Help I am having a problem with Internet Explorer

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Help I am having a problem with Internet Explorer

Postby johnnyanglia » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:53 am

Hi, Can anyone help. I had a problem with Internet Explorer a while back and now my add ons are disabled. I wish to enable add ons so that I can watch Youtube etc. Clicking on the bar that says "Click here to manage, disable, or remove your add ons" merely perplexes me. Can some nice HGer tell me how to enable my add ons, Ta in advance, Johnny. :D
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Help I am having a problem with Internet Explorer

Postby John » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:26 am

Why not bypass the problem altogether and use Google Chrome or Firefox? I only use IE when it is completely unavoidable.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Yep, Firefox works for me.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:44 pm

johnnyanglia wrote: Clicking on the bar that says "Click here to manage, disable, or remove your add ons"

sounds like your running an old version of IE

try updating it to IE8
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:56 pm

firefox is ace, download it, its free, ive never had any issues with it.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:53 am

Advice please...

I run IE8 and use Windows 7 - I am quite happy with both but recentlly certain words on each web page, eg. 'computer, money, university...' and so on have double lines appearing under them. It becomes annoying when you're tryting to scroll through a page and inadvertently click or hovver over the item - suddenly it takes you to adverts of containing those words...

Anybody help?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:27 am

Not unless I can replicate the problem. Is it just specific websites or all the time?

I don't get it but that's because I use Firefox with Adblock installed.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:24 pm

"There must be a relentless focus on ensuring that business is able to deliver growth and create employment," said David Frost, the BCC's director general.

In my cut and paste job from the BBC News site the word employment is double under-lined and when I click on it, the ''play sushi' link wants to take me to job sites, etc.

It happens with ALL sites including HG....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:00 pm

I have IE8 installed and it doesn't do this. I found the BBC web page you were looking at.

I don't know enough about IE, but it sounds like the page is sat in a frame which has a script or two running in it. Either that or IE has add-ons installed that are doing it or maybe you have a virus. I'll have to leave it to an IE bod to sort out, I'm afraid.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Thanks - a full virus scan revealed nothing and so off to the Instaled Programmes and there it was, a programme downloaded for games - one touch of a button, programme uninstalled, machine rebooted and hey presto - problem is gone. Thanks for your help anyway!
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:13 pm

Get yourself onto Firefox and install Adblock pro and NoScript ... all the annoying adverts and little doobries these techno boffins seem to want to foist upon us are all disabled.

With NoScript if you find a certain part of the site has been disabled when you don't want it to be .. seemples .. just click the NoScript icon and switch whatever part you need back on again.

I'm with John and the others on this one, I only use IE if I really, really have to. It's utter crap and should be designated to the subs bench forthwith.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Forum Help and Issues