Album of the Year

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Album of the Year

Postby potatojunkie » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:00 pm

Post your favourite shots you've taken of Glasgow in 2008, one for each month. Maybe a couple of lines about each one. Locations would be a nice bonus.

January
The garden of Queen's Crescent, Woodlands. I had a new lighting setup that I wanted to test outdoors, so I nipped out in between flurries of sleet. It was muddier than I expected, and the lighting stand kept blowing over, so I didn't get to experiment much before giving up and going home, but I like how this came out. I love this garden, I keep coming back to it.

February
Inside the projection room of the GFT. I had an exhibition planned for the end of February to coincide with the Glasgow Film Festival, and was extremely pleased when the GFT agreed to let me have a snoop around their old projection room. It's tiny, crammed full of machinery and film reels and ventilation ducts.

March
Osbourne Street, on the way to the Thirteenth Note. Played with the white balance a bit to bring out the blue. Part of an ongoing series on blue vs red.

April
Garnethill. Cracking piece of work, the photo really doesn't do it justice. Not my favourite April, photo, but the most "Glasgow" one by miles.

May
One of the alleyways off Queen Street. Sometimes the light is just perfect. This was one of those times.

June
It's been six months since the Stirlingfaulds Place demolition. Jeezo. Taken from the roof of Oswald Street car park. Was chuffed with these just because they looked so different to everyone else's photos of the same event.

July
Great Western Road. A combination of low sun and rain-slicked streets. It looks odd to see the sun in that part of the sky, given that it's setting on the other side of the river just now.

August
One of the high flats marking the boundary between Woodlands and Maryhill. I love the supports on the building lining up with the crossbar of the lamp-post. That and the tilt of its head lend it a lot of personality, I think.

September
View from the window of the flat in Queen's Crescent, out over the garden. Early experiments with foreground fill flash. Still well chuffed with how it turned out.

October
Ashton Lane during the Oxjam music festival. That's Samba Ya Bamba blocking up the lane.

November
The Hidden Lane, 1103 Argyle Street, as posted elsewhere not too long ago. I could go more days like this.

December
Gibson Street, by the entrance to Kelvingrove park. Took about a dozen photos of this traffic light, it looked quite magical.

Now you go.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Album of the Year

Postby Peetabix » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:54 pm

Cracking idea and amazing shots.

January | Woodside Terrace Lane - Went a wee walk through the town up to this point and realised I'd never noticed this lane before.

February | St Aidans Special School - I've always like this building and this probably the only shot I have of it.

March | The People's Palace - A great sunny day out with the wee man in the Green finished off with a wee visit to the People's Palace. Always a joy to shoot.

April | Botanic Gardens - I'm not really a flower person but I really like the colours and detail in this one

May | Templeton Carpet Factory - Another great building to shoot mostly because it looks so out of place

June | Clydebuilt Maritime Museum - It was a surprise to find this sculpture here as I never knew it existed

July | Whitelaw Monument - Like the feeling that the Whitelaw monument is looking out for the city.

August | Hunterian Museum - An amazing part of Glasgow University that I spent a good couple of hours walking around

September | Buchanan Street - The girl in red just looked lost in her thoughts with all the crazy shoppers around her

October - Old Man on Buchanan Street - Sometimes I just sit and watch people go by and wonder what's going in their life

November | Garthamlock Water Towers - When I spotted the moon and the tower silhouette I couldn't pass up the chance of a shot

December | The Schoolhouse - I always try and take a pic on my once a week walk from Bellgrove train station to Bridgeton, this is probably the best I've got so far

Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottwramsay » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:07 am

PJ - I like the fact that I've seen most of your photos here on the forum already. It makes it feel like a real run-down of the year's top stuff :D

I'm liking your June entry - the shape of the dust cloud at the top of the tower lends some motion to a photo that's obviously taken on such a shutter speed that everything else is nicely frozen, and also July's sunset. December's cobwebs are great - I remember going outside into my garden that same day (from the Flickr exif data) and seeing my first ever massively-exaggerated frost-encrusted web, but I was really disappointed with the photo I got of it. Party because my boyfriend was waiting for me in the car and I couldn't spend ages messing around like I normally do with photos... But I could hardly believe my eyes.

Peetabix - I like the drama in your May entry. I know a lot of of people will say that it has to do with the HDR treatment, but that's part of what digital photography's all about isn't it? It's the lines in the brickwork that do it for me. October's another one I really like. You managed to get someone with a distinctive face making a distinctive expression.

Here's my go:

January - I didn't take many this month but this was my favourite view of the museum ever. It didn't quite translate into a photo though - view it any larger and the moon looks rubbish.

February - On a really, really foggy night walking through the Glasgow Uni campus.

March - Again on campus, kneeling on the rainproof cover for my camera bag, on the wet grass, with students walking by me on the paths looking like a real anorak.

April - At Loch Lomond.

May - On a rare sunny day under the bridge at Offshore, just inside Kelvingrove Park.

