photo stitching / panoramas

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Sharon » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:19 pm

Think I should run off a few postcards?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:38 pm

Sharon wrote:Think I should run off a few postcards?

Go for it :!:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:43 pm

I'll gladly buy one.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gazzathecoigne » Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:54 pm

Oh dear. Check the nik of my first ever effort. View from underneath my bedroom window earlier on this evening.

If no body's perfect, why practise?
Gazzathecoigne
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:06 pm

Sharon wrote:Think I should run off a few postcards?

Yes, it is a good shot - something that would look good framed even.

The nice pastelish tones of the sky work perfectly with it, and to me any clouds' probably would have detracted from it.
(although people always tell you to have a good dramatic sky).
The blues' work well with the silver - what can I say?

The only slight distraction is the Finneston Crane, but that quite minor.

Just clean and uncluttered - I'd buy it.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:26 am

Hmmm.. i think the Crane being so marginalised, small and in the background compared with the science centre and imax is making a statement about Glasgow. Was that intended?

Lovely pic by the way :D
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:36 am

JamesMc wrote:Hmmm.. i think the Crane being so marginalised, small and in the background compared with the science centre and imax is making a statement about Glasgow. Was that intended?

Well the Crane really is one of the major symbols of the city, it dominates the skyline and for me it really gives a 'feel' to the photograph - I think the Crane symbolises Glasgow more than the GSc does.

Stunning picture.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JamesMc » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:55 am

purplegrum wrote:
JamesMc wrote:Hmmm.. i think the Crane being so marginalised, small and in the background compared with the science centre and imax is making a statement about Glasgow. Was that intended?

Well the Crane really is one of the major symbols of the city, it dominates the skyline and for me it really gives a 'feel' to the photograph - I think the Crane symbolises Glasgow more than the GSc does.

Stunning picture.

Totally agree with that, but maybe representative of decline of shipbuilding and the emphasis now on tourism and leisure industries? or am i reading too much into it...
I see dead buildings...
JamesMc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:02 am

The Finnieston Crane is more a symbol of the demise of heavy industries on the Clyde, and with it, the power of the second city of the empire. Give the Science Centre and tower some time, it has already become one of the most identifiable Glasgow landmarks, I'm sure it'll become an enduring symbol of the new Glasgow we're attempting to create.

Great pic Sharon.... get the merchandise turned out :wink:

Crusty :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby purplegrum » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:06 am

crusty_bint wrote:Give the Science Centre and tower some time, it has already become one of the most identifiable Glasgow landmarks, I'm sure it'll become an enduring symbol of the new Glasgow we're attempting to create.

I think you're right Crusty, but in that case I wish they would do something about the place - the car park is full of weeds, the water surrounding the entrance is filthy and half the exhibits inside don't work.

Shame really.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:12 am

It is a shame grum, I've often thought that. The tower is an amazing piece of engineering and one I doubt will be re-created for a long time! Hopefully now that its operational again it'll attract more visitors to the place, I think that's what they're trying to do by berthing the Waverly down there as well, and this'll bring some much needed cash to the place, instead of relying on scripted handouts.

We've got something to be proud of there (unlike a lot of the Clyde regeneration plans), so as Plastic Del says:

"Support local businesses"

take a trip to the science centre and "pull a weed for Glasgow"
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby purplegrum » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:19 am

crusty_bint wrote:take a trip to the science centre and "pull a weed for Glasgow"

Could that be the start of anoter HG trip? Go visit the docks next door then head to the GSc car park with some weed killer and watering cans?! ;)

It is a great day out tho, I was there the other week and thoroughly enjoyed it - especially the IMAX. Might go again now the school holidays are over and the kids won't be there (so I can get to play with more things).

Grum
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:51 pm

JamesMc wrote:Hmmm.. i think the Crane being so marginalised, small and in the background compared with the science centre and imax is making a statement about Glasgow.

I know, but I was just talking about the picture in general.

Forget I said anything......
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:13 pm

Speedbird wrote:I know, but I was just talking about the picture in general.

Forget I said anything......

I totally get what you mean speedy, the crane protruding at the end there does detract from the horizontal flow of the composition, but like you say, its just a wee teeny minor thing.

crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Sharon » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:26 pm

Wow. That is the best photo crit to date on here!!

I can honestly say though, that when taking the photos, the crane actually didnat really figure too much in how I was composing it. I was just looking at how the railings and buildings sat together.

Looking at the comments though, it does disrupt the horizontal flow of the image, which would be an argument for doing a wee spot of selective editing.

But then there is the point that it cpuld be totally symbolic of the Clydeside evolution, which means leave it be....

interesting...we should have more of this!!! I love crits!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Sharing