Searching

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Searching

Postby crusty_bint » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:42 pm

You may all have noticed a big new addition to the banner at the top of HG urging you to search the forums before you start a new topic, and if you haven't then you might want to go get something tested.

Anyway, just to enlighten you as to why this has appeared and why your shiny new thread of which you could very possibly be ever so proud has been locked and a big abrasive message posted at ya I've started this thread.

The reason is that for a number of years now HG has been plodding along and growing steadily, both in terms of members and new topics, so its inevitable that duplicate threads will appear from time to time. However, in the last few months there has been verging on one a day, and on occasion more!

Now it might not seem like a big deal but, as mentioned, for a few years now we've been asking people to have a search before they fire in with a new topic and this has been fine, but now due to the frequency of these duplicate threads and people not searching some folk are taking the hump when they are urged to search and see it as some sort of witch hunt.

The simple fact of the matter is that we've asked nicely and been patient, given gentle reminders that the search function is there to be used and should be used. But for some folk thats not enough and we're (collectively) having to resort to more drastic measures so that the mods aren't having to lock threads every day and do your searching for you!

So please don't take it personally - JUST SEARCH!!!
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby allyharp » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:23 am

Yes searching helps us all out, but sometimes I feel that it's pushed a little too hard. Especially in the face of new folk.
I know if I'd only just signed up and got some of the replies new people have got when their thread has been locked, I certainly wouldn't come back.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MadameZiggy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:06 am

I have to agree Ally.

I now don't post new threads just in case I've missed something when I've searched!

I do enjoy these forums but I have to admit I'm a bit dubious about starting of a thread of my own.
I'm too much of a wimp now!

Better to just get involved if someone else has had the guts to start off & it's been "passed" by the mods!
MadameZiggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:31 am

I'd have to agree as well.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Simba » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:11 pm

allyharp wrote:Yes searching helps us all out, but sometimes I feel that it's pushed a little too hard. Especially in the face of new folk.
I know if I'd only just signed up and got some of the replies new people have got when their thread has been locked, I certainly wouldn't come back.

Agreed. Responses like 'why don't you look on Google' etc have put me off posting in the past. It's quite harsh some of the things the regulars come out with when people ask questions.
Simba
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:23 pm

If you use the "Search for all terms" option rather than the default "Search for any terms or use query as entered" option, you'll get more accurate results.

Either that, or search the site through an advanced google search - I just did that to see if there was a photo similar to one I was considering posting. There was, so I'm not gonna bother!

It's not very hard to find what you're looking for, if you know how to look for it.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:29 pm

Ally Doll wrote:It's not very hard to find what you're looking for, if you know how to look for it.

I think that's part of the problem though, it's not a very user friendly search system.
I know I have searched for things in the past only to be told after that the thing I searched for was there somewhere.
Having said that, it does get tedious when the same old threads get started all the time.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:51 pm

Thanks for the tips Ally Doll - I've found it a struggle to find even things that I know I've already seen on the forums somewhere. I'll try the advanced Google search next time.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:38 pm

The thing that gets me most is that people have the cheek to shout "SEARCH IT" all the time while we still have a ridiculous timer on the search function.

Misspell a word and you have to wait about 30 seconds before trying again. No wonder people don't bother. :?

[edited for spelling]
[edited again for spelling (cheers HH)]
Last edited by allyharp on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:31 pm

allyharp wrote:The thing that gets me most is that people have the cheek to shout "SEARCH IT" all the time while we still have a rediculous timer on the search function.

Misspell a word and you have to wait about 30 seconds before trying again. No wonder people don't bother. :?

[edited for spelling]

Brilliant, Ally, cheered me up no end ::): :wink:
I've been skelped several times for not searching (makes me smile a rueful smile), I do now though at least attempt to search. Image
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby doonunda » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:23 am

ft
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Local Hero » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:54 am

I think that's a cracking idea doonunda. I think that would certainly help to keep the new "searched but didn't find anything. mod: here it is. locked" threads down.

IT may be open to abuse by lazy so and so's who don't even searchbut I'm sure everyone would get to recognise them and give them the bum's rush
Ah used tae be indecisive but noo ah'm nae sae sure.
Local Hero
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:58 am

allyharp wrote:The thing that gets me most is that people have the cheek to shout "SEARCH IT" all the time while we still have a ridiculous timer on the search function.

[edited for spelling]
[edited again for spelling (cheers HH)]

It was a 15 sec delay ;)

I've dropped it to 5 secs, so providing there aren't probs with flooding - and hence server load - this should make searching quicker.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby McShad » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:54 pm

There is an option to search 'topic title and message text' or 'message text only'... is it possible to add an option to search the topic titles only? (sorry if this has already been asked)
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:38 pm

It's there already...

Just select 0 in the Return first X characters of posts

Option at bottom right corner.

:wink:
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Forum Help and Issues