Problem accessing the website

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Problem accessing the website

Postby putty shankleton » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:29 pm

Hello,

Since last night I have had a problem browsing this website. I run Mozilla Firefox 0.93 and never had any problems until this one:

The file specified by the address (URL) cannot be found. Check that the file exists and that you have sufficient permissions to view it.

The URL is correct. I am having no problem with IE6 though.
putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:04 pm

Rather odd, I too am a Firefox 0.9.3 addict, but I have no problems to report.

Only complaint I had recently was the rather small x that warns of a popup, but nothing else. Well, ok, Lycos home page screws up some graphics, but that's not relevant either.

Sorry.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby putty shankleton » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:20 pm

It now seems to be working :D
putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Apollo » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:08 pm

That's the main thing.

I was looking in to drop a message my ISP fobbed me off with a while ago when I reported a similar problem to them, that may be worth bearing in mind. Thay claimed that dependent on the combination of browser and connection I was using at any given time, a different DNS would be used for my target site, and that was why I could connect freely with one system, but not another running at the same time.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:18 pm

Frankly that sounds like a load of shit designed to disguise their shitty routing.
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:56 pm

I thought so too, but I was also told they detect what sort of service you are accessing your account through and route differently, and then they came with one I don't know about. Namely that the site you are accessing will serve the requested data deferently dependent on whether you are using dialup, ISDN, cable, broadband etc.

But, I will admit that I had stopped listening by that point as the owner of the site had moved his hosting from the UK to America, as in his words he had, "never been pissed about so much in his life before". He wanted to spend his money here, but decided it just wasn't worth the hassle from the host or his clients.

Since the move, he's had no trouble.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:37 am

Apollo wrote:Only complaint I had recently was the rather small x that warns of a popup, but nothing else. Well, ok, Lycos home page screws up some graphics, but that's not relevant either.

Sorry.

That will most likely be the 'new private message' popup.

HG: Advert free!

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:49 pm

Strangely eonugh, HG's 'New Prvate Message is on my Allowed List of popups, so can popup freely :)

Unlike my add-in for IE6, which sounds and alarm when a popup or new web window tries to open, Firefox just slips a quiet little x in the bottom left corner of the status bar. If you don't look, you don't know. Frustrating sometimes, but I'll live with it just for the pleasure of tabs, which IE doesn't grace us with.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Forum Help and Issues