Bricks

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bricks

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:45 pm

Time to hold my hands up here. As anyone who has been out on a wander with me will know, one of my pet hates is the way new brick builds tend to 'weep' white streaks. I've always voiced the fact that older brick builds never show this tendency. Alas I have been proved wrong. I read an article last week where one householder was asking how to remove the unseemly white streaks from their bricks, the answer was never to wash off with water, better to use a dry brush but to be aware also that these streaks are inherent in brick builds & the reason that we don't see them in older brick buildings is that, over time, they disappear naturally. 8O

No more moaning from me on the subject.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 2HB » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:19 am

HollowHorn wrote:Time to hold my hands up here. As anyone who has been out on a wander with me will know, one of my pet hates is the way new brick builds tend to 'weep' white streaks. I've always voiced the fact that older brick builds never show this tendency. Alas I have been proved wrong. I read an article last week where one householder was asking how to remove the unseemly white streaks from their bricks, the answer was never to wash off with water, better to use a dry brush but to be aware also that these streaks are inherent in brick builds & the reason that we don't see them in older brick buildings is that, over time, they disappear naturally. 8O

No more moaning from me on the subject.

The technical term for this is efflorescence caused by salts produced in the mortars.Brick acid can clean this but it's not the nicest of jobs especially on a windy day!!.Most new builds have teams of labourers at the near completion of sites trying to remove this unsightly eyesore.Sadly its accelerated with the Scottish climate and the acidic rain we have nowadays.Water on it's own cant remove it only makes it worse.
2HB
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:55 am

3 bricks from the site of the former Etna Foundry at Port Eglinton:

Dewar

A Thomson

A R
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:37 am

Vinegar Tom wrote:
A Thomson

I think you'll find a Thompson is another sort of 'brickie' entirely. :wink:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:20 pm

Better mind your "P"s big man ::):

I had a wee wander at the site of the Blantyre Ferme anti-aircraft position on Saturday morning. Well worth a visit.
I got a bit distracted by the bricks though :-)

Blantyre Ferme

Unidentified Glasgow half brick

Hamilton bricks in the site

National Coal Board Newton

Packman?

S&K Ltd Sanquar

SBC
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:23 pm

Scottish Brick Company?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby myfriendstan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:24 pm

myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:39 am

Well TY HG for having a thread on bricks ::): for there's something that I've been looking for ages.

Does anyone know the name/type of brick that used to be in Glasgow yoinks ago - I've never seen it anywhere else in my travels? It was dark red and shiny usually used for boundary walls and in particular it was used for the longest wall I ever saw (as a child) in Possilpark, a wall that seemed to stretch for miles round about Sunnylaw Street/Panmure St . There is something like it around Scotstoun Leisure Centre but not quite as shiny as the other one.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Found these in a field near Hawkhead House Farm

The Wikipedia entry for Accrington in Lancashire states: the town is famed for manufacturing the hardest and densest building bricks in the world, "The Accrington NORI" (iron), which were used in the construction of the Empire State Building and for the foundations of Blackpool Tower.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Lovely stuff 8)

On a far less glamorous note (Empire State Building indeed!), here's a brick all the way from sunny Armadale, currently still in situ with its pals in Bangour Village Hospital:
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:21 pm

Do any of you lot collect named bricks ? If so lets see your wee pile :)
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:07 pm

At a Brickworks in Ayrshire

minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:37 pm

glasgowken wrote:Do any of you lot collect named bricks ? If so lets see your wee pile :)

I know of at least two people on HG who are collecting named bricks with a view to an eventual wall. With the names facing outward, naturally.

They're obviously shy.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:55 am

Josef wrote:
glasgowken wrote:Do any of you lot collect named bricks ? If so lets see your wee pile :)

I know of at least two people on HG who are collecting named bricks with a view to an eventual wall. With the names facing outward, naturally.

They're obviously shy.

:D
Would any of them or indeed anyone have the answer to my post a bit up the thread?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:48 pm

The standard size of Scottish "blaize" / clay brick was bigger than an English brick.This created problems for builders. Now bricks are standardized sizes. However 100 odd years ago Scottish brickmakers tended to have their own size of brick!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Sharing