(Note to anyone checking the dates on Flickr: I don't actually have many from June or July so I'm gonna cheat and borrow two more May ones...)

June - Check out the expression on the face of the other photographer at the bottom of the wall.

July - The remnants of a bin in a car park in Balmaha one afternoon - someone had put a disposable BBQ into it. (Taken, incidentally, in broad daylight but with such a fast shutter speed to freeze the flames that nothing else got exposed.)

August - My first outing with an old half-broken Zenit EM and some expired film.

September - A canoe polo competition on a river in N. Ireland. What looks like fierce determination in his eye turns out, on closer inspection, to be just a conveniently placed drop of water.

October - On top of a hill in Crieff, when me and a couple of friends went on a 'Walk with a photographer' as part of the Drovers' Tryst festival.

November - This guy was just walking down North Frederick St.

December - I at least uploaded this one in December, even if I didn't necessarily take it then.

http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:33 am

Oh, all right, I'll play. :D

It strikes me, looking at PJ's choices (since I'm more familiar with his Flickr photostream than the others - sorry :oops: ), how much personal choices differ from democratic ones. And then, looking through my own Flickr stuff, that my own favourites were almost invariably the ones that got least views.

PJ's June, August and November, Peetabix's May and Scott's June are simply remarkably good, so to bring the average back down to mere mortal levels :

January
HG connection no 1 : the tail end of last year's walk.

February
Down the docks, what remains of them, anyway.

March
HG connection no 2 : the Tunnocks tour. Rather fetching, I think :D

April
Another glorious spring day brought the puppet master out.

May
A day trip to Arran. All that beautiful scenery, and I end up with a photo of a rope. Well, I was on my way back to Glasgow...

June
Don't even ask. I just love the carpet.

July
Another nul points as far as the public goes, but the seagulls wheeling past a dilapidated Lorne Park Hotel gets me every time.

August
Urban renovation continues apace down at the Ibrox docks.

September
Can't really remember what I was doing in September, but it obviously wasn't taking photos. This window lit up a gloomy Queen Street, though.

October
A natural "B&W with colour", down in Kinning Park.

November
HG connection no 3 : the amazingly ornate City Chambers.

December
All the fun of the fair.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:55 am

Nice idea.

January - I didn't post any pictures - I must have taken some...

Feb
Walking along the Kelvin - Marie in the sun.

March
Adult fun and a dose of religion behind the Barras.

April
A spot of photoshoppery

May
Dozens of pics of the Australian Pink Floyd show.

June
A wedding car at Duck Bay

July
Such fine weather by the sea...
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3223/2702070752_533df70024.jpg[img]

August
Through the porthole in the bog on the Waverley !

Sept
We went to Mexico. Maybe I should have chosen one of the sea !

Octember
A bit of cheating here * Makes up for the missin January one ! MAtter of fact - Oct was great 0 brilliant light every time I went out.
This one was on the BBC website.
This shot I just love the light arriving.

November
Govan old church.

December
I finally got to take an HDR pic ( see elsewhere)
Icy days make great shots come at ya !

If you fancy a trawl
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:34 pm

ok i'll play kept mine in Glasgow :mrgreen:

Jan

Feb

March

April

May.. Visit to Panopticon

June

July

Aug

Sept

Oct

Nov

dec

OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dave2 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:55 pm

January - a bridge near Lesmahagow

February - I like the blurry effect somehow.....

March - the sea at Helensburgh

April - EICC Edinburgh

May - What the.....?

June - near Linlithgow station

July - Looking into the old GPO building

August - Edinburgh Festival

September - a sneaky cheat a second from August....this time Bergen harbour looking West at Sunset

October - Duke St

November - Ayr Racecourse Fireworks

December - Icicles
dave2
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:04 pm

PJ - If you ever publish a book I will be first in the queue to purchase it. I have been looking at your photos for a couple of years now and still find myself astonished by your artistry.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Josef » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:18 pm

JohnR wrote:PJ - If you ever publish a book I will be first in the queue to purchase it. I have been looking at your photos for a couple of years now and still find myself astonished by your artistry.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8103. :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:41 pm

:oops:
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:38 am

Bloody Febuary and I just noticed this,not toooo late I hope. :D
Before I post mine I would like to say there is some cracking stuff on here already,
Top shots guys !!!
Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr

May

Jun

Jul
Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov
Dec

Cumbo
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Digitographer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:33 am

This is a seriously good thread and there are some *amazing* shots here.
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby murr33 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Brill pics here had to look at them again fab well done
murr33
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby govanboay » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:59 pm

classic pics here guys. Very inspiring.

paul.
govanboay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:21 pm

JohnR wrote:PJ - If you ever publish a book I will be first in the queue to purchase it. I have been looking at your photos for a couple of years now and still find myself astonished by your artistry.

Agreed. I wonder if there'd be a market for an HG annual? There's an astonishing array of photographic talent on this forum.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Photo Sharing