Glasgow's depressing streetlights

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow's depressing streetlights

Postby Timchilli » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:25 am

I have a theory.

The reason why Glasgow can often look so gloomy is down to the top-yerself-depressingly-awful streetlights. The massive, crumbling lamp posts dotted along our pavements and roadways bathe this city in a thoroughly depressing yellow/orange hue. Why? Are these coloured lightbulbs energy efficient in some way?

Regardless, something needs to be done. Some new lighting has been set up around my area recently, and it looks so much better (people on the street actually smile!). These new lights are bright and WHITE -- essential. No longer do I feel the same melancholia as I did driving home in the past.

If the City Council had any concern for its citizens, it'd clean up the decaying embarrassments that are our lamp posts and plonk in some badass white halogen bulbs.

I'm certain the number of suicides would decrease, and the moths would be happy (at least they'd keep away from my bloody kitchen lights).

...rant over.

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:31 am

There was such a plan to do away with the orange street lamps a few years back, expecteed to be completed 2005. Alas GCC decided as they were burdened with the housing debt they couldnt afford to pay the extra pennies for the white light bulbs.

There has been studies/pilots done in some areas of Glasgow. The outcome of which proved that a white light is more conducive to good living, with people feeling safer etc etc.

In the nect Council election: dont vote Labour (again)!!

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Timchilli » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:38 am

crusty_bint wrote:There was such a plan to do away with the orange street lamps a few years back, expecteed to be completed 2005. Alas GCC decided as they were burdened with the housing debt they couldnt afford to pay the extra pennies for the white light bulbs.

With the money being generated by the official accepting of asylum seekers (and I saw the official documents outlining the amount to be made), you would think that the City Council's biscuit tin would stretch to some white blubs. Maybe I'm being too idealistic... I might take it upon myself to install white lightbulbs in every streetlight I find.

crusty_bint wrote:In the nect Council election: dont vote Labour (again)!!

Never have; never will.

Tim (the white light vigilante).
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:42 am

TC, your rant is fully justified mate. How long did it take GCC to illuminate Buchanan Street though, so what chance does our wee schemes have? Totally get the point though, and when you look at all the old photos of our fair city it kinda hammers home your point also.

Anyway, atleast I know why the only reason I walk home from the city centre is........cos I'm pissed, and not cause of the superb lighting.

My rant over :) ::):
If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:49 am

Gazzathecoigne wrote:TC, your rant is fully justified mate. How long did it take GCC to illuminate Buchanan Street though, so what chance does our wee schemes have?

Good point.
I'm just thankful that our dear Lord/Lady Provosts get some sweet lighting outside their houses. They're the people who matter, not us lowly citizens.

Incidentally, how strange is it that you and I joined this forum on the same date? :!:

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:02 am

Did we? Never noticed buddy. On the subject of our good lord/lady provest, I'd like to have seen them arive at their close after the dancing 'bout 4am and notice that someone's taken the bulb out of the close?!

Aye, two chances of that eh?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:10 am

Liz Cameron deserves to be kept in the dark... in fact, Id go one step further and put a bag over her head! ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:21 am

crusty_bint wrote:Liz Cameron deserves to be kept in the dark... in fact, Id go one step further and put a bag over her head! ::):

"Need to know basis alert!"

Who's Liz Cam............ah, I get it. ::):

Oh, and agree totally also.
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:36 am

Liz with her loving family yesterday:

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:51 pm

Support the Campaign for Dark Skies which is trying to to enforce improvements to bad or poor lighting as light pollution, although now recognised, is not seen as an offence in the way that sewage etc. is.

http://www.dark-skies.org/

I may be out of date, but what you see as white street lighting is generally high pressure sodium (SOX) and although closer to white, has a peach appearance, and is usually found in modern well designed fittings. Low pressure sodium (SON) with its familiar orange light, was installed earlier for cheapness, but also suffers from poorly designed fittings that spills light in all directions. These units were installed for their relative efficiency, compare an orange streetlamp of 70 W with a 100 W white bulb from your house.

I think new installs and repairs are high pressure fittings, but geven the cost, I can't see a re-installation project appearing anytime soon.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:28 pm

I'd heard that the orange lights were installed because they caused less glare to drivers but delivered the same amount of light, as well as being cheaper to run.

Forgive me if this is drivel, I'm a bit pished just now :!: :oops: :P ::): :twisted:
The hill goes up and down.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DVF » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:34 pm

To continue the drivel, has anyone noticed the glow around these lights. The further away from the light you are, the bigger, but weaker the glow gets. All to do with angles and stuff I guess. Also the glow is stripey, in line with the angle of the bulb. :roll:
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:35 pm

DVF wrote:
Forgive me if this is drivel, I'm a bit pished just now :!: :oops: :P ::): :twisted:

lucky you,

i feel safer if there is brightly lit street at night compared to a dull one with lots of shadows - or have i been playing too much Doom 3?
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:41 am

DVF wrote:I'd heard that the orange lights were installed because they caused less glare to drivers but delivered the same amount of light, as well as being cheaper to run.

The eye should focus monochromatic better in low light than white as the pupil is wide open and depth of field is narrow. As to whether it makes a significant difference in practice... Done the cheaper bit above.

DVF wrote:To continue the drivel, has anyone noticed the glow around these lights.

Hmmm.... Can't quite picture what you're describing. Seriously, can you be more specific? I am aware that one of the symptoms of an eye related disease is the appearance of a halo or ring around point sources such as as street lights and the moon, and should be checked. Sorry.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DVF » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:23 pm

I do have astigmatism (hope I spelled that right) in both eyes. Don't think it's a disease, I just need glasses.

It is somewhat like a halo effect, but it's not a hollow ring of light as such, but filled in if you know what I mean. More of a disc of orange flickeryness. I always thought it was a constant acid flashback. I do see other effects on different types of light, like sparklyness around ordinary lightbulbs and candles and the like.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)