Bricks

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bricks

Postby scaryman2u » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Josef wrote:
glasgowken wrote:Do any of you lot collect named bricks ? If so lets see your wee pile :)

I know of at least two people on HG who are collecting named bricks with a view to an eventual wall. With the names facing outward, naturally.

They're obviously shy.

All the bricks I have collected are stored at different locations and I haven`t taken pics of most of them, but they will be gathered up in the next few weeks as the great wall building scenario is imminent

Just been busy Josef, i`ve been called a lot of thnigs, but shy isn`t one of them :P

Bridie wrote
Does anyone know the name/type of brick that used to be in Glasgow yoinks ago - I've never seen it anywhere else in my travels? It was dark red and shiny

I may be wrong Bridie, but red shiny bricks are usually called `Engineering Bricks` , don`t know if hat`s just a demo term for them as construction and demolition have different names for most things.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:11 am

scaryman2u wrote:[I may be wrong Bridie, but red shiny bricks are usually called `Engineering Bricks` , don`t know if hat`s just a demo term for them as construction and demolition have different names for most things.

Thanks scaryman you might be right as far as I know an engineering brick is a more hard wearing brick and has holes in the middle and is usually used for manholes/boundary walls. The walls I'm thinking about are all boundary walls built a long time ago, the finsh of the brick is smooth and glass like and a deep red colour - no doubt they don't make them of that standard and finish now. :roll:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Some from Fife

Hill of Beath
Lochside
Blairadam
Could be Boghead ?
Bowhill

These were all on the beach just east of Torryburn on the 76 cycle route if anyone wants one. They may have come from the Valleyfield Colliery pit baths as there was a lot of tiles and glazed ware with them
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby EdBoyle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:43 pm

All reference above relating to

http://www.boyle.ukpals.com/Cambuslang/

should now read...

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/

Ed Boyle
EdBoyle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Vinegar Tom » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:37 pm

A few bricks from the Govan Graving Docks:

27 gilmour and co by vinegartom40, on Flickr

26 electric cable on a capstan by vinegartom40, on Flickr

25 buccleuch by vinegartom40, on Flickr

24 brick by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Just a heads up to those who may be interested. Upon visiting my GP in Halfway, Cambuslang last week I noticed that the petrol garage opposite the Sun Inn pub has been demolished and that there seems to be a healthy collection of locally marked bricks.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jamesieboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:19 pm

I have a nitshill brick if anyone wants it . Im happy to let you see it
jamesieboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby StrachMan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 am

StrachMan
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Monument » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:15 pm

A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:04 pm

The bricks in the film are English hand made and /or wire cut open fired. English bricks are a smaller size than the traditional Scottish brick. However as English building companies took over most of the Scottish brick companies by the late
1940s most Scottish bricks were to the smaller English size. The common Scottish brick was made from blaize/black shale in Hoffman Continuous Kilns. Large scale industrial brick making. Not the small scale effort as in the film. I have seen invoices for bricks delivered on site in the early 1930 to Mosspark, Knightswood etc at a price of 52 shillings per thousand.
The earlier terracotta type brick from red clay was made in updraught kilns. These are quite common on old buildings in the Glasgow area. There is still a small cottage industry in England making the type of brick in the film. These are used by English Heritage and others in the preservation of "historic" buildings.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:28 pm

Moonbeam - you know a lot about bricks!
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:13 am

I worked at 15 as a summer holiday job while still at school and at weekends in a friend of my dads brickworks where he was foreman.The brickworks are long gone. They had Hoffman Kilns and automated brick making machines made by a
company in Cambuslang - Mitchells I think. We loaded the bricks in the kilns and took them out. Hard work
started at 7.45 am and finished at 5pm and got I think £4- 5 shillings a week. Got extra for a Saturday morning I think 10s or 15s! My job was often to go to the shops for the "ginger".Hard work. We had tramps at night used to sleep at the warm kilns. But it was a very busy place because they were building all these new housing schemes, Easterhouse, Castlemilk etc.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mulledwine » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Good afternoon all. I am a keen collector of Scottish bricks and Scottish brick industry information. Please see www.scottishbrickhistory.co.uk
During some research I stumbled across your site and a few bricks that I have not as yet catalogued on my website ( all credit of course given to originating sites if I do not possess the brick myself).
Living in the Borders means no local bricks for me and I have to travel to find them.
Glasgow and surrounding area was obviously the hub of the Scottish brick manufacturing so I would be very interested in securing the help of some keen and enthusiastic individuals to help point me in the right direction to look for bricks in the Glasgow area. Sometimes locals also collect for me and I always uplift at my expense.
The idea is to rescue and preserve a physical example of each Scottish brickmark which is not easy as we basically dont know what they all are or how many there are!
Please get in touch if you can direct me to the motherlode - if you wish to accompany me then the bacon sarnies are on me !
best regards
Mulledwine
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby banjo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 pm

i have one with airdrie on it,just saying like. :roll:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:50 pm

The ones I posted you're free to use the pics of, don't possess the actual bricks though. Your best bet is places like demolition sites, cleared sites and former industrial sites. Be quick, though - of the ones I posted, around half the sites have been redeveloped now.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Sharing