Breadalbane Street - Anderston

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Breadalbane Street - Anderston

Postby bearsontoor » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:27 pm

Hiya,

Does anyone have any old photos of the above or indeed can you advise me where I might find these.

I know that the street was demolished (70's?) for new build and all that is left is the street name sign, on a street light pole, while all around appears not to have been touched.

Any help would be most appreciated, its where I was born and I have many happy memories as most of my family, aunts, uncles and granny lived there as well.

Trust this is appropriate for this forum.

Regards.

Alan.
bearsontoor
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Breadalbane Street - Anderston

Postby red_kola » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:44 pm

All I can find right now:
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSD00533

A wee bit of the street does remain with Bannisters (?) pub on the corner of it and St Vincent Street. Perhaps some kind person with a SCRAN login might be able to find something more ...? Image
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Breadalbane St

Postby pwh60_2 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:21 pm

Hi,
Try Yahoo groups (kentrd) - it's a group for those interested in Kent Rd Primary School - and the places they lived in - no doubt you'll meet some old neighbours, and there are plenty photos of the area.
Did you call Breadalbane St Breadalb-i-ane St too?
Pete
pwh60, pwh60UK
pwh60_2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby red_kola » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:34 pm

Beautiful building it was too...

I've tried a few times to do a Past Present with this shot but it just can't be done (and the results would be too depressing anyway).
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:57 pm

red_kola wrote:Beautiful building it was too...
I've tried a few times to do a Past Present with this shot but it just can't be done (and the results would be too depressing anyway).

No please do it Red cola - lets just see how bad it really is
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby pwh60_2 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:55 pm

Great photo - first shot of the old school I've seen without the lorry parked outside!
Bit of useless information - this is the Kent Rd view, gate on the left is the boy's gate beside the janitor's house, gate on the right is the girl's gate, and for the first time I've noticed the smaller building at the back - the infant's school on Berekeley St.
Pete
pwh60, pwh60UK
pwh60_2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby red_kola » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:45 am

Modern Fossil wrote:No please do it Red cola - lets just see how bad it really is
Please don't do one of your overlays on this one as you'll see I'm a few feet out :wink:
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:22 pm

pwh60_2 wrote:Bit of useless information - this is the Kent Rd view, gate on the left is the boy's gate beside the janitor's house, gate on the right is the girl's gate, and for the first time I've noticed the smaller building at the back - the infant's school on Berekeley St.

The Janitors house was beautiful. Here's another pic:

What I've only just noticed is that Woodside Secondary School appears to have been built around the earlier school whilst it was still in situ. You can see the main building on the right and the swimming pool block (itself now demolished) on the left. So they cleared this lovely building to make way for a playground? Now I'm even more depressed... :twisted:
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwh60_2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:06 pm

Fantastic photo.
cheers
Pete
pwh60, pwh60UK
pwh60_2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby duck » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:13 am

What number did you live in? My grandfather and his family lived there at number 18 at the beginning of the century ( 20th that is, of course!) I had a look on Scran but nothing I'm afraid and nothing on Virtual Mitchell either.
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:50 pm

My recollection is that the school was bounded on the east by Claremont Street, as opposed to Breadalbane Street. The picture showing the Congregational (?) church, now the Henry Wood Hall, would seem to support this.

I also recall that the Infants Department to the rear of the site housed the junior secondary domestic science classrooms on the lower floor, level with the rear playground.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:12 pm

onyirtodd wrote:My recollection is that the school was bounded on the east by Claremont Street, as opposed to Breadalbane Street.

Indeed it does. This thread has gone slightly off-topic; mea culpa, and I apologise for that, I should have made this clear. I was also wrong earlier about the pub Bannisters which is a the south end of Claremont Street also.

There is still one tenement close at the St Vincent Street end of Breadalbane street and a newbuild block on the site of Sandyford UP Church, but all of the west side of Breadalbane St and all of it north of Dover Street has indeed vanished.
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:34 pm

red_kola wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:My recollection is that the school was bounded on the east by Claremont Street, as opposed to Breadalbane Street.

Indeed it does. This thread has gone slightly off-topic; mea culpa, and I apologise for that, I should have made this clear. I was also wrong earlier about the pub Bannisters which is a the south end of Claremont Street also.

There is still one tenement close at the St Vincent Street end of Breadalbane street and a newbuild block on the site of Sandyford UP Church, but all of the west side of Breadalbane St and all of it north of Dover Street has indeed vanished.

This Image

is the current proposal for the St Vincent/ Breadalbane/ wee Dover St site.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Photo Sharing