Oddities

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Oddities

Postby mrsam » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:44 pm

http://www.virtual-bubblewrap.com/popnow.shtml

Promlem solved Mr Pencil

Mr Sam - Solving lifes problems one at a time....
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Well I thought this was a bit odd - hidden away in Dumfries, a fully-functioning Wimpy. Thought they'd all gone years ago:
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:11 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Well I thought this was a bit odd - hidden away in Dumfries, a fully-functioning Wimpy. Thought they'd all gone years ago:

I think I may be psychic as I'm sure I've seen that exact post from you previously. Maybe I dreamed it??
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:26 pm

Oh, uh, you're right actually. And here's me not even on the booze yet. Does that count as an oddity?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:05 pm

I'll try again :oops:

How to anger an advert:
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:01 am

Excellent. ::):
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:05 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Well I thought this was a bit odd - hidden away in Dumfries, a fully-functioning Wimpy. Thought they'd all gone years ago:

Wimpy never went, it's counter service restuarants were all rebranded as Burger King and the brand Wimpy along with the couple of hundred less desireable Wimpys were bought by a private group and still operate. There is one at M&D's I'm sure and I'm damn positive I've seen one somewhere in Glasgow, can't remember where though so I may very well be wrong. There is also one in the bowling alley in Kilmarnock, and the XS Superbowl in Paisley had one before it went kerput.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:28 pm

I would have had to have gone in for a Sausage Bender and those wonderful chips.

And a cup of tea out of a real cup and saucer.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Johnstone, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Arbroath, Dundee, Lockerbie, Aberdeen, Fraserburgh, Peterhead, Dumfries, Fife, Dingwall, Edinburgh, according to the website.

http://www.wimpy.uk.com/storelocator3.aspx
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Dave wrote:

Wimpy never went, it's counter service restuarants were all rebranded as Burger King and the brand Wimpy along with the couple of hundred less desireable Wimpys were bought by a private group and still operate. There is one at M&D's I'm sure and I'm damn positive I've seen one somewhere in Glasgow, can't remember where though so I may very well be wrong. There is also one in the bowling alley in Kilmarnock, and the XS Superbowl in Paisley had one before it went kerput.

Wasn't the Wimpy on Ingram Street still operating up until just a few years ago? IIRC it was situated in the premises one door along from O'Brien's.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:27 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
Dave wrote:

Wasn't the Wimpy on Ingram Street still operating up until just a few years ago? IIRC it was situated in the premises one door along from O'Brien's.

I'm not sure what qualifies as a few years ago, but there was one there.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Josef wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:
Dave wrote:

Circa 3-5 years ago??

I might be talking pish as I'm finding that, as I get older, I often think things happened more recently than they really did. For example, I recently heard a song that I hadn't heard in a long while and subsequently had a 'debate' with my missus about when it was in the charts; I was sure it was in the last 7 years or so, 10 tops, she was insistent it was much longer - a bit of googling revealed it was something like 15 or 16 years :oops:
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:I'm finding that, as I get older, I often think things happened more recently than they really did.

Indeed. I've been noticing the same thing since the Garden Festival eight or nine years ago.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:38 pm

Josef wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:I'm finding that, as I get older, I often think things happened more recently than they really did.

Indeed. I've been noticing the same thing since the Garden Festival eight or nine years ago.

You Bastard Joseph !

I just checked the date of that festival............................. 8O 8O :evil: :oops: 8O
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:39 pm

Josef wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:
Dave wrote:

That might be it, used to live in Glassford Street just as the Merchant City was starting to be redeveloped, Candleriggs market was still in full flow as was Goldbergs which was directly across from my close. Anyway it's not important and far from the point of the thread. Happy oddities folks. :)
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Sharing