonder?
If you don't mind, I'll use the Uni flypast one over on the WE nostalgia forum.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bruce1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi

I've just been looking theough this old thread with interest. In answer to the question of the book on Renfrew Airport - I had one, called "Glasgows Airport", by Dugald Cameron. I lent it to someone and unfortunately that was the last I saw of it! It's a great book, full of pictures & info on both airports.

I'll have a hunt around the internet & hopefully come across one again soon!
bruce1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby fatweegee » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:12 am

Can vividly remember the control tower for Renfrew beinging there at the side of the m'way at Deanpark until the '80's - used to go past it every Sunday between oor hoose in Govan and Grandpa's in Lochwinnoch.
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)