Merchant City set to host its 'biggest and best' festival

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Merchant City set to host its 'biggest and best' festival

Postby Mori » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:28 pm

http://www.merchantcityfestival.com/uploads/MCF.pdf
PDF programe to Down Load ^

http://www.merchantcityfestival.com/cms/page.php?p=

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5056534.html

MORE than 40,000 festival-goers are to boost Glasgow's rebirth as a centre of culture with the launch of what's been billed as the biggest and best Merchant City Festival.

The event, to be staged next month, is fast developing a reputation as one of Scotland's most up-and-coming arts extravaganzas.

This year, as part of the fifth Merchant City festival, more than 300 events will be held in 70 venues, including the newly refurbished Old Fruitmarket and City Halls

TWILIGHT tours of the Necropolis will be on offer
Last edited by Mori on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:30 pm

if you only go to see one thing at this festival, go and see jason byrne , we saw him at the fringe in edinburgh ::): ::): ::): totaly mad , but one of the funniest comedians i have ever seen , brilliant ::):
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby poisondove » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:48 pm

How do the twilight tours of the Necropolis fit into the Merchant City thing?
I would be SO game for the tour ...esp. since the fates seem to stop me at every turn from going on any of the ones that have been offered :(
poisondove
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:07 pm

poisondove wrote:How do the twilight tours of the Necropolis fit into the Merchant City thing?
I would be SO game for the tour ...esp. since the fates seem to stop me at every turn from going on any of the ones that have been offered :(

[email protected] will be able to tell you on that one Dove http://www.glasgownecropolis.org/ :)
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:28 pm

Cheers for that Mo ::):

Well... the Necropolis itself doesn't date from the period of economic and urban expansion that left us what we now consider to be the Merchant City and so you might think the link to be rather tenuous. However, the Merchants House of Glasgow has owned the site since the 17th Century (with the Necropolis being laid out in the early 1830's) and so is contemporary in that sense. It is also widely thought that the Merchants Princes are buried within the Necropolis, which you can guess, from the date provided for the foundation of the Necropolis, is a myth and one which we aim to dispell, for the Merchant Princes and Tobacco Lords are largely contained within the Ramshorn on Ingram St. Worth bearing in mind, however, is that the Necropolis does commemorate the next great expansion period in Glasgow's history and was founded as a reaction or response to the overcrowded and unsanitary conditions of the old medievil graveyards in which the Merchant Princes and Tobacco Lords had been laid to rest.

If you like, the story of the Necropolis is a continuation of the the story of the Merchant City and Glasgow's rise and rise to prosperity and it's eventual fall from the world stage.

Hope this helps :)
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby escotregen » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:17 pm

I think the Necropolis tours very well 'fit into' the Merchant festival because they are all part of the ame contemporary Glasgow cultural, social and economic renaisance thats been going on for quite some time now.

The fact that the tours are twilight really lends them to being fitted into an evening to include some pub carousing or late clubbing in the Merchant City.

Mind you there are some spooky people incolved in the Necropolis thing... people like Crusty and Ronnie 8O
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Forum Help and Issues